U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2017, 06:55 PM

16 posts, read 27,391 times

Advertisements

Since prices for homes in southern NH are high, I wonder how possible it is to buy land and put a mobile/manufactured home on it

Don't need too much land, I've seen some on Zillow in places like Webster that are fairly low. Some will state restrictions other do not.

Is it hard to find land that allows them? Is it too much of a hassel to appeal to a town if you are living in the country part of town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 05:01 AM

371 posts, read 369,576 times
I bought a small lot in Plainfield, NH many years ago and put up a mobile home. Zoning allowed it so it wasn't an issue. You have to check with the town before you buy any land to make sure that mobile homes are allowed, and don't bother trying to appeal any zoning restrictions. You would be better served putting up a modular home if you can, as you can avoid the manufactured (mobile) home restrictions as well as having a home that will appreciate like a stick-built house.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:40 AM

454 posts, read 295,330 times
What is your goal? Just to own rather than rent?

Old 03-29-2017, 09:51 AM

4,727 posts, read 4,848,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
Well we haven't heard from original poster.

Zoning and building codes play a big part in all of this.

Probably have to put a well and a septic system in. Costly.

Best to find a lot that already has a unit in place. Usually those lots are grandfathered in. And you could replace an older unit with a new unit without much hassle.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:03 AM

421 posts, read 194,443 times
Number of towns I think have restrictions on this.

Also, I've read that mortgages can't be taken out on trailers over 15 years or so of age. Unlike stick built homes, trailer homes are a bit like cars: they aren't expected to last more than 20 or so years (regardless of how long they might last). This is due to the way they are built: not built to go the distance. [Also, I've read that they adhere to different standards in construction, things are done differently, different plumbing, etc. Different story but figured I'd point that out too.]

Old 03-29-2017, 07:50 PM

16 posts, read 27,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
Basically yes

I've looked into some of the stick built and modular.

Any places that build homes you might suggest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or