Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 12:03 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorazepam71 View Post
I LOVE reading stuff like this, as it shows utter ignorance of how statistics work, and another example of ‘alternative facts’ ;-)
Been in the ED for many a year; my profession is not for discussion.
Anyway, here I go:
1). Route 202 accident statement: Sample size of one. Merely proves existence, no more.
2). ‘No evidence to support claim affects health care costs’. This therefore is a non-sequitur statement, as it neither supports nor refutes your assertions.
3). If you cannot demonstrate the KFF hospital expenses, based on demographics, it is purely hearsay.
4). When you repeatedly state ‘there is no evidence’, it purely indicates ostrich-head-in-sand defense, which really, really affects your credibility (gullibility).
5). Knowing the proper scientific method, with control variables and data sources and samples, will stop knee-jerk reactions from news headline-readers.
Personally, when I see a motorcycle accident victim come into the ED (especially the ones without helmets, or ‘fake ones’ made from half a basketball spray-painted black), it always raises hopes for organ donation, from what we all here call motorcyclists as ‘organ donors’. I ship them off to the appropriate departments, usually the morgue.
Just my opinion, but in 30 years of experience treating them has some influence. I consider it Darwinism at work, to which many of us are thankful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My apologies that facts do not align with your opinion but it is these facts that are influencing states to repeal draconian helmet laws that have shown NO significant life or injury saving benefits. Too bad it is pretty much too late to do the same with seatbelt laws.. you like being controlled by the state fine by me.. I prefer freedom of choice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 03:32 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,725,665 times
As the thread continues, I'd like to remind you all to stay calm, respectful and on topic. Also please stop confusing fact with opinion.
Yac.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:30 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,073 times
After reading and contributing to this thread over the last few weeks, I've been really attuned into vehicle noise while out and about. While there has been lots of motorcycle noise, the real head-turners have been 4X4 pickup trucks with modified exhaust and obnoxious behavior stomping on the gas pedal. They don't seem to get any heat though.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
After reading and contributing to this thread over the last few weeks, I've been really attuned into vehicle noise while out and about. While there has been lots of motorcycle noise, the real head-turners have been 4X4 pickup trucks with modified exhaust and obnoxious behavior stomping on the gas pedal. They don't seem to get any heat though.
My neighbor was apparently adjusting his Harley last night, making a racket in the process and that was the only real motorcycle noise to speak of in weeks..now that yellow Porsche the two mid 80's Chevy pick ups and the various foreign tuner cars are another story.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:31 PM

557 posts, read 606,096 times
It's 1130 at night and someone on a Harley just blasted down my 35 mph speed limit street at probably 65-70 with what sounds like straight pipes. 3 min or so have elapsed, and I can still hear him making his way through the town. How is this acceptable? Why doesn't some organization like the Harley Owners Group say something to its members to perhaps be better citizens? Yes, there are other noisy vehicles, but in my town, on my street, Harley drivers are the worst offenders.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder View Post
It's 1130 at night and someone on a Harley just blasted down my 35 mph speed limit street at probably 65-70 with what sounds like straight pipes. 3 min or so have elapsed, and I can still hear him making his way through the town. How is this acceptable? Why doesn't some organization like the Harley Owners Group say something to its members to perhaps be better citizens? Yes, there are other noisy vehicles, but in my town, on my street, Harley drivers are the worst offenders.
Do you expect all Jeep owners to say something to the jerks who destroy private or wetlands with their Wranglers? Should all parents be called to task over the family that allows their rug rats to run wild? Do you honestly think that every Harley rider is part of H.O.G.? A better question would be why isn't your local Police department doing their job and enforcing laws? Oh wait, even they can be everywhere at once and most times by the time they show up the noise is gone.

Trust me, I know the irritation .. ever been woken up in the middle of the night by gun shots from your neighbor's house ( like at 2:00 am? ) I called the police and was told he may be shooting at a varmint and has the right to do so..so while I empathize with your plight I also realize one thing..life is full of small irritations that one just has to deal with and move on.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKChap View Post
My only comment on this topic:

Fatality Facts

http://www.americanjournalofsurgery....366-X/fulltext (bicycles)

Read:

[SIZE=3]1).[/SIZE] National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. 2016. Traffic safety facts, 2014: motorcycles. Report no. DOT HS-812-292. Washington, DC: US Department of Transportation.

[SIZE=3]2).[/SIZE] Deutermann, W. 2004. Motorcycle helmet effectiveness revisited. Report no. DOT HS-809-715. Washington, DC: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Those should be sufficient facts. IIHS, NHTSA, AJOS, and AANS are not exactly made-up entities. (and we reference them here in the UK).
Yes I am sure you do.. keeps the people under control

Groups such as the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Centers for Disease
control (CDC) often use questionable methods in coming to conclusions about the effectiveness of mandatory motorcycle
helmet laws. For instance, both groups often compare motorcycle fatalities to Vehicle Miles Traveled (VMT) even
though there is no reliable method to determine motorcycle VMT. The Transportation Research Board of the National Academies
has recently warned that there is no uniformity of motorcycle VMT estimation methods among the states, and no validation
of the accuracy of various methods. They further point out that past motorcycle VMT have demonstrated a decrease
in VMT despite increased motorcycle registrations and sales. Accurate conclusions may only be drawn from accurate data.

The August 2007 “Traffic Safety Facts” from NHTSA points out that two of the states with the highest increase
in motorcycle fatalities were Alabama and California which have universal helmet laws.

The same document advises that Alabama is also among the states with the highest percentage increase in
motorcycle fatalities at 69.4%.
The report shows that 12 states with universal helmet laws experienced increased fatalities while at least 19 states without such laws recognized a decrease.

The National Transportation Safety Board has investigated over 120,000 airplane incidents, over 60,000 surface transportation
incidents, and just 6 individual motorcycle incidents in their entire 44 year history — Apparently enough
investigation to warrant adding mandatory helmet laws for motorcyclists on their “top ten most wanted list”.

Between 2008 and 2011, jurisdictions with mandatory motorcycle helmet laws averaged 60.26 motorcycle
related fatalities per 100,000 registered motorcycles. States with laws allowing adults to choose whether or not to wear
a helmet averaged 57.90 motorcycle related fatalities per 100,000 registered motorcycles during that same period.

Bottom line..it's a crap shoot

Old 05-28-2017, 09:30 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Bottom line..it's a crap shoot
Not really. It's not a crap shoot. The FACT is that if you are knocked off your motorcycle for any reason at all and your head makes contact with the pavement or any hard object (trees, guardrail, cars passing by, or any part of your motorcycle)... your head will crack open like an egg. It's just plain physics. A proper Snell SA 2015 FIA/ DOT Certified motorcycle helmet (not one of those stupid German helmet ones, is going to make a positive difference in a situation where your softer head is making contact with a much harder surface.

Don't confuse the "crap shoot" of the likelihood of ever getting into a motorcycle accident or collision in your lifetime with what happens AFTER you get into said "crap shoot" of an unplanned motorcycle crash event.

And the said thing goes for the smarter motorcyclists wearing full motorcycle riding leather gear versus those motorcyclists only wearing tank tops and jeans while cruising on the roads... especially on the interstates. Geez... how stupid can one get?

Broken bones mend, brains are irreplaceable and there is only so much a plastic surgeon can do in regards to road rash.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Not really. It's not a crap shoot. The FACT is that if you are knocked off your motorcycle for any reason at all and your head makes contact with the pavement or any hard object (trees, guardrail, cars passing by, or any part of your motorcycle)... your head will crack open like an egg. It's just plain physics. A proper Snell SA 2015 FIA/ DOT Certified motorcycle helmet (not one of those stupid German helmet ones, is going to make a positive difference in a situation where your softer head is making contact with a much harder surface.

Don't confuse the "crap shoot" of the likelihood of ever getting into a motorcycle accident or collision in your lifetime with what happens AFTER you get into said "crap shoot" of an unplanned motorcycle crash event.

And the said thing goes for the smarter motorcyclists wearing full motorcycle riding leather gear versus those motorcyclists only wearing tank tops and jeans while cruising on the roads... especially on the interstates. Geez... how stupid can one get?

Broken bones mend, brains are irreplaceable and there is only so much a plastic surgeon can do in regards to road rash.

You are correct I apologize, it isn't a crap shoot at all, statistically you are more likely to die while wearing a helmet than if you were not .. thank you for pointing out my error

Old 05-28-2017, 04:31 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
You are correct I apologize, it isn't a crap shoot at all, statistically you are more likely to die while wearing a helmet than if you were not .. thank you for pointing out my error
And do those statistics show whether cause of death with/without helmet was due to head injuries vs. ruptured spleen, pulmonary contusion, pelvic fracture, etc? Just saying that statistics show you're more likely to die while wearing a helmet provides no information about causality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire