U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 12:33 PM

143 posts, read 195,777 times

Advertisements

I replaced all our bulbs except outdoor security lights and indoor spot lights from top of beams(24 ft), which are difficult to get to. Then I started replacing those cfl's with led's about 5 years ago. I have had only 2 cfl bulbs go out, and need to be replaced. I havent noticed any reduction in my electric bill because as someone noted, most use is in stove, fridge, and tv's/electronics. Also eversourse has increased rates at a fairly rapid rate. So, even though rates have gone up, my bill hasnt.....so maybe that is a victory. I will say I even replaced my outdoor security lights with brighter led's......I even replaced my over stove/microwave lights with LED's. OH! I did have one led go out....it is a small 10w spot led over my sink, and it stayed on continuously for about 6 years.......literally, we may have shut it off by accident, but otherwise it stayed on 99% of the time. So...in hours......about 367,000 hours? Take off maybe 7000 hrs.....so 360k? Thats awesome in my book. I buy mine online in packs/multiples to get a discount. So if I figure out wattage savings.....its like 10w instead of 60w, plus a whiter light, which seems brighter to me. I bet I saved quite a bit. I had to replace several of these little spot halogens before switching to led's. I think the cost is probably offset, but I know some light bulbs......I just bought an led for my basement that was 48 bucks, but it is a 300w equivalent, with only 54w use.....so this will have to last at least 10 years, actually more to offset the cost. But saving that much electricity I believe is a fairly easy offset. The CFL's have gotten really cheap.....so those are next best. But, they take a minute to warm up to full brightness, they dont work well in dimmers, and I am tired of the yellow "soft" light.....I prefer the whitish blue of LED's. Just replacing the little halogen's in my microwave went from 30w halogens, to 5w led's that put out 45w of light, but it seems like a lot more. So I save 25w an hour, and get 50% more, better/brighter light. No brainer to me. And, the cost was 13 bucks....the recovery cost was less than 6 months based on usage. Another no brainer. The best are the outdoor floor security lights I paid 48 bucks for, I bought four for just under 200 about 2 years ago......they are 180w equivalent and are MUCH brighter, just a matter of time to see if they pay for themselves. Anyhow....thats a lot, but I calculated I am actually saving about 25 bucks a month in just light savings. Not a lot, but add it up....300 a year, 1500 bucks over 5 years. Definitely worth the investment. Not just this, but in the summer they save because they give off almost no heat.....the led's. Winter, probably could use the heat, but the propane is a much more efficient use anyhow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 01:13 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,275,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozintime View Post
So...in hours......about 367,000 hours? Take off maybe 7000 hrs.....so 360k? Thats awesome in my book.
Geesh, 367,000 hours is about 42 years! Don't think LED bulbs have been around that long. FYI, there are 8760 hours in a year.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:20 PM

3,174 posts, read 2,745,943 times
Default "Estimated" usage no more, Eversource is getting the hang of remote meter reading

I've noticed Eversource is getting better about actually reading the meter instead of doing "Estimated" readings. It's been nearly a year since my bill has shown an estimated value instead of the actual usage.

Even after they initially installed the "remote read" (AMR) meter, somehow still managed to fail to read the meter some months (even in the middle of summer!), and I'd get the occasional estimated bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozintime View Post
I replaced all our bulbs except outdoor security lights and indoor spot lights from top of beams(24 ft), which are difficult to get to. Then I started replacing those cfl's with led's about 5 years ago. I have had only 2 cfl bulbs go out, and need to be replaced. I havent noticed any reduction in my electric bill because as someone noted, most use is in stove, fridge, and tv's/electronics. Also eversourse has increased rates at a fairly rapid rate. So, even though rates have gone up, my bill hasnt.....so maybe that is a victory.
I'd say that's victory. I usually compare my KwH usage and "Degree Days", rather than solely looking at the $$$ portion of the bill.

Quote:
Not just this, but in the summer they save because they give off almost no heat.....the led's. Winter, probably could use the heat, but the propane is a much more efficient use anyhow.
All light bulbs are ~99% efficient at turning electricity into heat, but resistive electric heat is expensive despite being higher efficiency than propane. OTOH, in the summer, cutting back on in-home usage saves you twice, counting the extra load you avoid putting on the air conditioning.

I use granular whole house and per-circuit monitoring to track usage. After swapping out lightbulbs and using smart power strips and the like, I've reached the point of diminishing returns in trying to reduce "wasted" electric usage.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 06-10-2017 at 01:30 PM..

Old 06-11-2017, 10:09 PM

Bigbear,

You are correct! I hit 7 x twice....my bad. Thanks.....it was only 52,000 hrs.......more or less. That was one of my first led replacements too because it was relatively cheap and we left it on all the time, and it had burned out at the right time for me to buy them since I got a bunch of them relatively cheap for all my kitchen spotlights. Anyhow......52000 is pretty good still.....

I also recalculated my savings on actual light usage....it only comes out to about 12 bucks a month, but still.....I will take it.

Thanks

Old 06-11-2017, 10:11 PM

Funny......I just looked up average lifespan of these led's.......50,000 hrs. Dang close.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:52 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,275,234 times
Agree that 52,000 hours is not bad. Consider that, IIRC, incandescent are about 2000 and CFL about 10,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or