U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2017, 04:32 PM

3,173 posts, read 2,740,271 times

Advertisements

Eversource's website includes monthly power usage, you can download your history going back several years, or view a time period as a list or as a graph (need to select a 3-year or smaller window of time for viewing).

The list view also shows the monthly average temperature and whether the reading was actual or estimated. This helps in determining whether your power-saving measures are actually making much of a difference in your electric bill. For example, I've switched out most of my light bulbs for LED, but it really hasn't reduced my usage or my electric bill.

If you have an electric water heater on it's own meter, note that this is tracked separately from your other usage.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 05:14 PM
KCZ

1,548 posts, read 762,582 times
Do you find that your LED bulbs last long enough to make up for their increased price? The LED bulbs I've tried don't last any longer than regular incandescent ones.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:42 PM

I had lots of trouble with failing CFL bulbs, but so far the LED bulbs are holding up well. I bought most of them at Costco, so if they die early I can get a refund from Costco rather than dealing with the manufacturer's warranty process (or store credit at Home Depot).

If you're seeing a lot of failing LED bulbs, you might want to look into the root cause -- A quality LED should at least outlive the manufacturer's warranty, but they really don't like excessive heat, vibration, or poor power quality.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:56 PM

9,002 posts, read 16,118,243 times
The Monthly EverSource meter data is not overly useful. My old Electric Company outside Atlanta, had "Smart" Meters, and you could download Hour by Hour usage for every day of the months. That kind of data was useful. There are to many variables in a monthly bill to get any idea down to a the "Blub" level.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:52 PM

445 posts, read 290,935 times
KCZ, I only have two LED bulbs on my property, and both of them have lasted for four years so far. (The rest are all incandescent because I prefer them for many reasons.) If you do pay to switch to LED, don't expect a dramatic decrease in electric bill as lighting only makes up around 5% of your electric bill. The biggies by far are heat and AC, followed by water heat, refrigerator, appliances, etc.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:14 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,809,960 times
I've never had an LED light bulb go bad, and I've been using them for years. I don't have a single incandescent bulb in my house. My wife and son seem to leave every light on whenever they leave a room, so I think it pays off. Our electric bill is lower than average for my size house, according to the solar company. I like to think the LED lights play a part in that. With NH's ridiculous electric rates, every little bit helps. LED bulbs are cheap now.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:22 PM
KCZ

1,548 posts, read 762,582 times
I live by myself so I have control over the lights, but I agree with LeviDunn that HVAC and appliances largely determine electric usage and lights are just the proverbial drop in the bucket.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:41 PM

Lightbulb Whole-house energy monitoring by listening to radio transmissions

The local security meetup did a presentation on decoding the 900 Mhz AMR signal transmitted by the new PSNH (Eversource) meters. Ultimately I went with a current transformer (CT) design, mostly because I want to track specific branch circuits as well as the total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
The Monthly EverSource meter data is not overly useful. My old Electric Company outside Atlanta, had "Smart" Meters, and you could download Hour by Hour usage for every day of the months.
So many people object to "smart" meters uploading your usage with that kind of granularity that New Hampshire passed a state law restricting Smart Meters. This is one reason PSNH opted for a different technology.

While not uploading hourly data to big brother, The newer PSNH/Eversource NH meters do have a "Remote Read" (AMR) feature which broadcasts the current and the last several hours usage with 5-minute granularity. Anybody with a $15 receiver and a laptop can read this signal from within about 150' of your meter.

You can also install your own monitoring equipment, see this (dated) article for an explanation. There are basically three kinds of whole-house monitoring mechanisms available to residential users.
  • The least expensive are novice-installable products like WattVision & PowerCost Monitor which track total usage for the entire house, do not directly record usage for specific branch circuits. Most detect how fast the disk is spinning or a light is blinking, but some power companies object to the meter-clip-on.
  • "CT" devices clamp around the main feed into the breaker panel, like TED-5000, Current Cost's "EnviR" and Efergy's Home Energy Monitor. These are more difficult to install as the "CT" goes inside the breaker panel to read the total load. I started out tracking my total and one specific circuit with a TED 5002-C (around $320), which can log at 5-second resolution.
  • More advanced (read expensive) "CT" products can monitor individual branch circuits, such as the Ted Pro Home which offers up to 1 second resolution and 8+ branch circuits.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 04-23-2017 at 07:49 PM..

Old 04-25-2017, 07:01 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,271,066 times
I'm not saving anything detectible with LED bulbs, but I like their quick on and dimmability compared to others.

I figured out why I'm not seeing savings" most of my power use by far is from the stove, oven and dryer! Those things are real watt hogs. Consider, for instance, that one large stove burner on high draws as much power as 20 incandescent 100w bulbs! If you have LED, it probably uses more power than all the LED in your house and then some.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:25 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,538,721 times
We have never converted our town house from electric baseboard heat. We just stopped using the baseboard heat except in the bathroom. So in the winter we heat the place with a 1500 watt space heater directed at where we sit most evenings plus the incandescent bulbs. We also use an electric blanket on the coldest nights. The basement is not heated and gets chilly but we only are down there for laundry or some craft work. We are replacing the bulbs in the difficult to get to locations because the LED's should outlast us.

Over all cost is about the same as the conversion to propane so we have not bothered. Heating bills should go down as the Association recently rebuilt the buildings and added more insulation to the roofs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or