Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 12:29 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,665,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
As I wrote in a previous message (end of #9 in this thread), in 15 years of living with propane tanks in New Hampshire I've never had a problem with them even in our coldest weather. The tank at my previous house (which I still own but rent out) AND the tank at my current house are both 120-gallon tanks. No issues at all.

(Are underground tanks even allowed in NH? I had an underground oil tank at my last house but had it taken out within 2-3 years of living there.)
I have dual 120-gallon above-ground tanks specifically to ensure sufficient vapor pressure; prolonged very cold weather is primarily an issue for 100-gallon or smaller tanks and high flow rates.

New Hampshire strongly discourages underground oil tanks. Propane doesn't have the contamination issues of oil, it is very common for 500 and 1000 gallon tanks to be installed underground, in part because an underground tank is all but invisible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 05:39 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,982,813 times
Forgive me if I missed it somewhere, but OP, have you looked into a battery backup for your pellet stove? If you only need it for a few hours it will more than suffice. I used one back when I had a pellet stove, they use a deep cycle marine battery.

http://www.secamerica.com/products/b...-model-sf-709/

Old 05-12-2017, 02:33 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
I have dual 120-gallon above-ground tanks specifically to ensure sufficient vapor pressure; prolonged very cold weather is primarily an issue for 100-gallon or smaller tanks and high flow rates.

New Hampshire strongly discourages underground oil tanks. Propane doesn't have the contamination issues of oil, it is very common for 500 and 1000 gallon tanks to be installed underground, in part because an underground tank is all but invisible.
Thanks for the info, Nonesuch! I had just assumed that a propane leak would be as bad as an oil leak. (I still don't want a buried tank on my property for other reasons, but this is good info to have anyway.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Forgive me if I missed it somewhere, but OP, have you looked into a battery backup for your pellet stove? If you only need it for a few hours it will more than suffice. I used one back when I had a pellet stove, they use a deep cycle marine battery.

Pure Sine Wave Battery Backup for Pellet Stoves | Model SF 709
Not a bad suggestion at all! But when I had my pellet insert installed, I asked about battery back-up, and my dealer didn't recommend it (surprisingly). I can't remember why, just that they didn't think it was worth it.

In my situation, it would help in case of a power outage, which would be great, but would do nothing for the lack of heat in the back rooms. So I'm still considering options.

Old 05-14-2017, 11:24 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,977,590 times
Mr. Heater tank top heater.

Check building codes first.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:24 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Mr. Heater tank top heater.

Check building codes first.
Had no idea what you meant by "tank top heater" so I googled it ... looks like those heaters are for OUTDOOR use only so would not work at all for my situation. Not sure if you thought they could be safely used indoors? (Don't really need to check with my local code officer about this one, since the items themselves say they are for outdoor use only.)

Old 05-14-2017, 06:24 PM

421 posts, read 543,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
This makes no sense to me at all. As I've written in this thread (twice now ), I've had 120-gallon tanks (outside) in NH for 15 years now and have never had an issue with the propane not working even during our coldest spells. (I don't have a lot of propane appliances, but my water heater is run by propane and obviously I use that every day, so it's not as though I'm just not using propane-fueled items in really cold temps.) Outdoor propane tanks are VERY common where I live, since there's no natural gas available. Supton, your sources seem very "off" even though they should be reliable? Who knows. My own experience with the tanks is simply vastly different.
My propane stove and dryer never have problems either (100lb tank? dunno, came with the house, never tried to lift it); but I doubt either pull much. If I'm not mistaken, it's just how fast propane can boil off, changing from liquid propane to gas. Don't forget, releasing pressure means it drops in temperature. Dropping its temperature means its harder for it to boil off... a process that fights itself. If I'm understanding it correctly, it's a rate of usage problem. Low rates and the tank doesn't cool down much.

Neighbor has a buried propane tank. Well, used to. Looks like a surfacing submarine now. Kinda funny.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:04 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,977,590 times
Bite the bullet and get a good generator. Done.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:30 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,499,441 times
Supton, technically you are correct, but the real issue is the rate of heat transfer into the tank. Propane's latent heat of vaporization (how much heat it takes to vaporize a standard amount) is very low, about 1/100 that of water, and 1/40 of that for ethyl alcohol, to use two examples. This means it does not take a lot of heat transfer from the environment to keep the pressure up.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:17 AM

82 posts, read 68,133 times
I've had a bit of experience with the wall mounted, direct vent heaters like your looking at and hope my 2 cents worth can help. I'd highly recommend getting one that the blower is considered optional in, and do get the blower. That way you know it'll be a reliable secondary heat source when the power is out. But the blower will make a huge difference in heat distribution when the lights are on.

Here's an option that you might not have considered. I'm inferring from your post that the heater is planned for the TV room? Doe's the addition have a basement under it that's useable space? Reason I ask is that I have a similar situation and wound up putting a non-vented heater in basement. Keeps the floors warm and also makes the cellar useable space during winter months. If cellar door is in that part of house, heat could warm upstairs as well. Our house has a vent between 1st and 2nd floor to allow heat into back bedroom.

Tractor Supply has non-vented 10, 20 30k btu propane units for a couple hundred bucks. If only for occasional or seasonal use, you could even run it off 20lb tanks until you get the plumbing done. They are also wall mountable. That being said, the direct vent units do produce more heat without sucking the oxygen out of the room.

$1100 in pipes and fittings seems like a lot to me too. If you're handy at all, I bet you could have someone plumb the lines for you and do the direct vent heater install yourself. They come with mounting diagrams and such. A bracket or two that's mounted to wall, sawzall out the hole for vent and mount it up.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:02 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,499,441 times
kuffaar, hope you have good carbon monoxide detectors in your basement and upstairs.

Vented, OTOH, send the CO out the vent. They do suck air out of the room, along with oxygen. Oxygen is used for combustion. Nitrogen goes up the vent with water vapor, CO2 and CO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: