Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 06:15 AM

540 posts, read 588,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I just need to point out that CA and FL are not familiar:

Varying levels of terrain including mountains vs marsh and sea level
Climate varying from continental to Mediterranean to arid and humid to subtropical
Earthquake and Hurricane
Wildfire and Flood
Washington Palm and varying varieties including tropical coconut to royal palm etc
Surf and snorkel
Wetsuit (colder water) and no suit (warmer water)
Mexican to Asian and Latino to West Indian Caribbean to some Southern

I'm not suggesting one is better than the other, but they're not oranges to oranges.

I think the OP had a respectful opinion. Best wishes wherever you go.
You are correct on the many differences. I think for us the similarities are the way things look: shopping centers, buildings, houses. Spanish/Mediterranian style with stucco exterior and tile roof.
And although the palm trees are a different variety, they are still palms which also adds to the atmosphere when driving down the street. I did almost feel as though I was in CA just because of the look of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 11:34 AM

240 posts, read 267,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dross99_si View Post
Thank you. I certainly will. We moved to NH just in time to experience winter and we'll be moving to FL just in time to experience summer. Should be interesting.
I'll give it like 6 months and update with our findings. I'm sure there will be things we like and dislike. As everyone knows - no place is perfect. Can you tolerate the negatives long term is the real question..
I think you sound very realistic. You spent time in NH, found out it wasn't a good fit, and now you want to move to a new place. I have been living in Sarasota, Fl a little over 2 years. I came from PA. I'm not trying to find fault with the area. I simply grew tired of it.

Overall, I'm happy here. I have met some fine people here, especially my neighbors. Folks seem friendly I think because a majority of the people are from other places. Of course there are adjustments, it is a different way of life. There are negatives anyplace you live. However, this move has opened up a whole new, positive life for me.

You are young and it makes perfect sense to want to try a new area to live. I wish you the best and please update us on how you are doing.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSMUSIC View Post
I think you sound very realistic. You spent time in NH, found out it wasn't a good fit, and now you want to move to a new place. I have been living in Sarasota, Fl a little over 2 years. I came from PA. I'm not trying to find fault with the area. I simply grew tired of it.

Overall, I'm happy here. I have met some fine people here, especially my neighbors. Folks seem friendly I think because a majority of the people are from other places. Of course there are adjustments, it is a different way of life. There are negatives anyplace you live. However, this move has opened up a whole new, positive life for me.

You are young and it makes perfect sense to want to try a new area to live. I wish you the best and please update us on how you are doing.
Thank you. I definitely will update. I agree that moving to NH has opened up things for us as well. It opened our eyes to what we really like and dislike and we've grown from it in a positive way. Also way different people and different points of view teaches you things. It's all a learning experience and I've learned quite a bit.
Things happen for a reason and things have fallen into place in our life that simply wouldn't have if we had never moved from CA. And if we never moved to NH, we would have never even conisidered FL. It was because of my coworkers and patients vacationing there and constantly talking about how great it is so we decided to see what all the buzz was about. We wound up loving it that much to say let's move here!
Life is about experiencing all you can before you die. As they say you only live once and life is short. Some dream about doing things, but never act on it out of fear of the unknown or sacrifices and have regrets later.
The hardest move was the first. Moving to NH knowing nobody and not even having jobs was kinda scary. Working at a new place and feeling like a new grad was a humbling experience. Spent 8 years at the last hospital and knew everybody, all equipment, how to get around with my eyes closed. From that to knowing nobody and nothing was a challenge. We did alright though. Made some good friends in our short time here and confident at work. Living comfortably and doing well. It taught us how to adapt and what to expect when making such a drastic change. Like I said the hardest move is the first and we made it. Only gets easier from there. We just hope we find what we're looking for!

Old 05-27-2018, 08:12 AM

Update:

It's been almost a year since we moved. After experiencing one of the hottest summers, coldest winters and hurricane Irma I can say that FL is not a bad place to live overall. We actually like it very much. Definitely missed the fall in NH though...
Only real complaint is that jobs pay a little less. And we made the mistake of buying a home in a HOA community with some silly rules. Once we have more equity we plan to sell and buy a home in a non-HOA neighborhood. No biggie.
Fishing is amazing around here. We purchased a pair of PWCs and can ride them pretty much all year.
Love FL, miss NH a little, definitely don't miss CA.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:16 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,036 times
Quote:
Update:

It's been almost a year since we moved. After experiencing one of the hottest summers, coldest winters and hurricane Irma I can say that FL is not a bad place to live overall. We actually like it very much. Definitely missed the fall in NH though...
Only real complaint is that jobs pay a little less. And we made the mistake of buying a home in a HOA community with some silly rules. Once we have more equity we plan to sell and buy a home in a non-HOA neighborhood. No biggie.
Fishing is amazing around here. We purchased a pair of PWCs and can ride them pretty much all year.
Love FL, miss NH a little, definitely don't miss CA.
Well, if it makes you feel any better, this past Fall in NH was a bust, IMO. It was Summer hot for very long and we did not get vibrant colors we usually get. I found myself yearning for the crisp Fall temperatures, but they never seemed to come. Disclaimer: I am a person who hates Summer heat, so it may have affected me more than many others. A lot of people loved it.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:28 AM

That sucks Deb. The crisp fall air and beautiful foliage is something we were really missing once October rolled around. Hopefully this year will be better. We actually are planning to come up this fall to visit friends.

Old 05-27-2018, 12:39 PM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,658,309 times
I have to say that I enjoyed the fall. We never got any actual summer weather until after the 4th of July, and it was barely hot until Sept, when summer finally arrived. The long term forecast for this summer is highs in the 70's for most days. I put up with 6 freaking months of winter for this??? What happened to summer???

Old 05-27-2018, 06:27 PM

500 posts, read 635,563 times
Yeah I agree that last fall was the worst colors in the six years I've been in NH.

My favorite years in NH were 2012 ad 2013 because the summers were hot (got to 100-degrees for a week straight) and the fall colors and temperature were great too.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:40 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Update:

I thought you made more in FL.. that was in your first post? Did you switch jobs in FL to a lower paying job?

My friends in IT that moved to Orlando are not making 6 figures -- that's what they were used to up here. He wants to come back but his wife needs to be close to her elderly mom. They both hate the heat and humidity and the bugs.. and come back to NH as often as they can.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:44 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
It's the price you pay to live in paradise. Don't regret moving to NH as it really helped me figure out what I want and don't want. Now I'm ready to go.
For people that grew up in New England this is what feels like home to them. To me this is far from what I'm used to. It has it's pro and cons. Unfortunately for me the the cons have taken their toll.
I've lived in CA, NY, Australia and Toronto.. and when I first moved to NH I wasn't sure how I felt about it, but within my first year I started adjusting and now I really love living here. Snow here and there is the price one pays for living in paradise. I bought snow shoes and I get to be outside having fun. I join in in the Portsmouth snowball fights and listen to lots of live music in the seacoast. I have friends coming from Australia all the time and they love seeing the white mountains. I can't live in a flat state ever again, I need the landscape of NNE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire