Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2017, 07:48 AM

524 posts, read 251,879 times

Advertisements

You come across as pretentious like you have it all 'going on' but me thinks the opposite is true. You most likely are a common Wall St. lackey who values the almighty dollar above all else. A standard American pretender. Well good for you I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 08:12 AM

540 posts, read 588,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
I'm in northern Palm Beach County - Jupiter - and researched living in Stuart.
From what I understand, car insurance is significantly cheaper in Martin County.
(However Martin County, especially Stuart, has major issues with flooding.. so there are trade offs)

OP.. when you're settled and up for a little road trip - check out Square Grouper in Jupiter.
It's The Mother of all tiki bars.. they film music videos there. Beautiful view and great music.
Yes! That sounds amazing. Thanks for the suggestion

Old 05-18-2017, 08:13 AM

540 posts, read 588,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Objective Detective View Post
You come across as pretentious like you have it all 'going on' but me thinks the opposite is true. You most likely are a common Wall St. lackey who values the almighty dollar above all else. A standard American pretender. Well good for you I guess.
Who are we talking about here and what makes you say that?

Old 05-18-2017, 10:06 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
No way is Florida's electric rates considered cheap and the only way you pay only $70 a month is if you live in a small closet and use a hand fan to keep cool.

Annual Electricity Price Comparison by State
You all seem to think I pull stuff out of thin air on here and I'm just exaggerating on numbers. $77 is my highest bill for the entire past year. I live in a 1200 sqft condo with two masterbedrooms and two bathrooms, do wash endlessly with a kid and dogs and the dishwasher a constant drone in the background. There's no way I could live in a tiny place with a child who's an only grandchild. Do you know the amount of crap this kid gets from her grandparents? If my bill wasn't 9 years ago from NH I'd post that too of my $150 a mo. electric bill with a $400 a mo heating bill for a 1 bedroom "closet" as you called it.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:19 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Maybe a discussion of FL's towns and electric rates would be more appropriate in the FL forum.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:51 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
I'd actually be more interested in seeing your payments to the electric company and heating bills (was it oil? propane? or natural gas?)... We all know that NH has ridiculously high electric rates. I still can't get over your fascination with the NH forum though. I lived in the St. Louis area for about 5 years. We were absolutely miserable and couldn't wait to come home. I think I may have visited the Missouri forum once, MAYBE twice. Just no need. I no longer live there, and likely won't be going back, even to visit. It's in my rear view...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
You all seem to think I pull stuff out of thin air on here and I'm just exaggerating on numbers. $77 is my highest bill for the entire past year. I live in a 1200 sqft condo with two masterbedrooms and two bathrooms, do wash endlessly with a kid and dogs and the dishwasher a constant drone in the background. There's no way I could live in a tiny place with a child who's an only grandchild. Do you know the amount of crap this kid gets from her grandparents? If my bill wasn't 9 years ago from NH I'd post that too of my $150 a mo. electric bill with a $400 a mo heating bill for a 1 bedroom "closet" as you called it.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:07 PM

385 posts, read 345,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Maybe a discussion of FL's towns and electric rates would be more appropriate in the FL forum.
The discussion is a comparison of pros and cons of New Hampshire versus Florida, including costs of living such as electric.

@Valerie: Florida's heating or a/c is included in our electric bill. Edit to add: Oh, upon rereading, I think you meant you wanted to know Sweetbottom's NH heating costs, not her Florida heating costs.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:57 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
I'd actually be more interested in seeing your payments to the electric company and heating bills (was it oil? propane? or natural gas?)... We all know that NH has ridiculously high electric rates. I still can't get over your fascination with the NH forum though. I lived in the St. Louis area for about 5 years. We were absolutely miserable and couldn't wait to come home. I think I may have visited the Missouri forum once, MAYBE twice. Just no need. I no longer live there, and likely won't be going back, even to visit. It's in my rear view...
again if I had access to those records I would post them but they not longer have those avail. We had gas...

Old 05-18-2017, 02:32 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post

Those winter electric bills are just fine, but show me electric bills from the summer when the AC is blasting 24/7.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:07 PM

27 posts, read 19,790 times
Wow, this thread is interesting...some good info. Throwing in my $0.02.

We relocated from SWNH to SWFL last year. Honestly, for me, I love them both. Over the last year, as we've done a real-time cost of living comparison, I've found both locations to be pretty comparable for our situation. Bottom line...we seem to be saving the same amount of money we were when we were up there with the same salary. Some cost comparisons we've noticed...

- Here, we have an HOA fee (our choice...she fell in love with the house)
- MUCH lower electric bill (even with A/C and larger home. I wasnt expecting this)
- lower property taxes, but...
- a 6% Sales tax
- very low car registration fees (face it...its a tax). I think it was $35 for our fairly new cars.
- no oil or pellets to buy. We do have a pretty cool LED fireplace because we're New Englanders. We need flames. I think we used it 3 times in January when it was "cold"
- here we have a water/sewer bill. In NH we had private, but our septic was nearing the end of life and we had a softner and filters up the yinyang. Still, the monthly water bill here costs more than the filters did there
- we've found grocery costs to be about the same. Some things are less, some more. Lots of local farmers around to get produce, which is nice, but we had our sources up there too.
- home insurance is actually a little less which shocked me. We are not right on the water as I didnt want to live in a mandatory evacuation zone. No flood ins required. Our home here is new, so a lot of the hurricane and wind mitigation discounts applied
- car insurance was the same
- we do a LOT less driving here because everything is closer to us. We cut our mileage WAY down on both vehicles, and as long as we're garaging them when not in use, they will last longer then they ever would have in NH. Same with the tires. We were killing tires in NH.
- Home maintenance. Here its pretty simple. Keep the A/C clean. If any stucco cracks, fill it. Paint the sides of your house every 5 years. In NH it depends on the type of house you have.

Something else to consider for folks with college aged kids is cost of education. Florida's in-state resident tuition for state schools offers a GREAT discount. Im trying to think of other comparisons from a cost point of view. I can update if folks are interested.

For me personally, I like the year-round warmth. The summers here are like a hot, humid NH summer day, but last several months. Afternoon thunderstorms are usually a given. Last summer was not as hot and disgusting as I thought it would be. It's mid-May and we've noticed the humidity starting to build back in. We do love the beaches here...every aspect of them. I dont miss Hampton Beach, but the NH/ME seacoast as a whole is beautiful. Ive found people here to be generally friendlier and realized that last time we went to NH to visit, but everyplace has its problemed children. One day in October, the thunderstorms and clouds left, and everyday save a few were nice. Winters here are perfect with one exception - it gets crowded. Most of the folks who snowbird here are fine, just looking for relaxation, but you do get some of them who feel we exist to serve them. All in all...am I happy we moved? Sure. We had to get out of where we were, because life was stagnant for us. Do I miss aspects of NH? Yup. I especially miss the woods, hills, and the season of Fall. therefore, the Fall is when we go back to visit. Right now, at this point in my life, its all about my wife. If my wife told me tonight "I'd like to move back" I would move back. If she told me "I would like to stay here" I would stay here.

Last edited by NHMike; 05-18-2017 at 03:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire