U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 07:57 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,271,066 times

Advertisements

Block the door? Depends on what direction your door faces, what direction the wind is from, whether or not you have a roof over the door, most critically, how you handled the snow from the last storm. If you just shoveled the snow into big piles next to the door, a storm will be happy to level things out.

Deep snow does have some interesting issues, such as blocked ducts for the dryer, the condensing furnace, exhaust ducts on your roof and even on rare occasions the plumbing roof vents. So much depends on the design of your house and property, but it never hurts to put on the snowshoes and do a walk around the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 08:02 AM
KCZ

1,548 posts, read 762,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
does the snow really get high enough to block your door in Northern New England?? I live in Rhode Island and that never happens here.
It's not at all common for the door to be completely blocked, but <3' drifts against the base are frequent if you live in a windy area. I had a new garage built several years ago and had to ask the builders to remove the outward swinging door and replace it to swing inward, so it could at least be opened and you could crawl over a pile of snow in an emergency. Drifting snow can be impressive and it's not unusual to have to go out to re-plow and re-shovel places you just cleared 8-12 hours ago if you've had powdery snow and it's a windy day.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:36 AM

65 posts, read 62,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
does the snow really get high enough to block your door in Northern New England?? I live in Rhode Island and that never happens here.
Like others have said whether it blocks your door depends on a lot of factors. I will say that I have lived in Rhode Island and the amount of snow we get where I am (New London area) is drastically different. I just looked and the average annual snowfall for my town is 71 inches versus 29 inches for the town I lived in in Rhode Island.

Here are some pictures I took during/after a snowstorm we had in February. If I remember correctly, it was right after a warm stretch so there was less than an inch or so of accumulated snow on the ground before the the storm.

The door picture was only a few hours into an all day storm, obviously I don't allow snow to accumulate there. The mailbox picture was after a lot of shoveling to even reveal the mailbox.

Personally I love the snow. I would take a ton of snow any day over the dreary sleet and slushy winters I experienced in DC, but there is definitely a lot more snow (at least in my area of New Hampshire) than in most of Southern New England.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:38 AM

3,173 posts, read 2,740,271 times
Lightbulb Doors and snow drifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Deep snow does have some interesting issues, such as blocked ducts for the dryer, the condensing furnace, exhaust ducts on your roof and even on rare occasions the plumbing roof vents. So much depends on the design of your house and property, but it never hurts to put on the snowshoes and do a walk around the house.
Blocking exhaust vents is a real concern, especially with the increase in high-efficiency (e.g. condensing) heating appliances which vent near ground level instead of using a full-height chimney.

The good news is, the newest condensing gas appliances will shut themselves down instead of silently killing you with carbon monoxide.

Quote:
Block the door? Depends on what direction your door faces, what direction the wind is from, whether or not you have a roof over the door, most critically, how you handled the snow from the last storm. If you just shoveled the snow into big piles next to the door, a storm will be happy to level things out.
I can't recall ever seeing a house in New Hampshire with an exterior door that swings outward. In my experience, it is common for less used doors (e.g. kitchen) to accumulate a 3' drift after a major storm.

Good place to stash a bottle of Stoli. Alternately:

(Not mine, wrong brand of beer)

Old 06-04-2017, 12:50 PM

278 posts, read 520,811 times
Quote:
Used to have power go out regularly when I was in DC. We lost it both from thunderstorms and from snow/ice storms. NH does not have a corner on power loss.
In DC you can drive with the convertible top down the last week of February, with Spring flowers blooming. In VT/NH/ME, you still have another 45 days of ice/mud/and black ugly snow. BIG difference from the Mid-Atlantic.

We've had what, four days above 80? ...and it's June.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:58 PM

41,505 posts, read 49,538,721 times
OP - let's compare these places. San Diego has warm sunshine most of the year and fairly frequent surfing on liquid water. New Hampshire has frozen water that people surf on skies and boards several months of the year with a few weeks of summer when you do not need warm clothing. San Diego has a mixed ethic community with plenty of exotic food and beach volleyball. New Hampshire is as white as you can get in the US and has snowball fights.

If I wanted to move I would trade places but, as your rental prices indicate, San Diego is so popular that most of us cannot afford it. So I suggest you watch a volleyball game and imagine it being played by people dressed in snow suits. Then reconsider moving to New Hampshire. Seriously reconsider it.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:58 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,271,066 times
GregW, how patronizing. I lived in Santa Barbara for 6 years and was glad to trade that for Chicago. Among other things, the weather was really boring. Yes, boring.

If you really think NH is so bad, why don't you leave? I'm sure Florida would make room for you.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:01 PM

333 posts, read 193,764 times
GregW can take my spot.

I have to agree with bigbear99. Lovely weather or not, it gets boring when it's the same thing all year round.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:53 PM

519 posts, read 339,579 times
Quote:
GregW, how patronizing. I lived in Santa Barbara for 6 years and was glad to trade that for Chicago. Among other things, the weather was really boring. Yes, boring.

If you really think NH is so bad, why don't you leave? I'm sure Florida would make room for you.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:58 PM

519 posts, read 339,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb2017 View Post
GregW can take my spot.

I have to agree with bigbear99. Lovely weather or not, it gets boring when it's the same thing all year round.

Some may consider it boring, but it's convenient. You can do pretty much anything you want almost any day of the year. We took it for granted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire