U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 11:20 AM

78 posts, read 55,694 times

Advertisements

There are fewer kids, plus a very low unemployment rate. My 16-year-old has a job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 11:49 AM

2,317 posts, read 2,629,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Ah, the ol' "I worked my way through College" I've had to hear over and over.

In 1976 my father's state tuition was <$900 a semester, he bought a 4 year old Buick Gran Sport for $800 and insured it for $160, gas cost $.60/gallon, all the while pulling $7.50/hr ($10.75 Sundays) at Stop & Shop as a stock boy.

In 2003 my state tuition was $6k a semester, I bought a 13 year old Miata for $4k and insured it for $2,300 (with zero infractions), gas cost $3.20/gallon, all the while pulling $8/hr (12/hr Sundays) at Stop & Shop as a front end 'manager' and $12/hr at my CO-OP.

Let me guess - you also had bank CDs earning 10%+ too? Before you slag the kids too hard, do realize they're living a reality different from yours. Few are asking for posh dorm rooms and glistening gyms - they're just looking for an edge in this high competitive market.

Gran Sport. And 1972 would be the last year of the Skylark bodied GS, in 73 the Century nameplate took over

Old 06-05-2017, 12:11 PM

1,338 posts, read 947,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
Awful guess. I just graduated in 2011. I'm living this life with them. I'm talking about MY generation and the kids slightly younger than me.
Having seen your ads in NH, I know well you're not 22. Regardless, my point stands - kids, particularly those without significant financial support, are faced with high costs and low wages. The 'smart' and able ones pursue low wage jobs (i.e., internships/co-ops) which translate into some resume building. To deride kids choosing a focus on school or internships over a crap wage in a coastal town shows a great amount arrogance.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:23 PM

454 posts, read 294,791 times
Quote:
Having seen your ads in NH, I know well you're not 22. Regardless, my point stands - kids, particularly those without significant financial support, are faced with high costs and low wages. The 'smart' and able ones pursue low wage jobs (i.e., internships/co-ops) which translate into some resume building. To deride kids choosing a focus on school or internships over a crap wage in a coastal town shows a great amount arrogance.
Do you even math bro? LOL. Been six years since 2011. Rare for anyone to graduate college before 22. Anyways, I worked and have a bunch of student loans. No privilege here. Just telling you what I saw when I was in school. But I digress and am done arguing with you.

Everyone else engaging in this thread, I challenge you to spend fifteen minutes watching this video. Lot's of great insight here.

Simon Sinek on Millenials in the Workplace.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:33 PM

18,061 posts, read 17,191,107 times
Well, I only know a few college age kids. All girls. One worked her way through grad school in retail and her parents helped too. Another one had an internship, helping her professor write a book, but is now taking time off to work retail and see what the real world is like. She lives at home so no rent, no food purchases. I think she knows what she's doing and that she intends to return to college.

Their parents' generation would have been the ones who worked summer jobs at the beach.

I guess a lot of them have their heads on straight and know that they have to be competitive. Our (older) generation worked at whatever jobs we could get because any experience was "good" experience. It demonstrated that we could show up on time, hang in there, learn a new job, take directions, get along with co-workers---and those attributes are very important for employment. Employment shouldn't be all about one piece of paper and very limited experience.

I'm kind of disappointed to think that American kids don't get the chance to work in the "real world" that much anymore. Not that it was all fun and games but you got to meet people from all walks of life and it broadened your outlook. But, from these responses, it's obvious that the world has REALLY changed.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:36 PM

1,338 posts, read 947,230 times
Quote:
Do you even math bro? LOL. Been six years since 2011. Rare for anyone to graduate college before 22. Anyways, I worked and have a bunch of student loans. No privilege here. Just telling you what I saw when I was in school. But I digress and am done arguing with you.

Everyone else engaging in this thread, I challenge you to spend fifteen minutes watching this video. Lot's of great insight here.

Simon Sinek on Millenials in the Workplace.
I do love a Sinek talk. I originally injected myself into this thread because of smug little comments such as this:

"Also kids these days have access to the federal credit card (student loans). Why work at all as long as you are enrolled in college? Get living paid for too. A four-year summer camp."

Comments like this neither reflect reality or are fair to my generation. The bulk of the 'millenials' I know are either pursuing undergrad and/or grad degrees and value relevant internships/co-ops over income (i.e., valuing earning potential over short term profits). Those not taking this path are pursuing skilled/licensed trades (e.g., HVAC, electrical, etc.). They are not enjoying a 'four-year summer camp'; they are actively trying to avoid the menial low wage jobs which those lacking a degree often find themselves in.

Are there lazy, entitled, elitist, arrogant, deplorable 'millenials' inhabiting our campuses? Sure, but I'd venture to say every generation has their share. But to write off a generation as lazy because they choose to college debt versus working the fry-o-lator at the local clam shack? Come on - it's just not reality. They're hustling, just for different goals and a different jobs landscape.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I do love a Sinek talk. I originally injected myself into this thread because of smug little comments such as this:

"Also kids these days have access to the federal credit card (student loans). Why work at all as long as you are enrolled in college? Get living paid for too. A four-year summer camp."

Comments like this neither reflect reality or are fair to my generation. The bulk of the 'millenials' I know are either pursuing undergrad and/or grad degrees and value relevant internships/co-ops over income (i.e., valuing earning potential over short term profits). Those not taking this path are pursuing skilled/licensed trades (e.g., HVAC, electrical, etc.). They are not enjoying a 'four-year summer camp'; they are actively trying to avoid the menial low wage jobs which those lacking a degree often find themselves in.

Are there lazy, entitled, elitist, arrogant, deplorable 'millenials' inhabiting our campuses? Sure, but I'd venture to say every generation has their share. But to write off a generation as lazy because they choose to college debt versus working the fry-o-lator at the local clam shack? Come on - it's just not reality. They're hustling, just for different goals.

Mmm..how many of them do you work with? Train? Yeah we have always had layabouts just seems more prevalent these days

Old 06-05-2017, 03:02 PM

454 posts, read 294,791 times
Unfortunately, I will venture to say that "most"— instead of "many" — young people have been sold a bill of goods. Strictly looking at it from a financial and economical viewpoint, college is just not worth it. Like me, scores of people are getting useless degrees that will not provide them with a wage in that degree/field that will allow them to get ahead and prosper. Multiple degrees, internships, and such like MIGHT help you land a 50k- to 100k-a-year job, but when you are saddled with 50k-300k+ in student loans, you are worse off then the person who did not go to college and found a trade instead.

There is a bubble in higher education. The numbers do not add up. For most people it's simply not worth it to attend college and the sooner parents and society snap out of it and realize the reality of the situation, the sooner poor, impressionable youth will stop being pushed into a system that is going to enslave them to debt for the rest of their lives.

Last edited by LeviDunn; 06-05-2017 at 03:11 PM..

Old 06-05-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, I will venture to say that "most" instead of "many" young people have been sold a bill of goods. Strictly looking at it from a financial and economical viewpoint, college is just not worth it. Like me, scores of people are getting useless degrees that will not provide them with a wage in that degree/field that will allow them to get ahead and prosper. Multiple degrees, internships, and such like MIGHT help you land a 50k- to 100k-a-year job, but when you are saddled with 50k-300k+ in student loans, you are worse off then the person who did not go to college and found a trade instead.

There is a bubble in higher education. The numbers do not add up. For most people it's simply not worth it to attend college and the sooner parents and society snap out of it and realize the reality of the situation, the sooner poor, impressionable youth will stop being pushed into a system that is going to enslave them to debt for the rest of their lives.
Last time I said that I was figuratively skinned alive

Old 06-05-2017, 03:50 PM

32,160 posts, read 39,250,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Gran Sport. And 1972 would be the last year of the Skylark bodied GS, in 73 the Century nameplate took over
The price he paid sounds low, unless the car was beat to crap. The $7.50/hour was crew leader wages in the union factory I worked in 1977 (4.35/hour was beginning rate with either a nickel or dime shift differential, time and a half on Sundays).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or