U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 09:56 PM

143 posts, read 196,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Only if you don't want to have anything other than cafeteria food, whatever clothing is on sale at Walmart, and waving at your friends as they leave for an evening out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
Do you even math bro? LOL. Been six years since 2011. Rare for anyone to graduate college before 22. Anyways, I worked and have a bunch of student loans. No privilege here. Just telling you what I saw when I was in school. But I digress and am done arguing with you.

Everyone else engaging in this thread, I challenge you to spend fifteen minutes watching this video. Lot's of great insight here.

Simon Sinek on Millenials in the Workplace.
Simon nailed it. We have a 29 year old son who lives at home, again, and took the initiative and went to school. He did it on his own, which we were impressed with since we didnt push, or even suggest, he do it. Next thing we knew he was registered, had applied and was approved for loans, and went and got a job....actually the job was first. In any case, after the bumps of life kept knocking him around we feel like he woke up that he was going to have to take the initiative. We werent going to be able to supply him with a "happy" job. Simon nailed the fact about parenting, having it now, and technology.......these are all huge influences, but the fact that older generations are also "hugely" letting them down and not listening, or leading, are massive factors. I see my generation and the one before me as being extremely ignorant, arrogant, and outright deceptive in their intentions. The problems coming down the pike are not of their creating, but they will have to clean up and deal with the previous generations neglect. We cannot keep pushing our problems down the line, and this is exactly what I see happening.

In any case, getting a degree is not enough anymore. At least it seems to me. You had better pick the right field.....because jobs for history majors just arent there. Journalism? Art? But, the plaque with the paper inside will open doors and at least give opportunity. I never finished college, but busted my ass when I got tired of selling cars(which was the family biz). I just didnt like the fake-ness of it all. So I went into antiques and art, and I was like a duck in water. Now, I would not recommend it to anyone as it is a bygone era. People with extra cash is a thinning herd, and this applies to the new up and comers that are minimalists not just by choice, but by necessity. Im hitting my prime earning years and Ive watched my whole business field collapse(thank goodness I reinvested every cent I made and pinched pennies like there was no tomorrow, and now tomorrow is here and I am glad I was such a cheap-a**......now, this isnt about me, but about what is happening all around me. I watch as steel workers, manufacturing, even coal.....all fade away and are replaced with robots, sent overseas, or simply are replaced with the new technology or simply improved. So jobs here are becoming more "specialized". Technical.

In any case, the jobs that are available do not seem to be what the next generations "wants"......as I hear from those of my era that say but YEAH.....I sold cars for F***S sake! I hated it.....so take whats available and quit whining. Problem is there are plenty of jobs at walmart, but very few at a manufacturing plant that pay 25/hr with benefits and 401k that were available 40, even 30 years ago and you could work your way up the ladder or look down the road and have some security. This is a bygone era.

Things are going to have to change, and hopefully those running our country quit lining their pockets and start working for the people. Get back to incentivizing jobs that have a future.....I can think of one that is HUGE, but its so partisan and those in power will spend every last dollar making sure it doesnt get off the ground.

My advice to the younger generations is to accept reality for what it is. Everyone isnt going to be able to make an impact, unless you want to work for free at some think tank or donate all your time cleaning up the oceans. Ive heard the "I will be a game designer" until I am blue in the face. I say look at being an electrician, plumber, or welder even? This generation does seem to think things will fall in their laps....but only if you really get out there and pick a field that IS the future. We will need NURSES, Dr's, anything IT just about......mechanics? You could always be a lawyer too.

What we need are ethical politicians.....thats what I wish the next generation would really leap into. Want to change things? VOTE.....I think....as long as there are paper ballots your probably ok. LOL.....anyway.....I think I just rambled, but really. I know it isnt easy out there. Im watching as my field collapses as tastes have changed and I can personally speak to the middle class shrinking at a scary rate. It is still possible in this country to make a difference, but your probably going to have to eat some BS along the way. I just hope we as a country, wake up, and see reality for what it is.....it is what is happening right now. We need change. We need compromise. We need Millennials to stand up and be counted, and put down the phones and xbox's.

Oh yeah, our Son. Im proud of him. All things willing he will get that sheet of paper in a frame, even if it is just for 2 years....its a start. More than I got. Putting one foot in front of the other and seeing where it goes.....he has an idea, but he can now have more options on the path he takes to get there. Wherever he wants.....I believe he is capable. And he is a typical Millennial.....he still has hope even though I see a pile of s**t being left by our leaders. I have hope, because of him. 5 years ago.....I was in serious doubt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 03:32 AM

422 posts, read 175,798 times
Grown ups need to act like grown ups and stop blaming everyone else for their own failures.Stop blaming Mommy and daddy!

Old 06-08-2017, 11:27 AM

100 posts, read 58,059 times
I'm going to have to agree with Crazy Dave on this one. I spent 16 years working at one of those beach businesses (convenience store) and I can't even tell you how many kids we hired who never lasted more than a week or two. You couldn't keep them off the damn cell phones or laptops.

Worse yet, they expected to earn $15/hr for a job not even worth $8.50 (starting salary). And honestly, if we could have trained a money to card someone and not eat the bananas we had for sale, the monkey could have handled the whole afternoon shift.

They would come in to apply with no skills and no work experience and expect $15/hr. to do nothing but be there (when they actually showed up).

And for those advocating for higher wages, I can tell you that seasonal businesses that rely on good weather all summer to pay the bills year round can not afford to pay higher wages. You basically have June, July, August and part of September to make enough money to cover the rest of the year rent or mortgage, elect, heat, stock and salaries.

In Rye, where I lived, the town can't even fill the lifeguard positions and haven't been able to for the past 5 or 6 years or so. Good wages and literally on the beach from 9 am to 6 pm 5 days a week. If I could swim, I'd have jumped on that when I was a kid. Beats the heck out of slinging ice cream all day.

But the kids in town would rather play then work so employers bring in kids from overseas and every year a few just disappear after a few weeks never to return to their homeland. So it is what it is.

The scariest thing for me is (and anyone else closer to retirement than not) is that this generation is the future of this country. And by generation, I basically mean the ones currently in Jr. High or High School as well as those up to about 26-28 years old. Not all of them by any means, but more than is comfortable for me.

Last edited by gailjnh; 06-08-2017 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 06-08-2017, 01:21 PM

1,338 posts, read 947,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailjnh View Post
The scariest thing for me is (and anyone else closer to retirement than not) is that this generation is the future of this country. And by generation, I basically mean the ones currently in Jr. High or High School as well as those up to about 26-28 years old. Not all of them by any means, but more than is comfortable for me.
It's all a matter of perspective. I'm of the 'millenial generation' and, unless my elder relatives start making wiser financial decisions, my income and taxes will be paying for their retirement. An estimated 42% of 'baby boomers' have <$100K in retirement funds with no secondary pension.

Before you worry about my generation, worry a bit about your own.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:14 PM

422 posts, read 175,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
It's all a matter of perspective. I'm of the 'millenial generation' and, unless my elder relatives start making wiser financial decisions, my income and taxes will be paying for their retirement. An estimated 42% of 'baby boomers' have <$100K in retirement funds with no secondary pension.

Great answer from someone who knows nothing.You think you are the only ones to go through this .At What point do you take responsibility for your own life and stop blaming others for your shortcomings..maybe the baby boomers are in the position they are in becuase of the older generation that they were taking care of,think about that.See the BB generation is the first generation that is taking care of their parents which has always been expected and taking care of their "millennial children" who can't seem to stand on their own two feet .

This is about summer jobs and teenagers maybe stick with the thread.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:57 PM

1,338 posts, read 947,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sunday View Post
Great answer from someone who knows nothing.You think you are the only ones to go through this .At What point do you take responsibility for your own life and stop blaming others for your shortcomings..maybe the baby boomers are in the position they are in becuase of the older generation that they were taking care of,think about that.See the BB generation is the first generation that is taking care of their parents which has always been expected and taking care of their "millennial children" who can't seem to stand on their own two feet .

This is about summer jobs and teenagers maybe stick with the thread.
Wound a bit tight, huh? I'm a millenial standing on my own two feet just fine and, at the rate my older family members are declining both physically and financially, they better hope I have some capital and empathy to share down stream.

Here's why we're tired of hearing older generations critique us:

- a global and U.S. economy which has forced millenials to pursue an under-grad to earn a middle class pension-less wage. Yeah, the job markets of the '70's and '80's were hardly rosey, but they sure as hell were more forgiving to the middle class than now.
- high ed costs which are up 260% since 1980. There simply is no "working your way through school" these days ... just 'some debt' or 'suffocating amounts of debt'.
- housing costs which, since 1980, have increased 6.9% annually ... has your pay matched that rate?
- job markets which are fleeing low COL areas for high COL urban centers ... hard to save for a house when you're paying 1K/mo to rent a room in a metro area.
- rent seeking 'boomers' who enjoyed 30 year of Greenspan inflation, and then have the nerve to question why we're not leaving their basements (spoiler: few of us can afford the COL).
- Subsidizing the healthcare cost of a 76 million 'baby boomers'
- Watching a notable portion of our taxed income go toward unsustainable systems which we'll likely never access (SS, Medicare)

Why is it the older gens can agree they're getting bilked and burdened by the system, but show no empathy for millenials entering this same reality with zero asset growth and greater debts?

Old 06-08-2017, 05:51 PM

32,161 posts, read 39,250,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post

Umm, you do know that since the advent of the Social Security system that every generation has "paid for" the immediate older generations?

But I'm sure you knew that. Right?

Old 06-09-2017, 02:52 AM
Yac

5,875 posts, read 6,297,498 times
Sigh..I hate to sound like a broken record, but this is not the politics forum, or the great debates forum (where I feel this whole millennials vs other generations topic could be discussed), but a state forum. A topic about beach towns, not society and its flaws, or whatnot.
You really don't have to fight over this, do you ?
Yac.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:05 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,804,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
Unfortunately, I will venture to say that "most" instead of "many" young people have been sold a bill of goods. Strictly looking at it from a financial and economical viewpoint, college is just not worth it. Like me, scores of people are getting useless degrees that will not provide them with a wage in that degree/field that will allow them to get ahead and prosper. Multiple degrees, internships, and such like MIGHT help you land a 50k- to 100k-a-year job, but when you are saddled with 50k-300k+ in student loans, you are worse off then the person who did not go to college and found a trade instead.

There is a bubble in higher education. The numbers do not add up. For most people it's simply not worth it to attend college and the sooner parents and society snap out of it and realize the reality of the situation, the sooner poor, impressionable youth will stop being pushed into a system that is going to enslave them to debt for the rest of their lives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Last time I said that I was figuratively skinned alive
I made that argument too a while back and I was figuratively raked over the coals.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:57 AM
miu

16,486 posts, read 33,452,987 times
Just like on Cape Cod, seacoast real estate is more expensive in the summer months and gets rented to vacationers. So less families with teenagers/young people willing to work at the beach. As it, with the temporary foreign workers, they look for the cheapest rental or a host family and cram into those quarters.

Many decades ago, I had relatives who owned a house in the Hamptons that they rented out in the summer months for income. They would stay with their adult kids and other relatives during the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or