U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-05-2017, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,505 posts, read 49,538,721 times
Reputation: 24548

Advertisements

I try to be very attentive to what other DRIVERS are doing along with where their cars are going. I pay even more attention when I am on my big scooter. Some of the mistakes I have seen recently are a combination of inattention, clumsiness, arrogance and just plain stupidity.


Be Careful out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-05-2017, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
2,317 posts, read 2,624,479 times
Reputation: 3230
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
The problem of enforcement is once the kid is allowed to go beyond the parent(s) view. It's impossible for the parent to be in control of what the child does.

So if you site the child, you are really fining the parent, since its rare for a child to have any income to pay the fine.

Education "Community" service would be better impact on the "Child" then charging them the $44 + (I'm sure a bunch of court fees and other charges),

If the child is younger in the parents control, Fine/Fees are waved if you show you purchased a helmet (or got a "Free" one from one of the sources that do them.) within 10-20 days of the ticket. Would better towards the goal of protecting the Kids Heads.
fining the parent is actually supposed be one of the enforcement tools.. If they see that the police are taking it seriously and handing out fines perhaps they would also take it seriously and ensure the children are wearing the helmets.. but I am curious, who said this was about protecting childrens heads? No this is just a feel good legislation that frankly wasn't worth the effort to make into law, however since we did we might as well generate some money from it.

More bike helmets are being worn, but no decrease in head injuries | FOX 4 Kansas City WDAF-TV | News, Weather, Sports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2017, 02:31 PM
KCZ
 
1,548 posts, read 762,582 times
Reputation: 4337
That article is bogus. It doesn't even cite the "new study" it's apparently using as a source. Who knows what the study actually evaluated? And it's from 2014.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2017, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
2,317 posts, read 2,624,479 times
Reputation: 3230
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
That article is bogus. It doesn't even cite the "new study" it's apparently using as a source. Who knows what the study actually evaluated? And it's from 2014.
regardless..having a law that is not enforced is also as you eloquently put it..Bogus!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2017, 02:36 PM
 
Location: MMU->ABE->ATL->ASH
9,002 posts, read 16,118,243 times
Reputation: 9676
Well I assumed it was to protect there heads,

With the side benefit of selling helmets, and making fine money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2017, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
2,317 posts, read 2,624,479 times
Reputation: 3230
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Well I assumed it was to protect there heads,

With the side benefit of selling helmets, and making fine money.
apparently they missed the point on both counts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2017, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Ossipee, NH
333 posts, read 193,764 times
Reputation: 688
It's a wonder any of us survived childhood...riding bikes with no helmets, playing with woodworking sets and real easy bake ovens, making rubber creepy crawly things in those metal molds you plugged in that got HOT, playing dodgeball, piling as many of us as could fit into cars with bench seats and no seat belts to go for ice cream, trick or treating in the dark on a weeknight...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2017, 05:21 AM
 
Location: New England
211 posts, read 150,835 times
Reputation: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb2017 View Post
It's a wonder any of us survived childhood...riding bikes with no helmets, playing with woodworking sets and real easy bake ovens, making rubber creepy crawly things in those metal molds you plugged in that got HOT, playing dodgeball, piling as many of us as could fit into cars with bench seats and no seat belts to go for ice cream, trick or treating in the dark on a weeknight...
I agree with all this and we must be around the same age. I've haven't heard about making creepy crawlers in 45 years. We were bred with commonsense something that is lacking today it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2017, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Barrington, NH!
1,209 posts, read 1,809,960 times
Reputation: 1751
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenewenglander View Post
I agree with all this and we must be around the same age. I've haven't heard about making creepy crawlers in 45 years. We were bred with commonsense something that is lacking today it seems.
Plenty of infants and kids died in horrific car crashes (and probably minor ones too) back in the "good old days" before seat belts and car seats. I think more people survive these days because of safety technology and we fall prey to the "we didn't have any of that stuff back then and we came out fine" mentality. You may have come out fine but I'm betting proportionally more didn't back then. Nostalgia for a simpler time is all that is....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2017, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
2,317 posts, read 2,624,479 times
Reputation: 3230
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
Plenty of infants and kids died in horrific car crashes (and probably minor ones too) back in the "good old days" before seat belts and car seats. I think more people survive these days because of safety technology and we fall prey to the "we didn't have any of that stuff back then and we came out fine" mentality. You may have come out fine but I'm betting proportionally more didn't back then. Nostalgia for a simpler time is all that is....

I wouldn't argue that point at all ,even if we gutted all the nanny state laws it would probably still be true because face it, cars are built better today, they stop better, handle better, have far better tires. most roll down the road with some form of roll cage design ...

For example we can wax nostalgic all we want about the glory days of muscle cars but here is the reality.. the average economy car of today can beat all but the most elite marques of yore and do it all day long without breaking down and getting far better gas mileage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top