U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 08:20 AM

135 posts, read 92,053 times

Advertisements

The OP said "think Stars Hollow in NH". Meaning, think of the fictional town, but in New Hampshire. That's not a claim that it was set in NH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 01:33 PM

135 posts, read 92,053 times
It's the only way it makes sense to interpret it. Stars Hollow is, factually, not in NH. The OP seems to be a Gilmore Girls fan, and presumably would know this. (The show is not in the least subtle about its setting.) The "think" clearly indicates a hypothetical.

Consider the common saying "Christmas in July". Christmas is, obviously, not in July. And yet everyone somehow understands what is meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStubak View Post
In fact you're going to find that any small town you move to has it's fair share of a$$^013@ and sometimes they're on town boards and committees making your life miserable.
Amusingly, the fictional mayor of Stars Hollow was actually characterized as kind of an ******* who was constantly interfering with the other characters' plans.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:39 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON!"*"CHRISTE, ELEISON" KYRIE, ELEISON!"0)
2,519 posts, read 4,928,995 times
Smile Welcome to the forum:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelAnn87 View Post
My family and I will be relocating to New Hampshire as my husband's job will be transferring to Manchester. I'm thrilled - I fell in love with Maine many years ago and ever since have always dreamt of moving to New England. Although I have never been to NH, my husband and I are planning a trip in a few months to visit. As such, I'm trying to compile a list of towns to visit. I have done research and have come across Amherst, Hollis, Mt. Vernon, Exeter, Goffstown, Hancock, Milford and Peterborough, as well as several other towns. As you can imagine, my head is spinning. I'm hoping for insight from those of you that know more about the area to narrow down my list.

We're looking for a small or small town feel, friendly, close-knit community in a quintessential, historic New England town. We love fall and Christmas, so decorations, festivals and celebrations would be an added perk. For any Gilmore Girls fans, think Stars Hollow in NH. A better example yet would be Norman Rockwell.

We are looking to be within a 1 hour commute of Manchester. Although we would prefer a more affordable area, we understand it's relative. We're from upstate NY, and anything and everything is taxed here, which is why we can't wait to escape. For example, we're used to paying $6k in property taxes on our $150k home. We're hoping to spend no more than $300,000 on a home and if possible we would like a few acres of land. We would be okay living a few minutes outside of town, preferably no more than 5-10 minutes.

Our son will be starting school in a few years, so a good school system is extremely important to us. Access to an affordable, private school could also be an alternative.

In regards to activities, we are outdoor enthusiasts. We enjoy spending the day on the lake, boating, swimming and fishing. We also appreciate a good swimming hole. I must admit - although I find the coast beautiful, I am terrified of the ocean. Only fresh water swimming for this gal

Thank you all in advance for any input you can provide - I look forward to reading your responses!

Welcome to the forum

I know what you are trying to say, convey here.
I also love picturesque, quaint towns

If you get the chance look, search for old threads, to give you an idea of what is out there.
And of course visit a couple of times, if that is possible. You might see something you like on
paper, but when you visit, it will be a different story. And you might fall in love with a town
that you were not expecting to like at all. Congratulations on your husbands job transfer
Good luck in your search

Old 06-15-2017, 04:47 PM

94 posts, read 50,670 times
I suggest that you look in Henniker, and Hopkinton. They have that New England feel your talking about... stone walls, rustic colonials, cute capes etc. (An hour commute to Manchester everyday is going to get old real quick, keep that in mind.)

here is a cute house in Henniker under your budget:
35 Stonehenge Dr, Henniker, NH 03242 - realtor.com®

Here is one in Hopkinton with more land for just slightly over your budget:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...9_M42578-42193
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or