U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 11:40 AM

4 posts, read 2,500 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am considering a job at Colby-Sawyer College which is located in New London, NH. I currently live in FL so I do not know NH well at all. I lived in Northern IL so I have experience with cold winters and snow.

I am considering to live in Concord but I am not sure if it would be way too far and crazy of a drive during winter??
I was told that a better choice is Lebanon. Although Lebanon is closer, it has less choices of Montessori preschools and other amenities I would like for my kids. My oldest son will go to public school so, are the school districts better in Concord or Lebanon??

Are there any nice towns (good schools, safe) between New London and Concord that you would recommend?

Thank you everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 12:09 PM

371 posts, read 368,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariposaVerde View Post
Hello everyone,

I am considering a job at Colby-Sawyer College which is located in New London, NH. I currently live in FL so I do not know NH well at all. I lived in Northern IL so I have experience with cold winters and snow.

I am considering to live in Concord but I am not sure if it would be way too far and crazy of a drive during winter??
I was told that a better choice is Lebanon. Although Lebanon is closer, it has less choices of Montessori preschools and other amenities I would like for my kids. My oldest son will go to public school so, are the school districts better in Concord or Lebanon??

Are there any nice towns (good schools, safe) between New London and Concord that you would recommend?

Thank you everyone!
Lebanon would make for an easier commute, and is a very nice small town (#1 in "Best Small Towns in America" for many years). The school district is excellent. My son went to Plainfield Elementary (K-8) and then Lebanon High. I have nothing but good things to say about the schools and the town. You also have DHMC right there, which is a teaching hospital and excellent medical facility that serves three states.

As far as amenities, you really can only choose between Concord and Lebanon, Concord being much bigger. There are lots of good towns between Concord and Lebanon (Springfield and Warner both come to mind) with very good schools but less in the way of shopping. You would find yourself driving to Concord or West Lebanon for the big box stores.

New London is very nice. Any reason why you wouldn't want to live close to the college? I know nothing about their schools but you can research that easily enough.

I can't think of any of the towns between Concord and Lebanon that would be unsafe. NH is a great place to live and raise your kids. Good luck!

Old 06-17-2017, 12:34 PM

Thank you Soup Nazi for the reply. It helps a lot!

The main reason I am not considering to live in New London is because crossfit is a very big part of my life and there are not any crossfit gyms in New London :-)

Thank you again!

Old 06-17-2017, 01:24 PM

371 posts, read 368,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariposaVerde View Post
Thank you Soup Nazi for the reply. It helps a lot!

The main reason I am not considering to live in New London is because crossfit is a very big part of my life and there are not any crossfit gyms in New London :-)

Thank you again!
I think there is a Crossfit gym in Lebanon, at the River Valley Club.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:26 PM

Yes, you are right Soup Nazi! Thank you!

Old 06-17-2017, 08:21 PM

2,944 posts, read 4,921,027 times
One of my sons attends Colby-Sawyer. It's a beautiful area, I hope you like snow.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:27 AM

65 posts, read 62,558 times
Congratulations on the new job! I live right next to New London. I know you stated that you are concerned about the availability of CrossFit, but I would strongly recommend you at least consider living as close as possible to your work for at least your first winter in New Hampshire. The New London area of 89 is notorious for bad winter driving and accidents. If the weather is bad, you can probably decide to skip CrossFit for the day, but you will still need to get to work. You might assume that the campus would be closed in bad weather, but there is a lot of it. A Colby Sawyer student was killed last April in a snow related car crash on her way to classes. Obviously plenty of people make the trip, but I would recommend renting for the first year and living as close as possible while you adjust to New Hampshire winter driving (or re-adjust to winter driving in general).

Living in the New London area, we go to Concord pretty regularly. It is about a 40 minute drive. In good weather it is not a bad drive at all. The terrain of the New London stretch of 89 creates some bad wind tunnels and pretty treacherous winter conditions though, plus moose. When the driving conditions are bad we take back roads south to Warner and then get onto 89 in order to avoid that stretch. Taking back roads from Warner to New London as part of a regular commute would probably add on quite a bit of time though.

New London is a cute little town with good schools.

We almost never drive up to Lebanon so I don't know what that commute would be like in bad winter weather, though I would imagine it would have some similar issues.

Sorry to sound so foreboding about that particular stretch of 89. Most roads we have driven in bad winter weather feel much safer to drive. They do post highway signs for that stretch in bad weather telling people to slow down and changing the speed limit to 45, but the wind still feels like it is trying to blow you off the road and the road gets slick quickly (especially in the first few inches of powder before the plows get to it). I personally wouldn't choose it for a daily commute until you have at least experienced driving it in bad weather.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:44 AM

247crw Thank you for all the advice! It is very helpful to hear from locals what weather conditions and driving are in the area. That is what I am more concerned about. Renting the first year is my plan, because, just like you said, it is better in order to get familiar with the area and experience NH winter. I am very excited to move though and so are my kids so we hope to make the best of it! Thank you!

Old 06-18-2017, 11:14 PM

89 posts, read 68,589 times
I love New London, it's one of my favorite towns in New Hampshire. I try to visit it every year that I come up there. Eating a meal at MacKenna's then catching a show at the Barn Playhouse are always on my agenda. Someday I hope to have enough money and opportunity to rent an apartment there for a full year just for the experience of it. A guy can dream. (I don't know much about living there but I agree with the others, IMHO it would be preferable to rent in town than commute every day. But then I really hate long commutes.)

Good luck in your search.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:56 PM
Status: "Just one man's opinion, I could be wrong." (set 24 days ago)

1,617 posts, read 2,016,955 times
I'll echo what 247crw said. I spent 4 amazing years of College in New London and the weather along that corridor of 89 is downright treacherous in the winter. I would try to rent as close to New London as you can afford, at least through 1 winter, so you can gauge it for yourself.

New London schools are very good at all levels. Nearest Crossfit, as you've found, is the RVC in Lebanon but if it were me, I'd rather commute to the gym than work every day. Skipping work due to weather isn't something generally accepted up here, but the gym, no matter how much you love it (and good for you for making it a priority) is still not a must-go everyday.

Good luck at my alma mater!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or