U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2017, 06:38 PM

146 posts, read 169,232 times

Advertisements

We're evaluating if we want to move to Manchester-Nashua area. I'm wondering what are some really nice places, restaurants, cafes, homes, neighborhoods, attractions, stores, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 10:21 PM

451 posts, read 293,610 times
For Manchester I like: Coffee. Lunch.Dinner. Health food store. Drive the neighborhoods north of Bridge St. Walk some trails around Massabesic Lake. You can find parking here and here.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:03 AM

2,317 posts, read 2,627,174 times
Don't forget Salem/ Windham is also part of So NH

You are usually free to stroll the grounds here

Searles Castle at Windham New Hampshire

Looking for something a bit eclectic in Manchester?

Merci Train - New Hampshire Page

SEE Science Center : SEE Science Center

Old 06-25-2017, 07:06 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,276,572 times
You should drive over to Milford and have breakfast or lunch at the Riverhouse Cafe. Then drive north into Amherst, a lovely town with excellent schools and a good road to Manchester. Amherst is loaded with walking trails too. After Amherst, Bedford is just a few miles north. West of Amherst and Bedford are beautiful rural towns, but very rural with slow driving.

For attractions, visiting the mills in Manchester is a must, and the small mill museum tells the story well. Currier Art Museum is pretty small - you could cover it in an hour or two.

One thing I find fascinating all over S. NH is the remnants of mills. Seems many towns, including Nashua, Milford, Wilton (next door to Wilton), Manchester of course, and many others started out as mill towns. The mill dams are still there, and often the mills themselves have been converted to housing.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:01 AM

4,542 posts, read 11,752,396 times
One thing I love about NH (New England overall, I guess) is the variety that we have in stores, restaurants, etc. It's not all malls and national chains/franchises! There are so many family owned businesses-this is something I really missed when living away from the area...

Some of my favorite restaurants are in Manchester, so I'll start there (sorry no links, I'm posting from my phone).

The Foundry (I think Manchester's only certified farm to table) has become my new favorite as of last summer, and never disappoints. Eat out on the patio if you can. Depending on how long you're in town, you may want to try some of these as well: Cotton (on the river), Firefly Bistro, XO on Elm, Republic. For STEAK the Hanover Street Chophouse ($$) or my preference, Buckley's Steakhouse on the DW Highway in Merrimack (their bakery is a must-try if you're out scouting the area). For pizza, 900 Degrees. Breakfast: Julian's Corner Kitchen on Bridge Street. Coffee: I seldom stop for coffee in Manchester but my son manages a 5-store coffee roasting company in Boston, so Dunks, Cumbies and McD's coffee doesn't cut it for me anymore) BUT there are several roasters in NH, my favorites are Coffee Coffee in Salem (acoustic music on Sunday mornings, coffee tasting on Friday nights, and Open Mic a few times a week) and the Coffee Factory in Derry (comfy seats, wifi, nice atmosphere, not as active and loud as other local coffee ships tend to get)

You didn't ask, but I'll mention that NH is home to an ever-increasing number of microbreweries and wineries. In the Manchester area, LaBelle Winery in Amherst has a restaurant & patio seating. Zorvino in Sandown has tastings, Flag Hill in Lee... I can't think of them all right now, will come back with a link...

What age group are you looking for in terms of things to do? Amusement parks? Passive recreation? Bike and hike trails? Places to kayak? There's a million things to do and not enough hours to do them in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire