U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 09:32 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,279,080 times

Advertisements

I guess Cowbell has better vision than me, and can see the absence of tie-downs. Pretty amazing.

As for a trooper's statement, yea, law enforcement never stretches the truth. Driving laws can also be quite subjective. Just go read the code.

Horders and junk collectors are strange breeds, often in need of professional help. That's all the more reason that condemnation and ridicule are cruel, and inconsistent with New Hampshire principles of freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 10:01 AM

636 posts, read 957,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
I guess Cowbell has better vision than me, and can see the absence of tie-downs. Pretty amazing.

As for a trooper's statement, yea, law enforcement never stretches the truth. Driving laws can also be quite subjective. Just go read the code.

Horders and junk collectors are strange breeds, often in need of professional help. That's all the more reason that condemnation and ridicule are cruel, and inconsistent with New Hampshire principles of freedom.
It's pretty amazing that someone would have better vision than you do?

I'm not sure why you're so invested in believing this load was safe. The absence of proper tie-downs is quite apparent and I would be afraid to drive behind this vehicle.

None of the articles I read about the traffic stop named the man, or mentioned his town of residence, let alone gave his specific address. They use an anonymous driver to make a point about safety. I take issue with the NH1 article which, for no good reason, reports common municipal code violations and gives his name and address on a state-wide platform, likely to go viral, given what happened with the other articles. (Yes, I was actually driven to move by a new hoarder neighbor, but I still don't think this article is appropriate.)

Old 07-01-2017, 08:10 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,813,272 times
I would not drive behind this guy, especially on my motorcycle. I see things in truck beds and on top of cars not properly tied down all the time on the bike and imagine them flying off and hurtling towards me. Many people don't care about how their actions might impact others or are just ignorant. I've seen aluminum extension ladders fly off a truck at highway speeds.

If you think that load is OK, then you are part of the problem. Driving is a privilege, not a right. Probably need to take it a little more seriously.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:46 AM

109 posts, read 84,130 times
Stay away from low bridges! Good thing he wasn't in CT.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
If you think that load is OK, then you are part of the problem. Driving is a privilege, not a right. Probably need to take it a little more seriously.
I do not know if that load is OK or not. It's just that I don't jump to conclusions bases on one poor resolution picture, and I don't think the determination of a police officer tells us much. Laws are often vague. Interpretation is often subjective, and law enforcement is known to make conclusion not supported by facts. Is that true here? Don't know. It does seem, however, that we have a lot of folks here who jump to conclusions without having much information. That's pretty disappointing, especially in our current political environment of "alternate facts".

Old 07-03-2017, 08:22 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,813,272 times
Quote:
I do not know if that load is OK or not. It's just that I don't jump to conclusions bases on one poor resolution picture, and I don't think the determination of a police officer tells us much. Laws are often vague. Interpretation is often subjective, and law enforcement is known to make conclusion not supported by facts. Is that true here? Don't know. It does seem, however, that we have a lot of folks here who jump to conclusions without having much information. That's pretty disappointing, especially in our current political environment of "alternate facts".
Was not a grainy, lo-res pic that I looked at. Not really jumping to conclusions here. I'll bet though, it looked worse in person than in the picture. That anyone would consider that situation to be anything close to acceptable on a public road boggles me. One abrupt lane change and stuff would go flying everywhere. Rope and electrical cords? Please. I may be a little OCD about securing loads because my job required me to tie down bombs, missiles, explosives, and nuclear weapons, but that picture says everything it needs to about the situation. I don't know why anyone would doubt the determination of that police officer, other than a severe distrust of police and government that seems to be so popular these days. Live Free or Die only goes so far. When a driver's actions or negligence impact my safety, Live Free or Die means nothing to me. This is not about the "right" or "freedom" of a minivan owner to stack excessive junk on his vehicle. It's also not about police or government overreach. It's about safety on NH's roads. : smack::s mack::sm ack:

Old 07-09-2017, 04:01 AM

4,727 posts, read 4,844,578 times
Quote:
Yes.

He made it to Londonderry from Belmont without any (mentioned) problems.
So with the information provided looks like all was tied down pretty good.

Couldn't find any information as to where (what) he was going with all of that stuff.

According to the provided photo - the van has no towing hitch. Probably should have used a trailer to move all of this stuff. But even with a trailer doesn't look like he could fit all of that stuff on a single u/haul.

If the picture is not doctored then putting something over the license plate not a great idea.
Not having a valid inspection sticker is another issue.

Posting the guys address has issues.

According the what I have read (and posted picture) he got the vehicle back home all intact with stuff still on roof. How did that happen if true?

Appears to be an invasion of privacy for the state police to post the original picture. But others may have a differing opinion on that.

What is the policy that allows the state police to post online pictures of anyone pulled over for any infraction?

Old 07-09-2017, 07:51 AM

As I stated previously, my confidence in law enforcement integrity has fallen tremendously in the past few years. Dash cams have taught us that police do indeed, like many other people, tell less than the truth, have their own petty (or not so petty) biases and engage in selective enforcement of the law against individuals and groups they don't like. Even worse is their long standing tendency to lie during interrogations (amazing that there's no legal requirement for honesty!), hold press conferences discussing cases before the accused has even been tried, and so forth. Not to mention false convictions based on brutal interrogations.

Now we here see another way things go awry. People quickly jump to the wrong conclusion based in too little information.

Steveusaf, looks like being qualified to tie down nuclear weapons (which is not that big a deal anyway. Been there, done that and much more in my military service, like decoding nuclear launch messages) doesn't qualify you for photo-interpretation.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:30 AM

335 posts, read 194,811 times
Well, I know I would do anything possible to not have to drive behind or next to that vehicle no matter how well it appeared to be tied down, legal or not legal. Would those supporting it willingly drive behind or next to it?

As to why somebody posted that picture, it's amazing somebody could do that! Wouldn't you share a pic if you saw that in person? I can't imagine malice was intended.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:20 AM

4,727 posts, read 4,844,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb2017 View Post
As to why somebody posted that picture, it's amazing somebody could do that! Wouldn't you share a pic if you saw that in person? I can't imagine malice was intended.
The police posted it. Hello !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or