Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 11:09 AM

613 posts, read 944,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
There's a good health food store in Hampton, but it's small. You can get some frozen prepared food there and some ingredients for cooking but it's not a grocery store, more a place to buy vitamins and natural non allergenic products like hair color and make up.

There's some sort of natural foods grocery store to the north of that but it's so crazy expensive that I walk in and just walk out again.

The Trader Joes near Portsmouth is big and it's fun to go there. You can get just about everything.

And that seems to be just about it for southern NH.
I went into that "health food store" in Hampton once. Yeah, very little food. How often do people need to buy vitamins?

The "natural foods grocery store to the north of that" is Philbricks, in N. Hampton. I went in there once, & looked at their prepared foods section. Like a Whole Foods prepared foods section maybe, but the Philbricks version looked way less appetizing, or fresh. Like it all had been sitting there too long, & this was in the morning.

Yeah, the Trader Joes near Portsmouth is excellent, of course. I'd advise avoiding weekends, if possible. Just glad there is one anywhere close.....I always have my TJ's "list" for my next trip there.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 01:10 PM

761 posts, read 604,562 times
First of all I LOVE Indian food.. so that's a big score!

I am not strict about being a vegan, I am going through a process at the monent, but
will enjoy meat again as I re-introduce it (after leaky gut heals).

I do like to buy organic vegetables, and it sounds like that would work in the Peterborough area or somewhere near one of the Whole Foods stores / proximity around Nashua or Bedford/Manchester.

The information you've all shared was perfect and you're all very kind,
like diplomats of New Hampshire.

Great thanks!

Last edited by tidaldream; 07-25-2017 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: wanted to add in my thanks

Old 07-25-2017, 04:50 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
Not sure which area of New Hampshire you're looking most closely at, but if you're in the area, put Cafe Momo on your list! Small & locally owned Nepalese food, there may be 10-12 tables total, and while there's never a wait to get in, be prepared to wait for your food once ordered. Everything is freshly prepared, absolutely wonderful and delicious. Certainly not the cheapest fare, but very tasty and many vegetarian (if not vegan) dishes available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
First of all I LOVE Indian food.. so that's a big score!!

Old 07-31-2017, 01:10 AM

489 posts, read 964,029 times
When we lived in Sunapee from 2011-13, organic produce was harder to find than we were used to in the Lacey, WA area.
However, we found it.
Usually it meant a ride up to Lebanon, or down to Whole Foods in Nashua which was fine since we hit up Costco on the same trip.
We did notice Hannafords carried a small amount of organic produce in New London, but not as much in Claremont.
We invested into a couple CSA's in the New London area and went to the farmers markets in and around the area. Usually good healthy produce at reasonable prices from our experience.
Organic? No.
People seemed to look at us a little sideways when we asked, like we were city slickers (which I guess we were), so we quit asking.
Those farmers have their ways of cultivating the land and have been doing so long before I came along, and I am sure are still doing them now that I am long gone, so it wasn't fair for me to make a big deal about it.

-Mike

Old 10-21-2017, 04:20 AM

18 posts, read 7,727 times
There is a good amount of CSA, farmers' markets and many roadside jobs that sell products. If you want local, you have it. However, if you want local and organic, not much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire