Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 02:52 PM

22 posts, read 60,482 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were looking to relocate to Manchester NH from Vermont (we live in Montpelier). Rent is quite pricey here but when I looked in Manchester it was around $1300+ for 2 bedrooms..yikes! Just wondering how anyone can afford this especially without utilities. We pay $900 with heat included. Granted it is sort of "dumpy" and no frills (pools, gym,carport,...) but affordable. Just wondering, am I looking in the wrong places online or is this truly what it is? I make $22 as administrative assistant here. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 06:11 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,896,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbeanie View Post
My husband and I were looking to relocate to Manchester NH from Vermont (we live in Montpelier). Rent is quite pricey here but when I looked in Manchester it was around $1300+ for 2 bedrooms..yikes! Just wondering how anyone can afford this especially without utilities. We pay $900 with heat included. Granted it is sort of "dumpy" and no frills (pools, gym,carport,...) but affordable. Just wondering, am I looking in the wrong places online or is this truly what it is? I make $22 as administrative assistant here. Thank you
As you are finding out (painfully) COL varies quite a bit from place to place even within the same general region in the US.

A couple of things to consider: It's less convenient but take a look at properties which are outside of Manchester as often areas that are further out can be less expensive. A second thing to consider is when looking at properties--find out which (if any) utilities might be included in the cost of the rent. If you can, try also to find a shorter term lease if you can. This allows you to "shop around" for a better deal and you are not locked into a year long lease. Also look up and call real estate agents in the area who handle rentals and let them know what your budget is and ask them for suggestions.

I have moved around a LOT for my job and I've typically found places on Craigslist or Apartmentfinder. If you know anybody in the area, ask them as well--never underestimate the ability of locals to be able to point you in the right direction.

I am lucky where I am. I pay $850/mo for a 3 bed/3bath townhouse 2520 square feet with 4 levels and garage. I couldn't imagine paying $1300/mo for 2 bedrooms If I'm paying $1300/mo here then I had better have my own home and it better be a flippin' mansion...lol

Old 07-18-2017, 05:45 PM

4,566 posts, read 10,655,631 times
So $22 hour x 40 hours week x 4 weeks is $3520 month

Rent is $1300 so that leaves you with $2200 month to live on. Very, very reasonable. You simply need a budget.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:00 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,665,713 times
I doubt s/he is going to get $22/hr as an admin asst here, and you forgot to take out those things called taxes.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:36 PM

12,420 posts, read 9,519,802 times
I'd second the suggestion to look outside Manchester. Prices will likely be lower, and the neighborhood may also be better than the cheapest neighborhood in Manchester. Just don't look to the south - it will generally get more expensive as you approach the MA border.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:25 AM

3,688 posts, read 7,428,446 times
I was interpreting her comment as $22,000 per year. $22 per hour would be over $45,000 per year; plenty to afford rent in Manchester.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:06 AM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,665,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
I was interpreting her comment as $22,000 per year. $22 per hour would be over $45,000 per year; plenty to afford rent in Manchester.
Maybe you're right about that being the annual amount. That's why I said $22/hr was probably unrealistic here.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:52 AM

22 posts, read 60,482 times
Thanks everyone for your help. Realistically for the field that I am in, It will probably be more like $15/hr and I am also married so this wouldn't include my husbands income as well. After looking around, I did find some rather reasonable apartments in Manchester for around $1100 (2 bedroom). I love the idea of being somewhat close to the Massachusetts border but still having the charm and beauty of NH...best of both worlds Vermont is a beautiful state but not really a lot to do...I feel retired at 40! How are the landlords? Are there any shady areas in Manchester that I should stay away from? Thank youu!

Old 07-20-2017, 09:13 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Wink Avoid the tree streets, they're very shady (pun intended)

Several of my friends are landlords in Manchester. They're very thorough in checking credit and references. Compared to smaller towns, Manchester is relatively strict about code enforcement, housing law, and making landlords maintain their properties. Not saying it's perfect, just that smaller towns in the area can be more prone to siding with the landlord, as the owner is the one paying the town (property tax).
Quote:
I love the idea of being somewhat close to the Massachusetts border but still having the charm and beauty of NH...best of both worlds
Difficulty is that many other people feel the same way, and the ones who need to be close to the border so they can commute down for work drive up the rents near the border/expressways.
Quote:
Are there any shady areas in Manchester that I should stay away from?
Check the dozens of earlier threads on Manchester, crime, and the "tree streets" for a general idea of what to watch out for.

Just driving through you can get a good feel for the problem areas, and of course City-Data and other sites provide crime report summaries, maps, etc.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:23 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Man, Montpelier to Manchester, I just, well. Huh. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: