Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 12:40 PM

41 posts, read 50,125 times

Advertisements

Hey guys I'm looking for as much info on these Towns as i can . Littleton Bethiehem Whitefleld and Bretton woods or if you know other nice towns i am open to them all but i would like to stay north. Thank you all.

Are they family friendly. history of property tax increases OR decreases. is the towns financially stable. How is the police are they laid back are power hungry tyrants.
I spent some time in east Texas , the police there would rob you blind if they had the opportunity.
and how is the health care
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 08:39 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Property taxes never go down in NH.

Hospitals in northern NH range from critical access hospitals to slightly larger facilities with primary care and a smattering of subspecialty care. For serious illnesses or major surgery, you'll need to go to DHMC in Lebanon, UVM in Burlington, or Maine Med in Portland.

I can't speak to those specific towns, but for most of northern NH, the police are reasonable people and not "power hungry tyrants."

More to the point, what types of employment opportunities are you looking for?

Old 08-27-2017, 02:31 PM

I have a woodworking business i will be bringing so employment is not a problem. Thanks for the replys

Old 08-27-2017, 04:02 PM

221 posts, read 484,021 times
The police officers are pretty nice in every town I got stopped (I had tint through my ex so it was a cop magnet; you cannot have anything darker than 35% for the rear unless it's darker by factory tint. No front sides or windshield unless you have special exemption). They don't hassle you for stupid things nor they like to hand out speeding tickets for going 3mph over the limit or anything ridiculous either (that's if you're not a habitual speeder or just plain acting like a dick lol). The court hates stupid/minor speeding tickets. It's nowhere near like Texas (political but some places just generate money this way) and WA state that thrive on speed traps with all sorts of equipment. I belong on a counter-measure forum and TX is one of the worst (aside from Virginia) when it comes to speed traps. Smaller towns I've found are I would say more prone to having speed traps as it's pretty safe in most NH towns. Again you don't have to worry much. Because NH really prides itself in clean environment (as we have one of the largest number of conservation lands), you can get pulled over more for car related issues and may have hard time passing inspection every year (for as minor as rust on a fender as an example).

Property tax varies depending on where you live. Small or away from large cities it doesn't seem to matter. At least there are no income tax or other taxes imposed on buying non-food items.

I agree about the mountains; unless you're living up north (which looks like you're looking at) the scenery is lacking towards the south (I've lived in WA State and been to Coeur d'Alene. I miss the snow capped mountains in winter for sure. Although the beaches cannot be beat with gorgeous that are clean (mostly NH & Maine, stay away from MA beaches).

Places like Bretton Woods like you mentioned and those areas also get VERY dark at night which I find as a photographer one of the best places to take star photos. Franconia Notch was the last place I did astrophotography. I'm sure in the ID mountains it also got very dark? Bretton Woods was one of the areas I saw a moose last time (for the first time). Foliage of course is bar none up north Lots of gorgeous rivers, wildlife and people of course are very friendly everywhere you go (I don't say that lightly as I'm not from the US and never found NH to be hostile or prejudice).

Healthcare is decent but like anywhere else it depends on where you live. It's not terrible that's for sure. But I guess it may be a topic others that are more knowledgeable can chime in...

Old 08-27-2017, 06:43 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buel08 View Post
Hey guys I'm looking for as much info on these Towns as i can . Littleton Bethiehem Whitefleld and Bretton woods or if you know other nice towns i am open to them all but i would like to stay north. ...
Are they family friendly. history of property tax increases OR decreases. is the towns financially stable. How is the police are they laid back are power hungry tyrants.
Many towns have their tax assessment and other information available online. If you dig into the town meeting documents, you can get an idea of the financial stability of any given town.

New Hampshire has state preemption on a lot of issues, so the police and town government are generally limited in their powers and ability to be tyrants. Zoning in particular varies quite a bit from town to town and also within a town -- my town pretty much only enforces zoning in the town center and along the roadways popular with tourists, the rest of the town takes complaints from neighbors to get any zoning enforcement to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Property taxes never go down in NH.
That's not necessarily true. Even taking into account "equalization", the property tax rate (and my tax bill) has gone down at times (see attached). Overall the trend is upwards, but not monotonically so.
Attached Thumbnails
relocation to north NH from ID-property-tax-equalization.png  

Last edited by Nonesuch; 08-27-2017 at 06:51 PM..

Old 08-28-2017, 04:33 AM

346 posts, read 358,406 times
You should add Lancaster to your list, as it is family friendly and appears to be in a resurgence downtown.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:56 AM

5,300 posts, read 6,177,484 times
If you have a business, I'd research NH's "business profits tax" and "business enterprise tax." It's true that NH does not tax earned income, but the 2 nuisance taxes combined will probably be more than you are paying in Idaho taxes.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:08 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenewenglander View Post
You should add Lancaster to your list, as it is family friendly and appears to be in a resurgence downtown.
Lancaster is one of towns in Coos County that is doing fairly well and holding its own compared to many others. It is also the county seat, has a small hospital, and holds the annual fair as well. It isn't too far from Littleton, St. Johnsbury, and I-93 as well.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:56 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,838 times
There is very little serious crime in northern NH so local cops have nothing to do but harass motorists.....if you're out at night they're apt to stop you because you were "weaving" just to get a look at you and maybe pick up a DWI
Always check your lights,registration stickers and stay withing 5 or 6 miles over the speed limit.
We're always joking when we see a couple of cruisers fly by with the lights on.......somebody called because their cat was in a tree.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:46 AM

Thank you all and i will look at Lancaster . What about vehicle inspections are they as bad as i heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire