Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 07:05 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times

Advertisements

You really do need to be prepared for anything here. This past Sunday's windstorms caused widespread power outages, as of Wednesday 10% of residents were without power. I know people in Amherst, Milford, Derry who still don't have utility power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cay818 View Post
Thank your for the information about town services. That is something I will need to research/consider when relocating. Right now where I live the garbage pick up for ex is included in our taxes other areas pay for that service separately or have to bring their garbage to the dump themselves.
Here, the options are to haul your own trash, or pay $9/week for a service. NH encourages self-help.

Quote:
Re the police. Our police station is not very large but you can call 24/7. You mentioned the police closing at 5. Are emergency services and emergency medical services available at all hours if needed in most towns?
Yes -- 911 still works, however it is common for overnight dispatch for several towns to be consolidated at one location.

Response time varies greatly, in the North Country (Grafton and Coos Counties) it can be upwards of an hour. As I said, NH encourages self-help.
Quote:
My concern is that it will be difficult to find a job with an out of state address and phone number. I have never looked for a job in a state outside the one I was living in. Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to go about searching a job in a new state while I still live in NJ? Or do you think I will need to actually physically move first before finding employment?
You can get a free Google Voice number with 978 (Massachusetts) area code and a prefix indicating a town near the NH border, that might at least help in getting people to call you for an interview.

It can be tough to seek work in a distant state. Employers make offers with the expectation you will be available to start in 2 weeks, one reason to pass over remote applicants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 08:35 PM

4 posts, read 4,566 times
How are the hospitals and police ambulance and other services in NH? Where I live the fire department and ambulance corps are volunteer but the first response time in the area is pretty good.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:49 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Post Only 20% of fire departments in NH are staffed by full-time paid firefighters.

Quote:
How are the hospitals and police ambulance and other services in NH? Where I live the fire department and ambulance corps are volunteer but the first response time in the area is pretty good.
About 80% of fire departments in NH operate as volunteer or paid on-call departments. Towns generally have at least some paid fire staff, and commonly have mutual aid arrangements among neighboring towns. Police staffing and response time varies greatly from town-to-town; as mentioned, the North Country is particularly sparse; LE response time can be upwards of an hour in parts of Grafton and Coos Counties.

Quote:
I work in a physical therapy office. I wanted to research neighborhoods so I have an idea what job opportunities are available.
There are health care jobs to be had, particularly near Nashua/Manchester. Overall, New Hampshire has less hospital capacity and fewer health care jobs, per capita, than other states in the region.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
A couple of weeks ago my wife and I were "T-boned" at the corner of NH Rt 9 and NH Rt 123 in Sutton. Fortunately no one was seriously injured although I suffered a concussion and the other driver was shook up enough to be taken to the Hospital. One of the significant things that happened was there was no cell service so we had to call 911 from a nearby house. The elderly couple living there graciously let us use their land line. Then we waited for about 20+ minutes for the local Sutton EMT's and the NH State Police to arrive on the scene. Thankfully no one was bleeding out or this accident could have turned into a tragedy.

OP - Be aware that some of the rural towns do not have full time fire and rescue services. These towns are not able to provide rapid response (under 10 min.) to emergency calls. They are also likely to be a substantial drive to the nearest emergency room. This may be a consideration when looking for a place to live.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:53 AM

133 posts, read 559,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
A couple of weeks ago my wife and I were "T-boned" at the corner of NH Rt 9 and NH Rt 123 in Sutton. Fortunately no one was seriously injured although I suffered a concussion and the other driver was shook up enough to be taken to the Hospital. One of the significant things that happened was there was no cell service so we had to call 911 from a nearby house. The elderly couple living there graciously let us use their land line. Then we waited for about 20+ minutes for the local Sutton EMT's and the NH State Police to arrive on the scene. Thankfully no one was bleeding out or this accident could have turned into a tragedy.

OP - Be aware that some of the rural towns do not have full time fire and rescue services. These towns are not able to provide rapid response (under 10 min.) to emergency calls. They are also likely to be a substantial drive to the nearest emergency room. This may be a consideration when looking for a place to live.

As far as I know neither 9 nor 123 go through Sutton. I'm guessing you where in Stoddard? If so the nearest Hospital is in Keen (that I know of) and that's a 20 min drive from that intersection.

I'm curious as to which direction you where travelling when you where hit and which way the person that his you was travelling. I pass through that intersection all the time and for the most part its pretty quite but there have been increasingly more and more accidents there.

It's a hard turn on to 123 from rt 9 and When cutting on to 9 east from 123 I've had people travelling on 9 come up on me quick from out of now where....

Glad you and yours are okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire