Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 01:13 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
My initial reaction was that Sweetbottoms was exaggerating the winter experience (and clearly didn't like NH for other reasons, too.) But she's right, it's all an individual thing, and someone with no experience with severe winters might not adjust. OP did give me pause when she commented that she has experience in rural Appalachia. Experience with snow is not the same as experience with, at times, extreme cold, and longer overall winter conditions.

It sounds like Sweetbottoms's experience was in 2007. (And, weren't you in Keene? That far west your earliest sunset will be at 4:14. Hey, that's something!) That winter ('07-'08) was either the snowiest or second-snowiest winter on record in NH (recorded in Concord.) Concord got 127" or 128" of snow, roughly double the average. It started snowing heavily in early December and quickly looked like it often does in February. I don't remember it being exceptionally cold that year, but I know it was in some other parts of the country. I just remember the extreme amounts of snow. And Concord is not even typically the snowiest part of the state. Even for a state which routinely sees quite a bit of snow, it was notable. They hype storms most winters, but most of our recent winters we remember as "really bad" have actually, for much of the state, gotten little snow til January, or even the end of January. After that storms come fast and furious, so it feels like things are terrible. 2007, it was non-stop for a longer period of time, and the overall amounts were really high.

It varies so much though, from location to location, and year to year. Just in recent years (experienced by me in Central NH) - '13-'14, late start to snow, but storm after storm after that, and cold. Still, only about 1-1.5 months of the frequent storms. '14-'15 winter, bitterly cold at times (as in, below -20 actual temp in Concord) and again, late start to any significant snow (like Jan. 25) but then storm after storm, again, for about 1.5 months, if that. '15-'16, freakishly warm and snow-free. I think we ended up with roughly half the average snowfall, and much of the winter the ground was bare. Last winter (now in SW NH, but I think about the same in Central NH) - a mixed bag, more what I'd call "typical" if there is such a thing. It was hyped as terrible, but it was kind of a normal winter. Warm temps, cold temps, big storms, some in a row, some with breaks between, etc..

Summers vary too - someone noted our very hot humid summer this year, but that is how I would describe last year. This year at my house in SW NH, I would say on average is was exceptionally cold and wet. We had weeks in a row with temps that didn't get out of the 60s. Days above 90 in Concord/Manchester/Nashua didn't get beyond low 80s, or even out of the 70s at my house. (I thought it was very comfortable!)
Correct the sunset time I looked up was Littleton where the OP had mentioned. It was 4 something. Being the that's the actual set time its fair to say it begins to get dark maybe 20 mins before actual set making it a little past 3:30ish.. We had extreme amounts of snow that year. I do remember the bitter cold that year too with the windchill. The temp may have been 25 but the windchill was -14 (or whatever it was) and it was collllddddddd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
I believe that was 2012 and it was like Oct. 30. I think we got 23" at our house. All I can remember of that winter was that it did, fortunately, melt. At my house, anyway, it wasn't the start to an endless winter (or, at least there was a gap between that storm and the first "meteorological winter" storm.) I don't remember what happened after that.

Good point. And even if Sweetbottoms was quite wrong about the sunset time (enough to make a difference) the length of time we go with the sun never setting after 5 pm is difficult. One year when I was really paying attention, I realized that starting when we change the clocks in early November, we never have a sunset after 5:00pm until February. (I'm basing exact dates on Concord, but it's roughly the same everywhere.) We're changing the clocks Nov. 5, and in Concord the sun won't again set after 5:00 pm until Feb. 3! And much of that time the sunset is well before 5:00. Contrast that to Asheville (which I picked since it is western NC) which never sees a sunset before 5:16 pm all year.

Edit: Actually that Oct. storm might have been 2011. 2012 might have been the hurricane remnants which were pretty significant.

I was 30 mins off for actual set. We all know it starts getting dark before the sun completely sets. Sunset in Dec for Littleton last year was 4:08. I'd give 20 mins of start to finish twilight just before and you're talking maybe 3:45 or so street lamps may be coming on.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Don't you have unusual medical issues? From your past posts, I thought that you said that you had severe health issues. So YOUR reactions to the cold, will always be more severe than a person of average health.
Correct which is why i said it was an individual thing. I have blood pressure issues and a hole in my heart. Also take into account though weather wise myself and OP have lived in the same places. I'd argue its much easier to acclimated to the warmth and beaches and faster to do that than the snow and cold. I can tell you for a fact when it hits60- 65 in south Florida you WILL see people with scarves and gloves on. So take into account a 40+ degrees more drop in the winter from that on some days and its gonna be a rough go of it. I'm living in the Carolinas now and 30 here does not have the same feel to it that it did in the mountains of NH. While its chilly I don't need a winter coat.

Old 10-27-2017, 02:30 PM

830 posts, read 1,538,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I was 30 mins off for actual set. We all know it starts getting dark before the sun completely sets. Sunset in Dec for Littleton last year was 4:08. I'd give 20 mins of start to finish twilight just before and you're talking maybe 3:45 or so street lamps may be coming on.
It actually doesn't get fully dark until after the official sunset time, at the end of civil twilight, roughly half an hour after sunset. (Hence, for example, laws allowing hunting up to half an hour after sunset.) Sunset is not the point of ultimate darkness. But, I think we can all agree it is dim.

Old 10-27-2017, 02:51 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,811 times
Quote:
I consider it light still until 20-30 minutes AFTER sunset, not before. If I don't need a flashlight to walk around, it's still light. On a cloudy day, there's not much twilight after sunset but sunny days there's 20-30 minutes.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:39 PM
KCZ

4,673 posts, read 3,665,713 times
OTOH, you can pretty much guarantee you can't go for a nice after-dinner walk without a flashlight from early October to whenever DST resumes in the spring (or later).

Old 10-27-2017, 08:13 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Correct which is why i said it was an individual thing. I have blood pressure issues and a hole in my heart. Also take into account though weather wise myself and OP have lived in the same places. I'd argue its much easier to acclimated to the warmth and beaches and faster to do that than the snow and cold. I can tell you for a fact when it hits60- 65 in south Florida you WILL see people with scarves and gloves on. So take into account a 40+ degrees more drop in the winter from that on some days and its gonna be a rough go of it. I'm living in the Carolinas now and 30 here does not have the same feel to it that it did in the mountains of NH. While its chilly I don't need a winter coat.
You are now back-pedaling by saying it's an "individual thing", And it's extremely misleading for you to make those comments in the first place by not immediately being upfront about having blood pressure issues and a hole in your heart.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:37 AM

605 posts, read 624,531 times
One key to dealing with darkness is to spend as much time as possible outdoors when the sun is up. That's hard for people who have a rigid daytime work schedule. Still, you can look for ways to get outside---on your lunch hour, on the weekend, whenever you can steal an hour. New Hampshire is nowhere near as bad as living in a place like Alaska in terms of darkness.

I'm not saying the short days in the winter don't bother me. They absolutely do, as do the cold and snow. But I've learned to not miss any opportunities to get outside during the day.

By the same token, the key to enduring winter is to embrace it by taking up outdoor activities---skiing, snowshoeing, hiking, etc. One thing I discovered is "lake walking"---snowshoeing or walking on a frozen lake, going out to talk with the fishermen, eating lunch in the sun on an island. There's a whole colony of people out there on the ice. The snowdrifts on a lake can be quite dramatic and beautiful.

Beyond these activities, winter is an opportunity to do things indoors---reading, writing, playing music, etc. It's a contemplative season.

If none of these solutions appeal to you, then New Hampshire might not work for you and yes, this all gets harder and less fun as you age. And it's harder still in an isolated northern town with no cultural activities, cinemas, or even stores to.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:31 PM

13 posts, read 17,026 times
Thanks to everyone who has replied. I’m diligently taking notes with suggestions! Although I’m sure the winters in Appalachia are not as bad as NH, but I always feel like the argument of “but...snow” is kinda condescending ��.
I honestly wonder what happens when people say they want to move to Arizona or Florida? Do people say to them “you won’t be able to stand the heat. Or the humidity. You’re not used to it and will move in a year.”
My cousin has lived in Alaska for 15 years (grew up in Miami). My aunt in Baltimore and D.C. for 30.
They are still alive to talk about it. Half of the country (or at least a third) is under snow for part of the year. I am 110 percent aware of the clouds, gray, snow and ice. Digging my car out. Sliding down hills and trying not to crap my pants....
I won’t be renting because I have 2 large dogs, three cats and 2 teenagers. Very hard to find a landlord willing to rent with that kind of baggage.
We’ve also considered Cedar Rapids, IA but it doesn’t have the mountains I miss. It’s still on my list though. Vermont is another one. My friend lives there and loves it.
Again, thanks for the suggestions!

Old 10-29-2017, 07:15 AM

830 posts, read 1,538,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokesmom View Post
I honestly wonder what happens when people say they want to move to Arizona or Florida? Do people say to them “you won’t be able to stand the heat. Or the humidity. You’re not used to it and will move in a year.”
I don't know, but I am willing to admit that I would probably have as much trouble with those places as people from those places might have with northern New England. I would not do well.

Cold northern places, though, have the added drawbacks of logistical difficulties related to snow, ice, and cold - cleaning off your car, accidents, etc.. And lots of sunshine is generally what humans need, while darkness isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire