Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 05:22 PM

48 posts, read 66,172 times

Advertisements

I would suggest Peterborough. While smaller than those other towns mentioned it has almost all of the things you are looking for. Sure, Portsmouth, Exeter, Amherst and Bedford are all nice but you get a lot more land and house for your money when you get away from the coast and the cities in N.H. After living down south near the water, i just don't see the advantage of paying high prices to live near the coast here. The water never really gets warm enough to enjoy it. plenty of nice ponds and lakes to swim and fish in all over the state.

Peterborough and the surrounding towns are what people think of when they picture N.H. White steeple churches surrounded by mountains and ponds. Yet still close enough to the major cities for job opportunities. no neon signs or drive-thrus allowed. Whenever I go to those other towns all i notice is Strip malls a lot of tract housing and the increase in traffic.

Last edited by tgmath; 10-30-2017 at 05:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 08:38 PM

607 posts, read 2,367,398 times
Thank you for the lists. To answer some of the questions brought forward. Rural living with houses on acreage are appealing. Septic is not a problem. I have visited old friends in Londonderry on my way through to Maine. Flown in and out of Manchester. Housing in the range of 300,000-400,00K. We have driven in and through Maine extensively. Been through NH, Mass and Vermont several times and have seen small towns that seem quaint and walkable. Even like upstate (rural) NY. As far as climate, the most diversified of weather mixing hot, cold, snow and sunshine. Are their pockets of NH that have these micro climates more so than the other parts of the state?

Nothing wrong with Mayberry right? I actually live in "Mayberry", just cant take the politics of my state, and am being taxed to death.

Are there better schools in some of those towns mentioned above?

Old 10-30-2017, 08:47 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,239,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmath View Post
I would suggest Peterborough. While smaller than those other towns mentioned it has almost all of the things you are looking for. Sure, Portsmouth, Exeter, Amherst and Bedford are all nice but you get a lot more land and house for your money when you get away from the coast and the cities in N.H. After living down south near the water, i just don't see the advantage of paying high prices to live near the coast here. The water never really gets warm enough to enjoy it. plenty of nice ponds and lakes to swim and fish in all over the state.

Peterborough and the surrounding towns are what people think of when they picture N.H. White steeple churches surrounded by mountains and ponds. Yet still close enough to the major cities for job opportunities. no neon signs or drive-thrus allowed. Whenever I go to those other towns all i notice is Strip malls a lot of tract housing and the increase in traffic.
Peterborough has high property taxes and is in the snow belt. And I’m not sure how Conval HS stacks up these days.

Coming from the West Coast is going to be a huge cultural shock. The sea coast area, specifically Portsmouth, will probably be the easiest transition.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:02 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,239,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
Thank you for the lists. To answer some of the questions brought forward. Rural living with houses on acreage are appealing. Septic is not a problem. I have visited old friends in Londonderry on my way through to Maine. Flown in and out of Manchester. Housing in the range of 300,000-400,00K. We have driven in and through Maine extensively. Been through NH, Mass and Vermont several times and have seen small towns that seem quaint and walkable. Even like upstate (rural) NY. As far as climate, the most diversified of weather mixing hot, cold, snow and sunshine. Are their pockets of NH that have these micro climates more so than the other parts of the state?

Nothing wrong with Mayberry right? I actually live in "Mayberry", just cant take the politics of my state, and am being taxed to death.

Are there better schools in some of those towns mentioned above?
I grew up in NH and have lived in the Bay Area for 25 years. I can assure you the “micro climates” in NH are no where near as pronounced as they are on the West Coast. Ie, there’s nothing that compares to driving through the Caldecott tunnel and emerging to a 20 degree temperature difference. Most people would never use the micro climate term.

Everywhere in NH will have 4 distinct seasons. The further north and west you go, the more snow you will get. But it’s not like getting rain in the Bay Area and 3 feet of snow in Tahoe. The changes are just not as dramatic in NH. You will experience 4 seasons everywhere, and winter will be the longest.

There aren’t many walkable towns in NH if you mean being able to live mostly without a car.
It’s just not that dense. Quaint in the New England sense and walkable to stores, etc, is few and far between. The only town that hasn’t been mentioned that I would add is Hanover. It’s isolated though, more so than Peterborough is.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:25 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I live in Londonderry. It is a car town that does not have any effective downtown. Next door is Derry that does have a small downtown but is still mostly a car town. Rochester also has a downtown but does not have the economy of Portsmouth. If I liked cities and could afford it I would live in Portsmouth. Next most likely would be Laconia so long as I could be somewhere during Bike Week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire