Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 05:28 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
. Kinda far... Income tax free WY, WA, &AK are great options with excellent summers, mtns, streams, lakes, (even oceans...) great paying jobs and good schools. WA auto registration -$45 (plus sales tax) no sales tax in AK. RVrs use MT for low cost vehicle registration. And use SD for income tax free domicile.

Sounds like you are going to stay in NY. (Too humid for me. ). But come out west for a visit some August! We have 4 neighbors who escaped from NY.

That SD domicile can have serious consequences down the road. There is a new neighbor near me that does that. Vehicles are registered in SD. I don't know about the income tax, but I suspect he doesn't pay AZ income tax. He did used to live in SD at one time. But, he's lived in AZ for a number of years now, full time. His only house is in AZ. He visits SD a few weeks each year, but is in AZ 10 or 11 months out of the year. I would imagine AZ would consider him a resident and would want their tax money and vehicle registration fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 05:52 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
I hear you with the health insurance. I will be covered by my job when I retire, but my plan wont be any good outside of the state I'm currently in, except in Emergency situations like when one is traveling pre-retirement.

The thing is, the city/state I'm in is very expensive, so would it be a big deal to need to buy a plan in a cheaper state? I could still fly back to the city/state I'm covered in for anything catastrophic, but I would want something that covered me for the day to day problems and check ups in the cheap state. Considering the thousands I will be saving annually in property taxes alone, I'm thinking the insurance issue doesn't carry as much weight as I initially thought it did.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:54 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
That SD domicile can have serious consequences down the road. There is a new neighbor near me that does that. Vehicles are registered in SD. I don't know about the income tax, but I suspect he doesn't pay AZ income tax. He did used to live in SD at one time. But, he's lived in AZ for a number of years now, full time. His only house is in AZ. He visits SD a few weeks each year, but is in AZ 10 or 11 months out of the year. I would imagine AZ would consider him a resident and would want their tax money and vehicle registration fees.

Once you go over the 180 days, they certainly do. I am not sure how aggressively they pursue it.

I know that i was in Virginia for five days when I received a warning ticket on my windshield at work reminding me that I had 30 days to get my license plates and driver's license switched over.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:34 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
So what is your health insurance??? Why won't physicians accept it?

Old 01-29-2018, 12:09 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
After my retirement, I lived in northern Michigan for ten years. It's not so bad. There were a dozen or so winter days a year when it would be a nuisance to have to get up and go out, but you're retired. Stay home and do your errands another day. My rental complex plowed the parking lot, I didn't even own a snowshovel. The old man below us kept his thermostat on about 80, so we never even needed to turn our heat on.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:15 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Once you go over the 180 days, they certainly do. I am not sure how aggressively they pursue it.

I know that i was in Virginia for five days when I received a warning ticket on my windshield at work reminding me that I had 30 days to get my license plates and driver's license switched over.
It varies by state. I think in Iowa, you had ten days to replate your car. But we once tried to replace our expiring plates when we were driving through New Mexico, and they said you have to be resident in the state for 60 days before you are even allowed to register and title your car there.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:01 AM

34 posts, read 59,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodels View Post
You don’t say where you live in New York, but I would imagine that rural New York is probably similar to Maine in many ways, and if you life outside of the city, a move might not benefit you as much as you might think.

That having been said, I think that Maine has most of what you are looking for. If you live in a rural area, you should be able to enjoy outdoor activities year-round. The summers here are nice. As NMLM mentioned, real estate is cheap. You’ll be able to find part-time jobs, but you may not be paid what you could expect to get elsewhere. I’m not sure if your insurance would be accepted, but quality healthcare is available. Live closer to Bangor (or Portland, though I’m guessing you might not be seeking that experience) for access to a full-service hospital.

You’re right that there are pros and cons to every place. Maine may be what you are looking for, but remember that the grass is not always greener on the other side.
You are right, the grass is not always greener on the other side... but we cannot stay in the area we are. The Hudson Valley is basically a bedroom community for NYC workers, it is VERY expensive and congested. We need to relocate, whether it be farther upstate or to another state.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:41 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times

As others said, you are over thinking it, and no place is perfect.

Remake your list of priorities, narrow down to the CRUCIAL ones and find a state/area that ticks those off.

There are dozens of retirement charts focusing on various things, and just as many thoughts on retirement areas here on city data. ( well thousands actually).

We can't deal with N.Y. winters any more. As soon as FIL passes we will winter at least in the south until my father passes, then we will stay south permanently. We don't care to have a strong winter season, but our area WILL have 4 seasons, just winter is more mild, though it will reach highs of 30 some days, cold enough to tell us it's winter but won't come with snow. Mostly 50/60° days with some balmy 70s tossed in during Jan and Feb. Compared to 80s with some 90s in summer the 50 degree days will be a good enough winter for us.

The property taxes there are a joke compared to N.Y. they are so low. Income taxes too.

Anywhere in the US you can find the outdoor things you like, or different ones you might like that are proper to the area. Even day trips can do you good, almost anywhere is a day trip to "other activities".

I also think you limiting yourself to to small a territory, broaden your horizons and look into other areas across the country. Take a few trips to differing locals and take a look-see. You can do a lot of online research before you go, and I don't mean charts and graphs. You can Google about anything, Google earth about anywhere. That's how,I found our retirement location. I monitor the local news and temps, have explored what is 3 hours away for a day trip or even weekend trip to "get away" and explore the surrounding territory. We will find mountains, major cities, beaches, lakes, etc. Probably everything BUT high mountain snow skiing, which we don't engage in anyway. We will have a more temporary climate suitable for our aching bones.

Everywhere is going to have cheaper things, and more expensive things. Pick which one place will mean overall cheaper living, not just the certain aspects.

As noted, if your insurance isn't accepted, but you save a ton on say property taxes, perhaps you can buy a plan in the new local. There are hospitals and walk ins every where and you can go to, where eventually you can be hooked up to a new doctor who will accept you and an insurance plan you can get. When or if you have medicare, there has to be doctors or hospitals that will take you.

Good luck in your search.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:44 AM

Thanks to all that replied…

AllisonHB – you are 100% correct, I am overwhelmed with the “what ifs” and no place is perfect. I do not think I have too many requirements on my list – 4 seasons, good healthcare within a reasonable drive, and a state that will not tax our pensions is not too much to ask.

Meo92953 – CD folks are great and very helpful. That is why I post, to get as many opinions/facts as I can. There may be somewhere that might fit our liking and unaware, until someone makes a suggestion.

StealthRabbit – We have thought about the Spokane area, and would like to take a trip out there. Staying in NY is not what we want; a lunatic runs NY!

Linnemj – We do plan to visit the Crossville/Cookeville area this summer. The creepy crawlies are the nasty spiders and chiggers.

ComeCloser – I do not want to purchase health insurance if I have it through my employer. That is a benefit of working 30 plus years, you get health insurance in your retirement package. I am sure others are in the same boat with that.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

As others said, you are over thinking it, and no place is perfect.

Remake your list of priorities, narrow down to the CRUCIAL ones and find a state/area that ticks those off.

There are dozens of retirement charts focusing on various things, and just as many thought on retirement areas here on city data. ( well thousands actually).

We can't deal with N.Y. winters any more. As soon as FIL passes we will winter at least in the south until my father passes, then we will stay south permanently. We don't care to have a strong winter season, but our area WILL have 4 seasons, just winter is more mild, though it will reach highs of 30 some days, cold enough yo tell us it's winter but won't come with snow. Mostly 50/60° days with some balmy 70s tossed in during Jan and Feb.

The property taxes there are a joke compared to N.Y. they are so low. Income taxes too.

Anywhere in the US you can find the outdoor things you lije, or different ones you might like that are proper to the area. Even day trips can do you good, almost anywhere is a day trip to "other activities".

I also think you limiting yourself to to small a territory, broaden your horizons and look into other areas across the country. Take a few trips to differing locals and taje a look-see. You can do a lot of online research before you go, and I don't mean charts and graphs. You can Google about anything, Google earth about anywhere. That's hiw,I found our retirement location. I monitor the local news and temps, have explored what is 3 hours away for a day trip or even weekend trip to "get away" and explore the surrounding territory. We will find mountains, major cities, beaches, lakes, etc. Probably everything BUT high mountain snow skiing, which we don't engage in anyway. We will have a more temporary climate suitable for our aching bones.

Everywhere is going to have cheaper things, and more expensive things. Pick which one place will mean overall cheaper living, not just the certain aspects.

As noted, if your insurance isn't accepted, but you save a ton on say property taxes, perhaps you can buy a plan in the new local. There are hospitals and walk ins every where and you can go to, where eventually you can be hooked up to a new doctor who will accept you and an insurance plan you can get. When or if you have medicare, there has to be doctors or hospitals that will take you.

Good luck in your search.
Galaxyhi -

What part of NY are you in? What area are you looking to retire too?

I know no place will be perfect but also don't want to settle in an area just because it is cheap to live. We do need to take some trips and explore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire