Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:22 AM

758 posts, read 2,889,470 times

Advertisements

If you think taxes are bad here try getting a job in Mass. My fiance' works over the border, and while her salary is quite a bit higher than mine, our take home is pretty comparable. I'd rather just pay it in one property tax than get taxed on any and every possible thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 07:05 PM

67 posts, read 366,281 times
Default film to see for info

There is a great new documentary and accompanying book and website called Communities and Consequences. It will go far to educate you about some of the pros and cons of NH living.
Communities and Consequences | New Hampshire's Changing Human Ecology

Old 03-28-2008, 07:24 PM

885 posts, read 2,661,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Hi again! Many people seem to complain about the property taxes more then anything. Are there any towns/areas with not so high taxes that still have good schools & low crime within 20-30 mins of Nashua or Manchester NH? If so what towns would that be?
Yes. Look here: 2007 (http://www.nh.gov/revenue/munc_prop/2007.htm - broken link)

Old 03-29-2008, 04:23 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aponeil View Post
There is a great new documentary and accompanying book and website called Communities and Consequences. It will go far to educate you about some of the pros and cons of NH living.
Communities and Consequences | New Hampshire's Changing Human Ecology
Thank you so much for posting this link!
I went and watched the trailer. It makes me sad, but at the same time foreshadows what may be a big shift in NH.

I had to write to them on their contact page, I hate those compelling e-mails that force u to spill thank you's and brilliant compliments, don't you? LOL

Ok off to give you rep points.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:43 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,490,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creatingfromthesource View Post
originally posted byTarastomsgirl
Fullback 2 Fl in 3 months

Thats my experience from someone who started LOVING the state and the longer I was there the more I didn't I found the "real" NE/ NH that goes beyond just some nice mountains and charming houses.... Some have had better experiences than me of course... I am relocating back to where I came from which to me tells me how bad I don't like NH because I swore I'd never come back to Fla.. But its better than staying in this state. IMO if you're looking to just keep to yourself, no really interested in people and wanna spend lots o money every year on utilities NH is the place for you.

(I am not sure if I am doing this 'quote thing' right...we'll see...)

I just feel the need to respond to this, not towards Tarastomsgirl in particular, but because it is a good example of what people generally do in life. (I freely admit that have also had this illusion). Why people are never happy (I prefer 'at peace') with where they are. I read the above passage and thought to myself "Why did she leave Florida?"

We look to people (marriages), places (states) and things (jobs,cars) for a sense of peace and we will never get it from those things. It is already inside us. The honeymoon so to speak eventually ends, and even paradise over time would become intolerable if you expected it to fulfill you. No place, person or thing can do that. Eventually sunny paradise would have "too many bugs", "too much sun", "never enough rain", "not enough shade trees" etc etc.

My suggestion before you leave NH, (Tarasomsgirl) is to try to make peace with every part of where you are, (potholes and all) and if you are still drawn to leave, follow that, but realize that over time, the reasons why you left Florida will be back. The pattern will continue circling until there is awareness. When you are ready, you will see it. Good luck on your journey.

Blessings,
Leah

I'm actually a very happy person and other than this place I have nothing much else to complain about.. however I think the NH forum has be struck by a case of the "yeah but" syndrome...

Old 04-26-2012, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,976 times
So I can't even tell you all how much it means to hear all these words of wisdom. My husband and I with our 3 children are actually thinking about moving to New Hampshire from the West Coast! We both were born and raised in Washington State and have lived in Oregon State for the last 4 years.

Ticks? We don't have them...if we do...I have never seen one!

When you say short summers...what is short to you? We may be accustomed to that with so many grey days around here that we don't mind so much.

Snow...how much snow exactly do you get? Like...how much is on the ground at any one given time? And how many months of the year is it below freezing?

Spiders...we have them, don't mind them so much. But a spider size can definitely vary. Any words of wisdom?

Property tax seems high...but in Washington we have property tax and sales tax. Oregon we have income tax and property tax. For us it seems like a wash.

What is your cost of a loaf of bread? What do you spend on groceries for your family each montha nd how many does your family include?

Gas prices? We are at about $4.00 a gallon right now?

Housing market? How is it holding up?

Oh my goodness I sound like a crazy ask too many questions kind of person...so sorry. But this will be a HUGE move for us if we make it! Please help!

Old 04-27-2012, 06:46 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,957 times
Ill take a stab at this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfamily5 View Post
So I can't even tell you all how much it means to hear all these words of wisdom. My husband and I with our 3 children are actually thinking about moving to New Hampshire from the West Coast! We both were born and raised in Washington State and have lived in Oregon State for the last 4 years.

Ticks? We don't have them...if we do...I have never seen one!

Yes, they are getting worse and worse lately, some of them carry lime desies so if bitten you have to deal with that. but it is preventable.

When you say short summers...what is short to you? We may be accustomed to that with so many grey days around here that we don't mind so much.

A typical summer in NH is amazing, it typically goes from memorial day till labor day, but sometime can start earlier say mothers day and go later till Columbus day. Some years you have a dry sunny amazing summer, others its cool and rainy. never know what your going to get.

Snow...how much snow exactly do you get? Like...how much is on the ground at any one given time? And how many months of the year is it below freezing?

Depends where in NH you are. if your in the north country its common to have 2+ feet on the ground from november till april. if your by the seacoast you may have snow that falls and then melts. and anywhere in between its a a mix. this past winter we basically had no snow all winter, but the winter before the entire state had 3+ feet on the ground the entire winter.

Spiders...we have them, don't mind them so much. But a spider size can definitely vary. Any words of wisdom?

step on them.

Property tax seems high...but in Washington we have property tax and sales tax. Oregon we have income tax and property tax. For us it seems like a wash.

Property tax may seem high, but it varies by the town, rule of thumb is the better the schools the higher the property tax. but the lack of an income and sales tax helps to make up for the property tax. when comparing NH to the rest of new England or the mid Atlantic (NJ, NY,)its pretty affordable place to live.

What is your cost of a loaf of bread? What do you spend on groceries for your family each montha nd how many does your family include?

Not sure about bread, but my wife typically spends 80$ a week for the two of us, with that said, she buys alot of specialty items and healthy food.

Gas prices? We are at about $4.00 a gallon right now? 3.82$

Housing market? How is it holding up? I would say pretty good. but it varies from town to town. I sold my 1400 sq foot cape last fall for more then i paid for it in 2007.

Oh my goodness I sound like a crazy ask too many questions kind of person...so sorry. But this will be a HUGE move for us if we make it! Please help!

Old 04-27-2012, 06:56 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
If you've lived in WA & OR... you won't have any problem with NH winter & climate. Don't worry about the bugs (at least, not the ones that don't fly! ). Traditionally winter starts in Nov and can last/gasp into May - mostly up in the North Country. that doesn't necessarily mean there's snow that whole time, just that it's noticeably colder in Nov and snow has happened into May - but it doesn't last long. Of course,there can be surprises like the Halloween snow last year! again, it didn't last and it wasn't a harbinger of a bad winter (there was almost no winter!) - heck, we had snow down here in MD at Halloween!

You're right about the taxes. It's pretty much a wash. Some towns have higher taxes than others, though. And the tax rates can change a lot from one year to the next if the town finally decides it has to build a new school. You can see the tax rates for all the towns here, and you can even compare over the years to see their trend (are they stable or always climbing...).

Can't help you much on prices of food or gas. I know when we've been up, the price of gas has been pretty much the same as the price in MD - occasionally you can find 1 station that's lower than the others. We have found the cost of food is about the same as in MD (some things cheaper, some things more expensive). More what we found is that some things we are used to buying here we don't see there (like Ballpark beef fat-free hot dogs - less fat and salt than the others), but we'll just have to adapt.

Val can answer your q's better on the housing market. You might find the mls website to be helpful though. Pick what town you want to look at and you can see what houses are available, what the taxes were....

Old 04-27-2012, 07:20 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,703,789 times
The one thing I will remind you is that the amount of money you make per hr is going to be a drastic change (though you won't have the taxes). WA has a very high minimum wage. Not sure about OR. NH has a good employment base with decent hourly wage, but don't expect to come in and get an entry level job at 18/hr, not going to happen - more like 8-10/hr for entry level. Others can pipe in if I'm wrong.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:41 AM

908 posts, read 1,119,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Thanks buck - The spiders at the house we bought are pretty much outside, so I don't mind them too much. The ones we had in the old farm house we rented were inside and just plain NASTY! I remember sitting in the living room, reading, and this BIG fat black one dropped on the book - I let out a scream, the dog came running, the cat ran the other way, the dog then saw it and ate it!
Jumping spider? Those guys are rovers. No web, predatory guys.

I had one drop on my face one time when I was napping in my bed. I opened my eyes and there he was sitting next to me. Spiders don't bother me as long as they keep to themselves; he got his just dessert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire