Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 02:27 PM

104 posts, read 465,975 times

Advertisements

This is an old thread, so don't know if it is too late to respond, but here goes anyways! I think you'd love it here in New Hampshire! Our state slogan is "live free or die", which is a quote from an early patriot, but I forgot his name. This reflects our attitude as a state. We believe in freedom, and the right to live our own way. We have minimal government, no sales taxes, no state income tax and our laws are very friendly towards small business. I live 20 minutes from Wilton, and am familiar with Pine Hill School (the Waldorf school). I wanted to send my kids there but couldn't afford it. But it is a great school, as is the Waldorf High school, High Mowing. Wilton is a quaint town with a main street dotted with little businesses. A German restaurant would fit in nicely! Wilton is beautiful and rural, yet very convenient to Nashua. It takes about 20 minutes, mostly highway. It is also right along Route 101, a major NH highway, which makes it easy to get to many other locations throughout the state, and also to Boston which is only a little over an hour away.

I've lived here since I was first married, over 25 years ago. I've known several people from Germany over the years, all of whom are very nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2006, 08:39 AM

409 posts, read 1,742,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHMT View Post
Not sure what you mean by all of NE as democratic. If you mean Democrat, no, thank God New Hampshire has fought the disastrous results of the liberal machine agenda. Just look at Boston, Hartford and see what you get with the Progressive agenda...more government jobs, more poverty, more taxes. Why do you think people are flocking to NH from these states and others? To create the nightmare they are leaving or to escape it. I left CT as a tax/political refugee and encourage others to do the same to preserve one of the last Constitutionally correct states in the Union, and I make no apology for my love of freedom and the right to be left alone. NO Nanny State Here.....Yet
Democratic: (?), a. 1. Pertaining to democracy; favoring democracy, or constructed upon the principle of government by the people.
2. belonging to or relating to the Democratic party, the political party so called.
3. Befitting the common people; -- opposed to aristocratic.

Thank you for your input.

Old 08-26-2006, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InGA View Post
What is AA??? Alcoholic Anonymous?

AA stands for African American. LOL stands for Laughing Out Loud. It saves some typing when you use these "shortcuts" (like when you type NH instead of typing out New Hampshire)...Did you really think I meant Alcoholic Anonymous?

Old 08-26-2006, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthangel1776 View Post
This is an old thread, so don't know if it is too late to respond, but here goes anyways! I think you'd love it here in New Hampshire! Our state slogan is "live free or die", which is a quote from an early patriot, but I forgot his name. This reflects our attitude as a state. We believe in freedom, and the right to live our own way. We have minimal government, no sales taxes, no state income tax and our laws are very friendly towards small business. I live 20 minutes from Wilton, and am familiar with Pine Hill School (the Waldorf school). I wanted to send my kids there but couldn't afford it. But it is a great school, as is the Waldorf High school, High Mowing. Wilton is a quaint town with a main street dotted with little businesses. A German restaurant would fit in nicely! Wilton is beautiful and rural, yet very convenient to Nashua. It takes about 20 minutes, mostly highway. It is also right along Route 101, a major NH highway, which makes it easy to get to many other locations throughout the state, and also to Boston which is only a little over an hour away.

I've lived here since I was first married, over 25 years ago. I've known several people from Germany over the years, all of whom are very nice.
Thank you for finally answering this question for me . I have beeasking about it for a while. I know all about who said it and how it started, but I wanted to know what attitude was behind it in today's moden society. Thanks for making it clear to me.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:57 PM

5 posts, read 68,290 times
New Hampshire winters are HORRIBLE. 10 years here, and about 12 in Massachusetts. NC sound like heaven. Yes, NH is better to raise a family, friendlier, and cheaper than Mass, but NC should have those benefits also. I have friends and done business in NC, if you are afraid of hot summers, the mountains is where you should go there. My vote is NC for sure.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 6,663 times
Hi! I currently live in Raleigh, NC and we are planning a move to NH next summer. We are moving because I have lived in NC for over 20 years and want a change and to be closer to my husband's family. While I am a little bored here, I will say it is a fabulous place to live. There is tons to do, active night life, a blooming arts scene, lots of jobs available, easy commutes, a VERY affordable lifestyle, and lots of culture. There is a decent German population, and a shockingly large number of foreigners in general. My son (who is 13) has 2 friends from Germany, and in our neighborhood there is about 20% American-born residents- the rest are from all over the world. I think a German restaurant would do excellent here.
That being said, we are in love with to the beauty and charm of NH. Everything is so new here, and all the same. Everything looks "varnished" to me. Tired of cookie-cutter suburbia. So that's the good and bad of NC- good luck with your decision.
BellaBloo

Old 11-08-2006, 07:11 AM

548 posts, read 2,642,031 times
I don't think anyone can answer this for you. Particularly when comparing one state with another without knowing what you are looking for...how much money do you have for housing? What sort of climate do you enjoy?

I can tell you that I lived in Maine for 3 years (borders NH) and I HATED it. The bugs were unbearable to me, the summers were cold, the winters were long...it's beautiful from a car, but to live in ? No thanks!! You could not possibly get me back to that part of the country (except for summer vacations--I love it in SMALL doses).

We moved to Chapel Hill, NC this year and I LOVE it. It's warm (yeh!) but you still get seasons, people are friendly. Chapel Hill is very liberal, which is a good thing for me . The public schools are excellent, or there are many other options in the area (including Emerson Waldorf).

I don't really think the cost of living is higher. Bottom line is that you pay a lot for a home in a good school district (like Chapel Hill), and not as much for one not in a good district. Same is true in NH.

Good luck w/your decision!

ps--I am not originally from the South, or from the NE, so I had no bias going into either area.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:19 AM

5 posts, read 33,992 times
Default Nh

Hallo! Wie geht's? NH is neat. I have heard a lot about the Waldorf School. Very good school. Philips Exeter Academy is good too. It gets really cold in the winters here. Wilton is a good choice. It's got the Norman Rockwell feel of small town life. Don't give up on your dream of coming to the US. Your visa'a will take time but it's worth the wait. I wish you and your family well. Viel Glück!

Old 12-07-2006, 10:28 PM

462 posts, read 1,871,647 times
North Carolina is humid during the summer, of course, in the mountains it is less humid. I've never been to New Hampshire. But I have to say , of the of the people from there, that I have met here in Carolina , I have liked them all.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:00 PM

5 posts, read 25,904 times
It is tough to say, it depends on what type of weather you prefer and if you have kids, how much money you have for housing, what you want to do for work. The weather in NH is cooler and has longer winters, but it still has nice warm summers. NC has very mild winters and hot humid summers. They are both beautiful and both have the mountains and ocean. Schools in NH are generally better than in NC, but you can find good school districts. NH is much more expensive though, but you are guaranteed good public schools. You can get a lot bigger and nicer house in NC for the same price as an average house in NH, but you will probably have to sacrifice a for a bad school district. Northern NH has few jobs, there are more in the south closer to Massechusettes. Rural NC also has few jobs. Its a tough choice... good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire