U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-26-2008, 07:00 PM

63 posts, read 118,195 times

Advertisements

New Hampshire Again Ranked 'Most Livable' State

CONCORD, N.H. -- For the fifth year in a row, a national ranking lists New Hampshire as the "Most Livable State" in the country.

The ranking, by CQ Press, is based on 44 factors, including income, crime rates, business taxes, employment, environment and education.

Last week, CQ Press named New Hampshire the safest state.

Other states at the top of the rankings were Utah, Wyoming, Minnesota and Iowa. Mississippi was at the bottom, with South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee and Arkansas.

Any thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 07:52 PM

6,764 posts, read 13,829,341 times
That's interesting.
I just hate these surveys because you get a new crop of people flocking into 'the promised land.'

Still, more people like the heat than cold and ice so most will be put off.

Honestly, in northern NH, salaries (like in VT) are pretty low except if you have a decent job.

I remember when my husband was interviewing outside Concord, which is in Central NH. The guy told him, "You'll never get rich working here." That's something to remember.

It's pretty here, but it does lack a lot of amenities and you have to do lots of driving to get to 'things.'

If that's okay with you, then NH (northern) is a good place to be. Southern NH is known as MA north...

MovingBack...where did Vermont rank?

Old 03-26-2008, 07:57 PM

2,489 posts, read 5,453,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingback View Post
New Hampshire Again Ranked 'Most Livable' State

CONCORD, N.H. -- For the fifth year in a row, a national ranking lists New Hampshire as the "Most Livable State" in the country.

The ranking, by CQ Press, is based on 44 factors, including income, crime rates, business taxes, employment, environment and education.

Last week, CQ Press named New Hampshire the safest state.

Other states at the top of the rankings were Utah, Wyoming, Minnesota and Iowa. Mississippi was at the bottom, with South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee and Arkansas.

Any thoughts?
We moved here 2 years ago and for us, it is a "more livable state" than NYS was!

Old 03-26-2008, 09:12 PM

108 posts, read 229,981 times
I am glad winter is a big turn off for many. That's why NH remains the most livable state

Old 03-26-2008, 09:27 PM

877 posts, read 1,666,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
That's interesting.
I remember when my husband was interviewing outside Concord, which is in Central NH. The guy told him, "You'll never get rich working here." That's something to remember.
Hmmm.... according to this Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
New Hampshire ranks 12th by state (in 06) for millionaires to households
and 3rd in median household income....
Wikipedia cites NH as having the 6th highest per captia income in the country for 05.
Doesn't seem like such a bad place to get rich.

Quote:
If that's okay with you, then NH (northern) is a good place to be. Southern NH is known as MA north...
That's unfair/insulting to S.NH and only said by those N.NH-ites who measure the passing of Winter by how many power outages they've had. :-p

Last edited by Yac; 01-16-2014 at 08:55 AM..

Old 03-26-2008, 09:56 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,031,196 times
Quote:
That's unfair/insulting to S.NH and only said by those N.NH-ites who measure the passing of Winter by how many power outages they've had. :-p
Thankyou! it does give a skewed perspective to people not from NH to keep seeing comments saying that ALL southern NH is the same, when it's not. SOME areas are very much like Mass, and becoming more so. But many are still small town NH. even some on the border!

Old 03-27-2008, 12:02 PM

248 posts, read 535,444 times
Talking Snowbunny....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSnow View Post
I am glad winter is a big turn off for many. That's why NH remains the most livable state
I agree with that! The winter is actually one of the reasons we are moving there! We love winter, outdoors, mountains, lakes, hunting, quadding, camping,fishing and small town life. We don't mind that you can't get rich living in certain areas... Life isn't about what you have... it is about the memories you can make That is what you take with you anyway! (And as long as you can save $$$ to help your kids get through college always helps to! ) ) I will be glad to keep our cold and snowy winters... it takes a "different" person to enjoy that! Most people can always enjoy the summer

Old 03-27-2008, 01:07 PM

4,057 posts, read 7,806,068 times
First part I agree with wholeheartedly--New Hampshire isn't for everybody and that's a good thing. An old Eagles lyric comes to mind "Call someplace paradise, kiss it goodbye", hence your observations of Southern NH. Yes there are some areas that are chock full of Mass. transplants, and the feeling is changing, especially if you're thinking of the cities like Nashua and Manchester. However, remember that we're not all shopping meccas... some towns still have their values and their conservative backbone intact!

Quote:
Still, more people like the heat than cold and ice so most will be put off.

<snip>

Old 03-27-2008, 01:13 PM

4,057 posts, read 7,806,068 times
When you look at the picture that BN posted of the castle on the shores of Winnipesaukee, you realize just how true that statement is

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcewan View Post
Hmmm.... according to this Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
New Hampshire ranks 12th by state (in 06) for millionaires to households
and 3rd in median household income....

Last edited by Yac; 01-16-2014 at 08:55 AM..

Old 03-28-2008, 12:03 PM

63 posts, read 118,195 times
GypsySoul22

Sorry, the article only listed NH, and didn't give any further information on other state rankings

As for the "lower wages" There are definitely higher paying jobs in the southern half, and lots of folks commuting to northern Mass. for work.

My wife and I are moving back to NH from California and will both be changing jobs in the process. Understanding that we won't be making 1/2 the income.
Age giving us vision, we both realize that making big bucks isn't what makes life worth living, and being closer to family and friends is what we get the most enjoyment and meaning out of life. (although making ends meet is still important for sure).
Also, part of the job change is to reduce stress that i believe is taking years off my wifes life. So making the "big bucks" can also inact a hidden toll that at some point you have to question if its worth the price.

Cheers, Paul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire