U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 01:54 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,392,604 times

Advertisements

There are a few southern NH towns that would be an easy 30-minute or under drive to Newburyport, but these towns range from super rural (South Hampton & Kensington) to almost overwhelmingly commercial (Seabrook). Exeter is only a few minutes further (101 to 95) and has features like an active downtown, highly rates schools, and good proximity to the coast (15 minutes to a variety of beaches in Hampton/North Hampton. Other than proximity to public transportation, what are you looking for in a town?

Regarding your 2nd question - all of the commuter rail lines north of Boston end at North Station. South Station access would be via the commuter bus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveTheIce View Post
Never really thought about those areas because what friends we do have are in the areas I had mentioned, but something worth looking into.

Could one drive into Newburyport and take that train in (I believe the last stop is North Station)?

Thanks for your response btw
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 04:02 PM

124 posts, read 109,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveTheIce View Post
Hi all-

Scenario 1

Living in Nashua or Hollis and using HWY 3 to get into Boston.

Scenario 2

Living in Salem or Windham and using 93 to get into Bosotn.

Scenario 3

Living in Salem and using an alternate route---say taking 38/ 3A all the way through Lowell and into Boston avoiding 93 all together.
Scenario 4
Living in Manchester and take whichever one doesn't have a current accident. That's what I did!

Old 06-04-2018, 04:23 PM

42 posts, read 50,583 times
Default Take train from Lowell

Rt 3 south from Nashua, etc. to Lowell connector. Get off on Thorndike Street and go about 1/4 mile to Lowell MBTA train station. Park in enclosed parking lot (important in winter), get on train to Boston (about 50 minutes), choose the seat you want because you are at beginning of the line.

I've hear that there are apartments/condos being built with an over head walk way to the train station. Nice!

I did this commute for several years; other years I drove in ($40/day on Boylston Street). This is a great option.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:45 PM

121 posts, read 138,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape_mass View Post
Rt 3 south from Nashua, etc. to Lowell connector. Get off on Thorndike Street and go about 1/4 mile to Lowell MBTA train station. Park in enclosed parking lot (important in winter), get on train to Boston (about 50 minutes), choose the seat you want because you are at beginning of the line.

I've hear that there are apartments/condos being built with an over head walk way to the train station. Nice!

I did this commute for several years; other years I drove in ($40/day on Boylston Street). This is a great option.
Thanks for the info- cant beat that insider information!

Old 06-06-2018, 03:56 PM

121 posts, read 138,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
There are a few southern NH towns that would be an easy 30-minute or under drive to Newburyport, but these towns range from super rural (South Hampton & Kensington) to almost overwhelmingly commercial (Seabrook). Exeter is only a few minutes further (101 to 95) and has features like an active downtown, highly rates schools, and good proximity to the coast (15 minutes to a variety of beaches in Hampton/North Hampton. Other than proximity to public transportation, what are you looking for in a town?

Regarding your 2nd question - all of the commuter rail lines north of Boston end at North Station. South Station access would be via the commuter bus...
Hi Valerie,

Thanks for your insight, I appreciate it.

We are realizing that we would need to be as close to the MA border as possible without sacrificing school quality. My kids would need to be in Bedford MA for an after school activity 2-3 times per week and my wife may have to commute into Boston or Waltham at some point which is why the public transportation is so interesting to me.

Windham is currently #1 on our list as the location is central, close to Salem, Close enough to Nashua, not that far from Hampton and close to the border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire