Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 12:27 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
$40 per child per year and the fees to go towards the cost of educating them would be nice and an acknowledgement by their parents that they using a lot more in state and town services that the childless people.
Childless people still collect social security and medicare, which is paid for by those children when they grow up. Forget what you've been told about what you pay in taxes goes into a trust fund that you draw out of when you retire. The money is spent in the same year it's received by the government. When you retire, the social security and medicare benefits you receive are paid for by current workers. Those children will be paying for your benefits, yours and everyone else who's retired. That's what you get in return for your taxes to educate them.

Last edited by jdhpa; 07-14-2018 at 01:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 05:54 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,878,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Forty bucks for annual bike inspection.. why? Not to prove my bike is safe, not to ensure that I was not a danger to others.. nope.. one reason and one reason only.. to make money for the state.. Time to ABOLISH state vehicle inspections
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl..._United_States I believe 13 states don't have inspections.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:57 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,878,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Childless people still collect social security and medicare, which is paid for by those children when they grow up. Forget what you've been told about what you pay in taxes goes into a trust fund that you draw out of when you retire. The money is spent in the same year it's received by the government. When you retire, the social security and medicare benefits you receive are paid for by current workers. Those children will be paying for your benefits, yours and everyone else who's retired. That's what you get in return for your taxes to educate them.
And not just retirees also Medicaid and those who never paid into the system

Old 07-14-2018, 09:41 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
How about get rid of those children, and instead of paying to educate them at a cost of $11K per year per child in grade school, with the savings in my greatly reduced property taxes, I wouldn't need Social Security benefits.

We can't base our economy on increasing population numbers. It's a house of cards that is doomed eventually to collapse.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:43 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl..._United_States I believe 13 states don't have inspections.
Great! So people like CrazyDave can move to one of them. I'm fine with having an annual vehicle inspection.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:57 AM

609 posts, read 349,743 times
The problem is state inspections standards are broad which is open to interpretation and fraud. So, countless mechanics "always" find something wrong with your car. Then the failure results are posted into databases so customers cannot go to another inspector. Fruad!!!!

Old 07-15-2018, 08:05 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,214 times
Quote:
My crazy neighbors would definitely be driving unsafe vehicles on the public roads if it were not for the annual state inspections. They love collecting free and bargain cars, trucks, and whatnot.

There are a good number of people that can't afford a decent used car and would definitely gamble driving a $500 junk car if they could get away with it.

Otherwise, I'd say for a motorcycle, since there isn't a safety cage around it, it's better for the owner to know that their bike is safe to ride around our curvy country roads. There's just less room for error when riding a motorcycle.

And $40 is really nothing in regards to a state fee. For an SUV, that's less than a full tank of gas!! Although I would love for families to have to register their school children every year. $40 per child per year and the fees to go towards the cost of educating them would be nice and an acknowledgement by their parents that they using a lot more in state and town services that the childless people.

Well we agree on a couple of things. An owner that does not upkeep their motorcycle gets what they deserve. I get the sticker because the law requires it, I tend to my own safety inspections because I want my bike road worthy.

I like the fee per child, actually lets expand that and require parents pay for the education of their own child.

As to safety inspections themselves, if you think all those getting them are riding around in safe vehicles that is extreme naivety on your part. The number of garages that will slap a sticker on a defective vehicle is much higher than you think. Your neighbors are most likely frequenting such places and are just as unsafe now as they were before paying the fee.

And no dear, I am not moving from NH over a 40 buck fee, as irritating as it is it still beats states with draconian helmet and seatbelt laws

Old 07-15-2018, 08:42 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,134 times
Quote:
How about get rid of those children, and instead of paying to educate them at a cost of $11K per year per child in grade school, with the savings in my greatly reduced property taxes, I wouldn't need Social Security benefits.

We can't base our economy on increasing population numbers. It's a house of cards that is doomed eventually to collapse.
"Get rid of those children"

Like physically? Outlaw children or deport them? Do you want a state with no children? No future workforce to take care of you in your old age and provide the goods and services you need? Maybe robots will do everything for us by then?

NH is doing a great job of getting rid of our children already once they graduate high school because they go to other states for higher education because this state has the highest public in-state tuition in the country. We hemorrhage our youth and most of them don't come back - lack of affordable higher education is one of the reasons why (but not the only reason). Other states look at education as an investment in their future work force and job market to attract companies but not NH. The only reason we've been able to stay afloat is in-migration of working age adults with education and skills that NH needs, but that too is slowing down. NH is slowly becoming a 55+ community, and as that happens our economy will tank as employers will be reluctant to invest in a state with so few youth of working age with the education and skills they need.

NH is shortsighted for sure...

Old 07-15-2018, 09:27 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
"Get rid of those children"

Like physically? Outlaw children or deport them? Do you want a state with no children? No future workforce to take care of you in your old age and provide the goods and services you need? Maybe robots will do everything for us by then?

NH is doing a great job of getting rid of our children already once they graduate high school because they go to other states for higher education because this state has the highest public in-state tuition in the country. We hemorrhage our youth and most of them don't come back - lack of affordable higher education is one of the reasons why (but not the only reason). Other states look at education as an investment in their future work force and job market to attract companies but not NH. The only reason we've been able to stay afloat is in-migration of working age adults with education and skills that NH needs, but that too is slowing down. NH is slowly becoming a 55+ community, and as that happens our economy will tank as employers will be reluctant to invest in a state with so few youth of working age with the education and skills they need.

NH is shortsighted for sure...
For the record I am not about getting rid of children ( must be a humanist thing ) I would love to see more personal accountability among parents though.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:08 AM

1,093 posts, read 1,058,760 times
Quote:
Great! So people like CrazyDave can move to one of them. I'm fine with having an annual vehicle inspection.
I've lived in some of those states that require inspections and witnessed absolutely the worst maintained and functioning vehicles on the road; that inspection sure helped their one remaining functioning brake light and bald winter tires.

Inspections are a waste of time, money, and infrastructure. There are too many legal and illegal ways around them, the standards vary drastically from state to state, and they waste time-which IMO is worth more than the sub $50 fee.

If it is already illegal to drive around with a light out whether it be brake, head, tail, etc, then pull a car over and tax him that way. The individual driver owns the responsibility for maintenance on his/her vehicle-I don't need the state to tell me one of the welds in my exhaust hypothetically broke therefore leaving a hole and I need to repair/replace it.

*side note watching this thread is I've been spoiled as the last time I paid for an inspection was maybe 2003, and the last time my current vehicle was inspected was by the dealer when I drove it off the lot in December 2007. This is despite living in over six states since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire