Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2006, 06:37 PM

20 posts, read 106,200 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are also trying to decide between NC and NH. We currently live in Durango, Colorado and are looking to live somewhere where the home prices are more affordable. We are considering Keene, NH and Asheville, NC.

What would you say is the biggest positive and negative about each of these areas?

My concern in NH is 1) the weather, 2) making friends

My concern in NC is 1) sterotypical "bible belt", "racial tension" southern thought- although I did not personally experience this on my recent visit. 2) growth- I don't want to end up living in LA in 10 years.

We hope to purchase a few rental houses. Is anyone a property manager with insight into these areas?

I would appreciate anyone's poinions on my thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2006, 01:47 AM

14 posts, read 67,552 times
Default @ jbob

Hi jbob,

I think I´m not the best contact person, because I´m living in Germany. But our goal is moving to the US and ervery searching showed, that housing costs are cheaper in NC.
As I said, I´m not the best information giver but we´re looking now for about half a year and that is what we found out.

american friend

Old 08-07-2007, 10:18 PM

14 posts, read 77,528 times
I, too, am trying to decide between NH and NC. I live in Exeter, NH right now. Have actually thought of moving to Keene area. Also thinking of Troutman, NC, which is about 40 mins north of Charlotte. It is growing so fast down there. My thought is that if Troutman is too congested in a few years then we'd move to a slower town then. I'm afraid of how long it might take to feel like "home" in NC. It would be a lot different than NH, but I guess in mostly good ways... better weather, friendlier people, less mosquitoes. I think NH has more beautiful land, but in NC you can drive a bit and find just as beautiful land. I'm also worried about not being so close to my parents and siblings, but I have a new family of my own now-- a husband and two little boys. I'm looking forward to the replies you get to this question of yours.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:04 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,656,730 times
I live in NC, but have been to Keene many times, and I really like the town. I could see myself possibly retiring there someday.

The first question I would ask is, are you expecting to be able to participate in wintertime activities (skating, skiing, sledding, snowmobiling)? What would you do instead to replace those activities? Are there particular foods or shopping that you might not want to give up should they not be available somewhere else?

I don't know how the O/P is comparing home prices in Colorado to those in NC. The company I work for has its two major offices in Charlotte and Denver, and from what I hear the folks in Denver generally pay less for their homes and food.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:14 PM

12 posts, read 39,001 times
I would say Asheville, if you do some comparisons...

There's SO much more going on culturally in Asheville than in Keene. Both are beautiful, so it's a toss up there, but cost of living (energy costs, specifically) is much better in NC than anywhere in New England.

That said, housing prices are very similar in both towns. I think you can actually get a little more from your money in Keene, when you look up properties in both on realtor.com.

There's also Keene State U. so renting out anything you buy (not necessarily to college kids, but also to year-long contracted professors and their families, would be pretty easy and could cover your mortgage.

Asheville is also somewhat more liberal than other parts of the state, so you may not experience the racial divide quite as much. Overall, when you look at racial makeup, Keene is 97% white with a population of 22,000, and Asheville is 76% white with a population of about 70,000. I think the latter is a more positive reflection of the diversity and culture an area can offer, IMHO! Something to consider.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:09 PM

14 posts, read 77,528 times
Is Asheville mountainous? Is that important to you? Keene is near Mt. Monadnock, the most hiked mountain in North America. The land is so beautiful and crystal clear waters nearby. Do you have family in either state? There isn't a lot of job opportunities in Keene, I hear. It would be a quaint country life for sure.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:02 PM

254 posts, read 1,142,543 times
Default I can help here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbob View Post
Hello,

We are also trying to decide between NC and NH. We currently live in Durango, Colorado and are looking to live somewhere where the home prices are more affordable. We are considering Keene, NH and Asheville, NC.

What would you say is the biggest positive and negative about each of these areas?

My concern in NH is 1) the weather, 2) making friends

My concern in NC is 1) sterotypical "bible belt", "racial tension" southern thought- although I did not personally experience this on my recent visit. 2) growth- I don't want to end up living in LA in 10 years.

We hope to purchase a few rental houses. Is anyone a property manager with insight into these areas?

I would appreciate anyone's poinions on my thoughts.
NH will not be LA in 10 years. different mentality on growth. NH can be a bit tough when you first move on the social front but once you are in and you prove yourself, you will be accepted. However, I dont think even having to prove yourself will be any kind of nightmare. If you are against the harsh weather, just stay out of the white mountains, stay near the south. yes, they have alot of snow and it can be cold but its not near as bad as its made out to be. You dont have the humidity so it doesnt feel as bad.

Now, Ashville, NC -- Ashville will be Los Angeles with a mountain backdrop and about nearly is already. It is growing almost out of control. Ashville doesnt have alot of the attitudes commenly thought of as "southern" or bible belt. They are really progressive and artsy. In fact it is one of the "hot spots" for wiccan type groups. It is one of the few cities in the entire south that has a gay protection law on the books. Traffic is absolutely INSANE almost day & night. Tractor trailors flying down every highway and there ALOT of accidents. If you get off the main roads into some of the areas around downtown, it can get down right quaint.
My personal opinion? Ashville is already a miniature LA and is very overrated. NH is the safe bet. Boston is close enough to get the added energy you might need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire