U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 06:27 PM

21 posts, read 10,278 times

Advertisements

My wife and I love Killington VT and would prfer to move there but we get hammered with income tax. We are looking for a nice area that is either on a lake or close to mtns at this point. I was looking at Lebanon as its close to Killington but would like to hear what other areas in NH we might eant to consider.

We really liked Barrett North Conway area but its just too far from family.

We are remote workers and can live anywhere. We want to be near small city or big town if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 08:46 PM

500 posts, read 339,186 times
Other areas of the Upper Valley that are close to Lebanon, such as Enfield. A little further down the 89 around Lake Sunapee area too (New London and Sunapee).

I personally am very fond of the Lakes Region, in the area surrounding Lake Winnisquam and the west side of Winnipesauke. Everything you need is found in Tilton, Laconia, Gilford and Meredith, and Concord is just down the 93.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:21 PM
KCZ

1,609 posts, read 849,759 times
Do you specifically want to be near a large ski area? Lebanon and Enfield are within easy distance of Sunapee, but the large areas are best accessed from the I-93 corridor. The Rte 4 drive back to Killington is tedious during ski and foliage seasons. And be sure to check that you can get high speed internet in any house that you're considering. The best way to know for sure is that the house already has it...coverage maps are pretty unreliable. And you'll want to compare real estate taxes as well...there's a sizable range in NH.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:38 PM

20,446 posts, read 35,069,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcangelo41 View Post
My wife and I love Killington VT and would prfer to move there but we get hammered with income tax. We are looking for a nice area that is either on a lake or close to mtns at this point. I was looking at Lebanon as its close to Killington but would like to hear what other areas in NH we might eant to consider.

We really liked Barrett North Conway area but its just too far from family.

We are remote workers and can live anywhere. We want to be near small city or big town if possible.
Lake Sunapee or Lake Winnipesaukee? You can find a nice house in Moultonboro by Meredith with very low taxes on properties away from the lake. Since so many residents are seasonal with $$$ lakefront houses, the equalized tax rate is very low for everyone. $250-300K houses have $2,500 a year in property taxes. Most other areas of the state have two and a half times that amount in property taxes due to lower valuations (non-lakefront, or less of a tax base).

Old 09-03-2018, 10:29 PM

20,446 posts, read 35,069,102 times
Following up on my previous post, there is a house that came up recently, (MLS), on Shaker Jerry Rd in Moultonboro, but it is more than $300K. Taxes are $1,900 a year, though, to expensive for a raised ranch. This one is a better value, needs updating: MLS #: 4711309 on Marvin Rd by Red Hill Rd.
Remember that Moultonboro has one of the lowest tax rates of any sizable town in NH- so property values will always hold up better than other towns and appreciate over time. Very well funded schools as well due to high valuation seasonal lakefront properties, that are often only occupied part of the year.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:00 AM

3 posts, read 1,623 times
What about the Littleton area? An hour from the Upper Valley and extremely close to mountains and lots of skiing.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:49 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,054,965 times
Another plug for the Upper Valley area. Lots of small towns feeding into the job centers of Lebanon & Hanover. Each town is different with a different vibe (and property tax rate). The area as a whole has a lot to offer with great access to the interstate if you want to get to Boston or another bigger metro.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:41 AM

71 posts, read 68,525 times
I'm not very familiar with Killington, but depending on what you are looking for, Littleton might be worth a look.

It is a cute and vibrant little mountain town with plenty of skiing close by (Cannon and Bretton Woods would be the closest, as well as our little town ski hill for days you don't feel like going to the real slopes). It is a small town, but is a regional hub, so has a lot more amenities than most towns of its size. It is known as the "Main Street of the Mountains" and has repeatedly been named one of the best small towns/Main Streets/downtowns in America. It has gotten a lot of write ups in Yankee Magazine, Outside magazine, NHPR etc. It is right off 93, so it is a lot easier to get places than it would be from North Conway. As a bonus for working at home, we also have high speed internet and the lowest electric rates in the state.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:07 PM

71 posts, read 68,525 times
Also just wanted to add in terms of bodies of water - Littleton has Partridge Lake, the Moore Reservoir (which is great for swimming, boating, kayaking etc) and the Connecticut and Ammonoosuc Rivers. Echo Lake is also nearby in Franconia Notch.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:26 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,378,111 times
I'd mention the Monadnock region, essentially the SW portion of the state, but we have enough folks here already. Seems our many lakes, our small mountains and our proximity to Massachusetts is draw enough. I'll leave the crowds to the lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or