Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 11:40 AM

830 posts, read 1,538,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Temple Mt "trecherous"? Haha! I live just off 101 too, and drive it all the time. Some may not be aware that the State plows and treats the road as soon as a storm ends, including Temple Mt, where the road isn't even very steep. While there are stretches of 30/35 MPH when 101 goes through a town, there are long stretches of 50 or 55 between towns. Once you leave Peterborough eastbound, it's 50 mph until you get to Wilton, about 20 miles.

Yes, the ride may be difficult during a snowstorm. Where would it not be?

I don't want to get into a big argument about this, but are you joking? One of the first things we learned from long-time locals when we moved here was how bad Temple Mountain is. Every single snowstorm, there are multiple cars off the road... in a greater proportion than in other places. It's the elevation gain, of course (for cars that are poorly-equipped) but also something about a microclimate.

The state actually frequently doesn't plow that stretch of 101 in a timely fashion and adequately and if you ever look at Peterborough police reports, you see that the town often calls the state DOT to come plow.

Trust me, I am from northern New England and have driven all over during snowstorms, and perhaps the most terrifying white-knuckle drive (in an AWD vehicle) was going to and from MHT from Pboro to drop someone off for an early morning flight, during a snowstorm (in the dark, of course, because it was winter.)

Regardless, it is not a great drive, and it's an annoying drive in the best conditions when you need to be somewhere and are behind a slowpoke and there's no passing zone in sight. If the OP can live anywhere, it's probably better to live on or near a major highway. The drive through Bedford en route to the airport can also be very slow. Also, Wilton is only about 13 miles from Peterborough, not 20.

Although, I guess the question is, how much flexibility does the OP have in choosing dates and times? And is flying 9 times a year such a big deal that a longer-than-hour drive would matter than much?

Last edited by cowbell76; 09-13-2018 at 11:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 11:58 AM

385 posts, read 345,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikutwo View Post
Thanks for all the info. Ossipee has several nice houses under $200k. It is true that the distance to the airport is only one factor, and you just know I'll have one heck of a snowstorm the night before a flight! I'm only 50 so no income tax is funding being able to max out saving for retirement.
Check out Wakefield, too, if you are looking at Ossipee. Lower property taxes there. It would have been my first choice but I didn't find the right house for me in the time frame I was looking in. There should definitely be houses in the price range you are looking. If you do get serious about Ossipee, feel free to drop me a pm for some specifics if you want them.

Ossipee is a long narrow town consisting of several smaller villages: Granite area that borders Wakefield, Center Ossipee that has the Town Hall, elementary school, fire department, public library, that sort of thing, Ossipee Corner, and West Ossipee that borders Tamworth. All with very distinct flavors. Intersection of Rt 28 and Rt 16 has grocery, Tractor Supply, Dollar Store, Ocean State Job Lots, gas stations, CVS, Dunkin Donuts, a bank, and some small misc little businesses. Up and down Rt 16 has furniture, pizza, hair place, etc. No close residential areas there you could walk from but it is a relatively short drive and Ossipee takes very good care of their roads in the winter.

Rt 16 runs through both towns down to Rochester or up to North Conway, for bigger shopping, about 30 minutes to each. As I stated before, both airports are about an hour and a half in good weather, good traffic. But I do like Ossipee very much.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:44 AM

20 posts, read 14,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb2017 View Post
Check out Wakefield, too, if you are looking at Ossipee. Lower property taxes there. It would have been my first choice but I didn't find the right house for me in the time frame I was looking in. There should definitely be houses in the price range you are looking. If you do get serious about Ossipee, feel free to drop me a pm for some specifics if you want them.

Ossipee is a long narrow town consisting of several smaller villages: Granite area that borders Wakefield, Center Ossipee that has the Town Hall, elementary school, fire department, public library, that sort of thing, Ossipee Corner, and West Ossipee that borders Tamworth. All with very distinct flavors. Intersection of Rt 28 and Rt 16 has grocery, Tractor Supply, Dollar Store, Ocean State Job Lots, gas stations, CVS, Dunkin Donuts, a bank, and some small misc little businesses. Up and down Rt 16 has furniture, pizza, hair place, etc. No close residential areas there you could walk from but it is a relatively short drive and Ossipee takes very good care of their roads in the winter.

Rt 16 runs through both towns down to Rochester or up to North Conway, for bigger shopping, about 30 minutes to each. As I stated before, both airports are about an hour and a half in good weather, good traffic. But I do like Ossipee very much.

Thanks SB I will. Went and read through some of your old posts pre move for some ideas too. Now to sell our place here in FL first. See you next winter!

Old 09-14-2018, 03:54 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,738,168 times
Keene's property taxes are off the chart. Not advisable.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Keene's property taxes are off the chart. Not advisable.
So right over $37 that is hilarious. I should dump that tax file into excel and cut out half the list and start from there. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:42 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,738,168 times
I'm thinking that your best bet is the Lakes Region. There are several low tax towns. Meredith is about $15 per thousand. There are many ranch homes there under 200k. Love that town. Lot of tourists in the summer, but it is what it is.

If you were willing to look at condos you could have a much better selection of housing, along with the benefit of not having to do your own shoveling/plowing.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:45 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Question Which towns keep the tax rates low by appraising everything higher than fair market value?

Quote:
So right over $37 that is hilarious. I should dump that tax file into excel and cut out half the list and start from there. Thanks for the heads up.
Once you've found towns worth considering, compare actual tax bills rather than just the rate, or if you must redline towns based on the tax rate, make sure you work with both tax rates and equalization,

It's also worth looking at the change in rate over time, and whether a town is facing a large upcoming expenditure (usually a new school) which may bring with it a substantial rate increase.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:22 PM
KCZ

4,670 posts, read 3,665,713 times
Quote:

The state already did that for you.
https://www.revenue.nh.gov/mun-prop/...-tax-rates.htm

There is a lot of good info on the State of NH website for new residents.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
The state already did that for you.
https://www.revenue.nh.gov/mun-prop/...-tax-rates.htm

There is a lot of good info on the State of NH website for new residents.

Awesome. What's up with Moultonborough? They just dont like taxes. Probably more to it.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:32 AM

500 posts, read 636,088 times
99% of people in NH don't like taxes. There are some towns in NH with no police and little services even.

In Moultonborough, there are lots of nice lakefront properties. Many of them are owned by people from out of state, so they do not put a burden on the school and services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire