Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 08:08 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,504,464 times

Advertisements

Keene has the basic big box retailers and is where we go for "supplies" since we live about 15 miles east. (easy drive though - no lights or stop signs until Keene!).

Do note that Keene's Walmart is an old, tired store - not a super walmart.

Also beware that high speed internet is spotty in the Monadnocks, although the state used stimulus money a few years back to put in a fiber backbone through some towns. Last mile buildout seems to be lacking though.

It always strikes me as funny to see posters refer to Concord as civilization. In reality it's a pretty small, provincial town, with the same big box stores you find in a Keene or Lebanon, just maybe a bit more of the same.

I'm not a downhill skier, but am aware of at least 4 ski areas in SW NH, Pat's Peak and Mt. Sunapee are the best known, but there's also Crotched Mtn (more like a big hill?) and Granite Gorge.

Folks I know do love winter activities such as nordic skiing and snoeshoeing. Snowmobiling seems to be less popular than other parts of the state, but is still another outlet. We are loaded with ponds, conservation land and nature areas (check out the Harris Center website for examples and a map).

Schools? Since this is a rural area, you'll find consolidated school districts covering multiple towns. The HS won't offer a depth of AP classes since there aren't enough students, but the schools are generally thought to be decent within the limits of the demograpics of the district - a town with few college grad parents will send fewer to college than a Lebanon with many kids of Dartmouth faculty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 05:17 PM

21 posts, read 26,349 times
This is all great Intel! Only one way to find out more and that's to get in the car and go. We are probably goong to stay a night at Sunappee and checkout Concord, Keene, Lebanon etc.

We want higher ranked schools and the ability to buy something and easily rent it as an airbnb, short term, or long term rental. So us buying in a vacation zone is also doable. Happy for any other input. Thanks for all of the great commentary. I don't think I'm addicted to the killington ski slopes as I am to the scene there and its proximity to major hospital and town of Rutland for restaurants movies etc. Along with Killington top rated schools.

A main driver of skipping killington is state income and sales tax long term savings VS. What we could potentially save by picking NH. I just want to make sure folks realize this is the main reason we havent already bought at Killington.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:18 AM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,665,713 times
If you're really wanting something the size of Rutland close by, then Lebanon and the Upper Valley aren't going to be anywhere near large enough. There are some big box stores in Lebanon, an indy movie theater in Hanover, and some some small live theater venues, but overall there isn't much other shopping, not that many decent restaurants (although there are some), and not much entertainment unless you plan to integrate yourself into the Dartmouth community (job, alum, etc.). Outside of the tiny downtowns in Lebanon and Hanover, it quickly becomes very rural with mostly forests and unused farmland being chopped up for homes for employees of Dartmouth and DHMC. Sunapee/New London might be a better choice as that area will put Concord within 45 minutes or so and give you more dining and entertainment options.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:11 PM

219 posts, read 366,611 times
I am struggling to comprehend why anyone would desire to live in killington for any reason other than skiing? This from someone who loves killington, the draw of rutland is even more peculiar. Last I knew there was a major drug problem in rutvegas.

If you are looking for a resort area with local amenities and very rentable property, stop looking and immediately book a weekend in north conway. North conway isn't so much a city but a giant theme park for families, complete with a half dozen ski areas, more good restaurants than you could visit in a month, all the box stores, scenic railroad, a quant but small downtown, museums, theme parks, a hospital, endless outlet stores, hiking, mt washington auto road, swimming, canoeing, etc.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:23 PM

Lol north Conway is 100% amazing but my wife feels its just a bit too far from our family. I do agree its got all the check boxes but just 1 too many miles away from NYC.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:04 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,547 times
I know I'm biased since I've lived in the Upper Valley since the mid-80's but I think this area has a LOT to offer. It's very much the sum of it's parts. The College and the Medical Center bring a lot of social and economic stability to the area.

Keene is fine but I find it quite isolated. The only time we go there is for Target.

I don't get the draw of Rutland at all, I've been over there a bunch over the years for sports games and it basically feels like a larger Claremont NH or Springfield VT to me. A town that is well past it's best days and trying to find a path forward. That's maybe fine if you want to be a part of that rebuild but for a casual ownership situation I don't see the draw other than proximity to the Mountains.

If you want Ski proximity then I'd point you towards the NH Mountains or Lakes Region instead. The towns in that area have a lot of charm and are more on the upswing. That makes the property a better investment. Also the ride up 93 for your potential Mass. renters is simpler than getting over to western Vermont.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:54 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,504,464 times
Keene more isolated than the upper valley? I learn new things all the time. BTW, I live near Keene.

Upper valley is great for proximity to the north and west, but not so hot for getting to bigger metro areas like Boston, although google maps shows similar driving times to Boston and Nashua.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:23 AM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,665,713 times
It seems like proximity to NYC is a big factor here. Are you looking solely at driving time? If so, take a map and draw a circle encompassing the acceptable areas, which would narrow down this discussion a lot. Do you have to be in the I-91 corridor? Is I-93 OK which would open up access to a lot of NH ski areas? Is flying from MHT to NYC an option?

I'd look hard at the Littleton area. It's right off both I-91 and I-93, and according to Mapquest it's only 37 minutes further from NYC than Killington is. It has an assortment of big box stores, small hospital, movie theater, some restaurants, and great access to ski areas, which should make it a good place to rent out as a BnB.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:08 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Keene more isolated than the upper valley? I learn new things all the time. BTW, I live near Keene.

Upper valley is great for proximity to the north and west, but not so hot for getting to bigger metro areas like Boston, although google maps shows similar driving times to Boston and Nashua.
Keene to Logan, 2 hrs 9 min.
Lebanon to Logan, 2 hrs 8 min.

Lebanon to MHT, 1 hr 11 min.
Keene to MHT, 1 hr 17 min

Essentially the same, like you mentioned. Difference is Interstate travel vs 2-lane travel.

Looking at a map, Keene isn't really near anything (which some people like). It's not off a major highway, much less at the conflux of 2 of them. That's what I mean by isolated. To ME, the UV feels more connected because we are at that major interstate crossroads. It feels less isolated to me than Keene, which I travel through 5 or 6 times a year and which doesn't actually feel like it's 'on the way' to anything. Again, that is probably some of it's appeal to folks.

It's opinion and perception, I mean no disrespect. Keene is no slouch, I was just giving my opinion.

-----------

So getting back to the topic at hand, this is one of the reasons I referenced the Whites, access. I-93 is the backbone of travel and that makes a difference for folks coming up from the flatlands to stay and ski.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
It seems like proximity to NYC is a big factor here. Are you looking solely at driving time? If so, take a map and draw a circle encompassing the acceptable areas, which would narrow down this discussion a lot. Do you have to be in the I-91 corridor? Is I-93 OK which would open up access to a lot of NH ski areas? Is flying from MHT to NYC an option?

I'd look hard at the Littleton area. It's right off both I-91 and I-93, and according to Mapquest it's only 37 minutes further from NYC than Killington is. It has an assortment of big box stores, small hospital, movie theater, some restaurants, and great access to ski areas, which should make it a good place to rent out as a BnB.
So greatful for this forum and its community to help us talk through this.

Yes Rutland is nothing special with an old school movie theater...but this is great compared to other mountain areas like hunter NY, mount snow VT who really have cute quaint towns but aren't very close proximity to big shopping, hospitals etc.

My wife and I loved mt. Washington area but for weekend warrior trips 330 miles each way on highways that get slammed with traffic is a lot different then 240 miles to Killington.

I wish we had direct flights as an option but those are in NJ from what I can find....

So if I draw a circle it seems SW NH is the spot for us so I bring up other mountains like Sunapee etc. Etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire