Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 06:44 PM

8 posts, read 11,261 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks. My wife has a possible relocation opportunity in Keene. We have been contemplating a move from NJ to NH for some time and we have visited the Concord area recently but are only familiar with the Keene area through friends who once lived in Jaffrey. We are anticipating renting for the first year and I was hoping someone could recommend an apartment complex, rental properties or rental agents in the Keene area. My wife will be working at Keene State and we are open to towns in the area that are within a half hour commute. We also have a small dog and cat. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 10:09 AM

117 posts, read 127,999 times
Don't, you won't like Keene. It will seem cute at first but its far removed from any other area and its near Brattleboro, another place I personally do not care for.

If you can get into Nashua and Manchester, stay away from the wackheads and shady people then you'll be fine.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:39 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
Keene is a tough town cause there's really not much there but the town itself. Which isn't that large. Its far removed from mostly everything, particularly in the winter. It'll be a good hour drive or more to the larger town/cities if you need to make any sort of significant purchase that you can't find there.

It has some box named stores like Walmart and Target. It really is just a college town. It used to have the pumpkin festival but the college kids ruined it when they rioted a few years back so now no one really has reason to go to Keene lol. My husband was a police officer out there and there was a large drug problem at the time and Free Staters were having constant demonstrations in the main sqaure. Its good if you want to remove from it all but I recommend things like a generator for the winter. They get absolutely dumped with now and ice and travel can be difficult if not impossible sometimes in and out of town.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:12 AM

104 posts, read 139,068 times
I agree with the others. Keene is way out there with not much around. But if you already have a job lined up at the school then... great.

Beware of the Freestaters. They are a libertarian/anarchist group that is attempting to take over the government of a town and region. They are the type that harass police and other officials constantly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_State_Project

Old 10-14-2018, 08:00 PM

8 posts, read 11,261 times
Thanks to all who posted a response. My wife and I will be visiting the area this week.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:29 PM

117 posts, read 127,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takingnames View Post
I agree with the others. Keene is way out there with not much around. But if you already have a job lined up at the school then... great.

Beware of the Freestaters. They are a libertarian/anarchist group that is attempting to take over the government of a town and region. They are the type that harass police and other officials constantly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_State_Project
I was fascinated heavily with the free staters when someone brought them up to me a long time ago and the Free Keene movement. I talked with someone personally who I ran into at The Station, told me he got stopped by the cops, he even knew a cop who stopped me when I told him the description. Small area so word gets around. I stayed in Keene for 2 months about. I initially could see it as a possible place to live, but it ended up being too far from everywhere else, not as bad as the Cape is but pretty close in its own way as far as distance to other stuff. You gotta drive to get out of there to go anywhere else.

But ya, the FSP intrigued me and when I saw other more common folks protesting them, I thought they were the ones with more problems. If Free staters ran a government, I genuinely believe they would just live off to themselves and not bother too many people, even bring the community together but long timers stuck in their ways have to have a stick up their A about it. Sure they had some wackos ya, but I'd at least give em a dialogue or get on camera for them.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNewEngland View Post
I was fascinated heavily with the free staters when someone brought them up to me a long time ago and the Free Keene movement. I talked with someone personally who I ran into at The Station, told me he got stopped by the cops, he even knew a cop who stopped me when I told him the description. Small area so word gets around. I stayed in Keene for 2 months about. I initially could see it as a possible place to live, but it ended up being too far from everywhere else, not as bad as the Cape is but pretty close in its own way as far as distance to other stuff. You gotta drive to get out of there to go anywhere else.

But ya, the FSP intrigued me and when I saw other more common folks protesting them, I thought they were the ones with more problems. If Free staters ran a government, I genuinely believe they would just live off to themselves and not bother too many people, even bring the community together but long timers stuck in their ways have to have a stick up their A about it. Sure they had some wackos ya, but I'd at least give em a dialogue or get on camera for them.

They're super harassing to law enforcement families. They would post the addresses of officers and encourage people to go protest in front of their homes. They'd also post where the officers kids went to school and such, if their wives were house wives.. essentially lots of personal information. Keene PD is small , at least when we were there. They were such a pain in the you know what. Writing on the govt buildings downtown, the women protesting topless right next to the elementary school, stopping traffic in the main square just to be arrested and then complain about the police... it was never ending with them

Old 10-15-2018, 10:04 AM

830 posts, read 1,538,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
They're super harassing to law enforcement families. They would post the addresses of officers and encourage people to go protest in front of their homes. They'd also post where the officers kids went to school and such, if their wives were house wives.. essentially lots of personal information. Keene PD is small , at least when we were there. They were such a pain in the you know what. Writing on the govt buildings downtown, the women protesting topless right next to the elementary school, stopping traffic in the main square just to be arrested and then complain about the police... it was never ending with them

I'm curious how active they are with this sort of thing these days. (Does anyone know? I'm not questioning you, I am genuinely curious.)

I ask because I was aware of all this, and had seen videos posted online of people open-carrying guns into government buildings, refusing to cooperate with traffic stops, etc.. There was the whole thing with people feeding parking meters so the town couldn't get revenue from tickets. I used to live in a different area of NH and now live near Keene, and I just realized I haven't ever seen any of this going on. But maybe I am just not there enough day-in and day-out. (Really, just to shop or maybe dine on Main Street, outside in nice weather.)

Old 10-16-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
I'm curious how active they are with this sort of thing these days. (Does anyone know? I'm not questioning you, I am genuinely curious.)

I ask because I was aware of all this, and had seen videos posted online of people open-carrying guns into government buildings, refusing to cooperate with traffic stops, etc.. There was the whole thing with people feeding parking meters so the town couldn't get revenue from tickets. I used to live in a different area of NH and now live near Keene, and I just realized I haven't ever seen any of this going on. But maybe I am just not there enough day-in and day-out. (Really, just to shop or maybe dine on Main Street, outside in nice weather.)

My husband and I laughed at the parking meter thing. I think they called themselves Robin Hooders or something.. it was a $5 ticket if the meter ran out and most times you could plead your case... they weren't really making that much of a difference lol! I have't stepped foot in that town in 10 years and and probably wont for the next 10 years. I do wonder if they've continued the fight or moved on to another town. I also wonder why they chose such a small town in the middle of nowhere to try and bring down the gov't. It was more a pain in the --- for the residents than it ever was for the Keene local govt. A lot of the residents didn't want them there

Old 10-17-2018, 03:54 AM

86 posts, read 88,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePat99 View Post
Thanks to all who posted a response. My wife and I will be visiting the area this week.
Keene isn't a bad little town, it all depends on what you want. Go check it out like your going to and see for yourself. Good Luck, hope you find what your looking for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire