U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 06:50 PM

637 posts, read 963,662 times

Advertisements

OP, have you ever actually been to Portland, Oregon? I'm pretty sure that if you're relying on the Craigslist rental market, you're not going to have any better luck there with the sorts of people you'll encounter....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 09:01 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,821,244 times
Good luck in Portland, OR. If you're looking for more balanced people, you're in for a surprise. Anything goes in that city, including drugs everywhere, crime, and homelessness galore. But it's trendy, so whatever.....

I lived in the Seattle/Tacoma area for 6 yrs, so I'm qualified to speak about that area of the country.

I'm betting you're going to have the same problems there that you had here. There's probably a common thread.....

Old 10-09-2018, 09:20 PM

20,240 posts, read 34,628,022 times
I would rate NH quality of life higher than OR quality of life, but that likely depends on the what qualities and amenities the individual is looking for. I'll take both states over most southern states in an instant, though, because I despise heat and humidity with a passion. Let's see, 90F high temperature today in the Ohio Valley on October 9th.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:29 PM
miu

16,532 posts, read 33,545,625 times
To the OP -

Why didn't you post here a year ago and ask our advice for housing options?

How old are you? What can you do for work? What are your long term goals? Where have you lived before?

And I also think that you will find Portland, OR very expensive to live in. And if you have a limited budget and no family or friends already in Portland, I see you also having housemate issues and leaving Portland after a year.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:33 PM

51 posts, read 14,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
To the OP -

Why didn't you post here a year ago and ask our advice for housing options?

How old are you? What can you do for work? What are your long term goals? Where have you lived before?

And I also think that you will find Portland, OR very expensive to live in. And if you have a limited budget and no family or friends already in Portland, I see you also having housemate issues and leaving Portland after a year.

For starters, I will not have to pay slumlords all my monthly money like I was doing here, thats a big plus as I will be on the property of my mom and stepdad living in a mother in law apartment, then no winters and even if you we're going to pay as high a rent, you'd get a better location at least, at least one with great high speed internet and TRASH PICK UP. I been to Portland before back 6 years ago. Before I learned of how bad the rental housing was in New England so I always longed to settle down here, but its just not a possibility now. I am a late starter and have had to make several errors and mistakes just to get where I am now.

So yes while it could suck if you're depending on slumlords in Portland, I haven't. Not even the first time around. If anything I regretted leaving there in later years as it was so inexpensive and clean. I am under the impression more landlords aim to please out there than they do here. Same in California. That for the higher cost, people wont feel too good to go out of their way to make a tenant happy or to KEEP them. Is it asking too much just to rent out a clean place with low drama? I mean seriously. New England and Florida are both lagging bad in this department.

Coming back to Portland area for me would be like turning back the clock and getting a 2nd chance I never thought I'd get.

And for work, I collect SSI, I am disabled, somewhat functional enough to work depending on what it is. Awfully hard in New England now unless you're living in say your parents old house that they bought years ago to have more space to accomodate like a friend of mine does and fewer mother in law apartments also seem to be available.

My long term goals are simple, meet a partner, build roots, get a job I can stay at and work myself off the system eventually but its more encouraged to stay on the system in NE but its not really progressive either if you catch my drift. Its old energy now and I been at my moms house shes trying to sell in Cape Cod and my god, its frikken Boring down here. Its worse than NH by a good deal I find. NH would be ok but its just too cold, housing availability again is like the rest of NE.. all these small states with very little room for all these people. I do like the low traffic of NH, but again it comes with other major tradeoffs.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
OP, have you ever actually been to Portland, Oregon? I'm pretty sure that if you're relying on the Craigslist rental market, you're not going to have any better luck there with the sorts of people you'll encounter....

I won't be though and even if I was, in my experience when I did, it was better. They make the places more ready to rent. My track losing record isnt anywhere near as high as back east. and in CA I never rented, I lived at home paying next to nothing but I do know they rent them there in better preparation too, as high cost as they are and oh, if anyone in NE rents a place out ready, nice and clean and say they accomodate more.. YOU'RE IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE or they're a complete psycho or sex offender, not always near things or you gotta go out to Keene further to get anything remotely as nice as the closer towns, nobody gives anything away for very little. People will act like you're putting them out of their way when you have to pay them to begin with. Its like acts of kindness by people are done with a cost attached to them and I just dont like that mentality. My dad is the same way too to some extent. If he helps you, he can turn around and throw it in your face at any time. There are laid back nicer more jovial New Englanders ya, but truth is they're a smaller amount. If I found any, the highest concentration of them were in Townsend/Pepperell/Fitchburg area I noticed. Good crowd over there. Milford NH/Brookline people wise I didn't mind either. Its really all similar in all these towns though.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:19 PM
miu

16,532 posts, read 33,545,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNewEngland View Post
My long term goals are simple, meet a partner, build roots, get a job I can stay at and work myself off the system eventually but its more encouraged to stay on the system in NE but its not really progressive either if you catch my drift. Its old energy now and I been at my moms house shes trying to sell in Cape Cod and my god, its frikken Boring down here. Its worse than NH by a good deal I find. NH would be ok but its just too cold, housing availability again is like the rest of NE.. all these small states with very little room for all these people. I do like the low traffic of NH, but again it comes with other major tradeoffs.
Wow. Aren't you a ray of sunshine!

If you find Cape Cod boring, then certainly you would be also unhappy with NH. As to slumlords, well having tenants like you is no picnic either. And in general, the problem with renters is that they don't take care of their apartments or the appliances. Since they don't own them, they just don't make any effort to take care of them and expect the landlords to fix everything ASAP.

So the best thing for you is to go back to live with mommy and daddy in their in-law apartment, then they can take care of the trash removal and any headaches for you. I do feel sorry for them that they are saddled with a child like you.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Wow. Aren't you a ray of sunshine!

If you find Cape Cod boring, then certainly you would be also unhappy with NH. As to slumlords, well having tenants like you is no picnic either. And in general, the problem with renters is that they don't take care of their apartments or the appliances. Since they don't own them, they just don't make any effort to take care of them and expect the landlords to fix everything ASAP.

So the best thing for you is to go back to live with mommy and daddy in their in-law apartment, then they can take care of the trash removal and any headaches for you. I do feel sorry for them that they are saddled with a child like you.

As an overall place, rent issues aside, I would ordinarily take bigger town living in NH over Cape Cod. 100%. Theres still more to do in NH, even if it can get old too. The Cape though, not much can describe how sickeningly boring it is though, its worse than most places and the drivers are horrible too. No good cigar bars really.. not around Bourne anyhow.. The food is lousy too. If you love breakfast food, maybe you'll find a few good places or if you want to overpay for seafood. Beyond that, name me anything else that is standout good, excellent. One chinese place was pretty good but.. what else is wonderful there? not really a lot I don't think. Its a flavorless bland, nobody has any swag kind of place.

People like you are the problem. You're an apologist for all the bad evil people out there who can still run amok. I am not your typical tenant. I DO keep the place up and do much more cleaning often times than the actual homeowner did! I Cared for it more, you dont know squat about me k and you're extremely judgemental and ignorant. Only time class segregation is good is when I don't have to be seen around those of the likes of you or these others but still gotta be reminded of it somehow. You judge every renter as if they destroy every property they go to. Its easily just as much the owners fault or even the trusted renter who interviews others especially when things aren't kept up. Do you not realize you just apologized for a registered sex offender just now? or a psycho who thought I'd murder her in her sleep because I had a gun and once got mad over being locked out.. She in fact would be the murderer if she felt unsafe for no good reason but cried victim, tried making me feel bad. Told me i was being disrespectful when she was antagonizing me. These are the types of people you're sticking up for miu. And for that I lose respect for you... bigly.

Last edited by LeavingNewEngland; 10-12-2018 at 12:40 AM..

Old 10-12-2018, 08:10 AM

741 posts, read 304,912 times
I think the OP has made their point, that they had a bad experience here, and that's because this is a lousy region, filled with lousy people. Similarly, I think that many residents have made their point, that they disagree with this appraisal. Not even sure that was worth anything before, but it seems like continuing this is just a further exchange of negative energy at this point, i.e., not fruitful.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:17 AM

91 posts, read 70,535 times
Several of your posts mention how "boring" it is in New Hampshire, and the lack of rental apartments. So... you move to a rural state and expect to find the excitement of Los Angeles or New York City? That simply isn't available in NH. And, sadly, there aren't a million apartments available either. Even Massachusetts lacks that. I know a lady in Cape Anne who has been looking for a good apartment for months and can't find one. Such is life in a growing area.

Psychos are everywhere. Male, female, in between. Sex offenders too. And, guess what? Drugs are a problem in every state and county too.

Good luck in Portland, OR. Hope it's more exciting for you. The winters are certainly more mild there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or