U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 02:01 AM

10 posts, read 4,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb2017 View Post
I have to disagree. You get out of NH what you put into it. Why should anyone welcome somebody who has nothing but a bad attitude and bad things to say? If you come here to embrace what NH is, you are welcomed with open arms.
In my experience, despite not being familiar with the place at all and coming from South Florida , I was initially welcomed here. But I had a federal job waiting for me, so a network was built from the start. I think surrounding yourself with good people is another key component to enjoying a move anywhere. I'm a strong introvert, but human connection is very important and I don't want to have problematic interactions with anyone.

I think the OP had the misfortune of being around people who didn't show NH in the best light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 07:21 AM

9,516 posts, read 11,352,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmic View Post
GA.....loving it!
Good luck........

Old 11-11-2018, 03:13 PM

62 posts, read 22,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
NH is great if you like astronomical property taxes, plus one of the highest costs of living in the nation (for example, we pay more for electricity than any state, I believe)--as well as a minimal number of sunny days and an endless winter full of cold, ice & snowstorms. It isn't a friendly place unless you've lived here for 20 generations; sometimes not even then. The population is skewed toward old folk, so forget finding any youngsters to help you out for a healthy fee (forget hiring anyone for anything other than uber-costly projects). There's also the benefit of the few restaurants clustered in Portsmouth or Manchester, where parking is hard to find.

Southern NH was taken over by Mass. politicians, who threw out fiscal responsibility long ago, and they are happily taxing anyone who isn't pulling in over $100,000 a year out of their homes - and that's pretty much everyone who's retired (unless you work for government, naturally, who still have great pensions).

I can't wait until I'm moved into my retirement property over 1,000 miles from NH, where I can live like Bill Gates for the cost of my property taxes here.
The window is just about closed for NH too, no lie.

The draw is gone and the only people that can move there are those who are rich, can wait for a good property to come open.

Leaving New England now in a month now tops.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteSlate View Post
And that attitude towards newcomers is the main reason why people don't want to stay here.
Agree.. TY. And the funny thing is, unless I am sharing a place with someone, you won't hear it out of peoples mouths very much what they really think about you.

Do I like NH more than any other New England state? Of course but since it fell victim to a housing availability crisis like the rest of NE and has gotten more expensive, the draw is gone. Its not even like I am totally trashing this place and people can still find attitude. Maybe these people are the same opportunists I criticized and they don't like what someone is saying who is onto them. Maybe that's a possibility huh?

Old 11-11-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteSlate View Post
In my experience, despite not being familiar with the place at all and coming from South Florida , I was initially welcomed here. But I had a federal job waiting for me, so a network was built from the start. I think surrounding yourself with good people is another key component to enjoying a move anywhere. I'm a strong introvert, but human connection is very important and I don't want to have problematic interactions with anyone.

I think the OP had the misfortune of being around people who didn't show NH in the best light.
You're partially correct on this. I did see the same types though that drew me to NH to begin with sure because I traveled, didn't always stay at home, moved to different parts out of necessity and having to but they're a dwindling bunch overall now. Some even came from MA and because they're in NH visiting, they're more relaxed. There are small town people who are nice but its too gdam cold in those places. Couldn't do it. Online a few people found me who are hiding out in the woods, talked to a few etc etc.

If I had limited myself to the home I lived in when I moved to NH, it would even be worse..I wouldn't have got out to see Manchester as many times as I did, Seabrook in the summer AND Keene after that for part of the fall. Complications got in the way with housing, my #1 problem. I prefer NH to Mass though for sure if not for this main problem I had and running into terrible opportunists, sex offenders or just mean nasty people. A few of these nasty people weren't original NH residents though, maybe for many years to where they're immersed in but one was from Maine, another was a drunk who lived in Berwick before moving to Seabrook, another was a weird mix of a Quebec/NH native. One was from R.I. who had a son but had a short fuse, easy to talk about others if they got him mad. So ya, most weren't through and through NH Natives. The ones who were, were rough around the edges but overall not bad, they drank just not terribly pass out drunk like the other guy in ME. One guys son called him "the guy who squirted into my mom". I was thinking gee that's not too good if you say that.. He had some tension with him deep down.

One of the nicest people I met, was a Hispanic guy I met one time in Nashua, talked to him online previously. Potential friends with benefits thing. I'm bi. Then another woman around 40 who had kids but lived in a tent, true NH native there actually, she was kind of like those people you'd find in WV in the backcountry. Like a dying breed of NH native. Real nice, and in her pictures the people real close to her also seemed like a dying breed in the state too. I came across someone however who was not very great, maybe a NH native but Pelham at any rate.. that might as well be Dracut to me. She was a clingy Christian type, talking as if I'd be an item with her when I didn't know what would happen. I meet her in person and lets just say it didn't turn out how I woulda thought. Maybe came from a nice family but you also have to get along with the person too or feel its a fit.

But yea I got a lot done in a year, met many people.. it just didn't translate to work opportunities to be able to stay or to help me get set up in a stable place to live.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:30 PM

101 posts, read 26,685 times
Your timing is perfect. Crime is getting worse, we have the highest unemployment rate in the country, education standards were lowered and now psycho neighbors are everywhere. Get out quick and don't look back. Bye sweetpea!

Old 11-12-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _jbub88_ View Post
Your timing is perfect. Crime is getting worse, we have the highest unemployment rate in the country, education standards were lowered and now psycho neighbors are everywhere. Get out quick and don't look back. Bye sweetpea!
For real, how true is any of this ? I didn't hear those reports unless something changed that I don't know about??

Old 11-12-2018, 08:52 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,097,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _jbub88_ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNewEngland View Post
For real, how true is any of this ? I didn't hear those reports unless something changed that I don't know about??
Some people just don't get sarcasm.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:40 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,250,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
Hi, I often chime in on these forums with facts and figures, to defray misleading antidotal personal stories. Just want to clarify some things, for those reading the above post.

- Even factoring in "astronomical property taxes," you still pay less state and local taxes in NH than 45 other states.

- New Hampshire is 16th highest for cost of living in the U.S. I guess some might consider that "one of the highest in the nation," though.

- New Hampshire has 198 sunny days per year, while the national average is 205 sunny days per year. I guess some might consider this "minimal number of sunny days," though.

- NH has four seasons, not "an endless winter full of snow and ice." Granted, NH does get snow four months a year though, which provides opportunities for super outdoor fun.

- NH is one of the friendliest places in the U.S. I've lived in four other states, and driven through 40+ states multiple times, and find the people of NH awesome.

- NH has restaurants all over the state, not just in Manchester and Portsmouth, and parking in NH is a breeze and "traffic" is laughable.

Grass is always greener. I chose NH over the other 50 states. Hope you find what you are looking for!

Winter time
I found it; it's a 26 hour drive from NH and hopefully I won't be coming back soon. You sound like a youngster who moved here and is still in the honeymoon stage. I've lived in 8 other states, and only RI is worse (for reasons not touched upon here). Coming back to NH to take care of my elderly Dad cost me a fortune and cost me about 20 years of savings, with no corresponding benefit whatsoever.

If you think paying $8,000 a year on a 1300 square foot house on less than 1/2 an acre is an affordable tax burden, you may have not considered the elderly on fixed incomes who are being taxed out of their paid-for homes. My Dad, from retirement to his death at age 87, had to rent out his garage for the 8-week summer just to pay the taxes, which otherwise would have consumed 80+ percent of his Social Security benefits (at least he didn't pay the huge SS taxes that we did for our entire working careers, and he actually got something back from the greatest Ponzi Scam in human history). NO TAX BREAKS HERE for those who lived here all their lives and struggled to make ends meet thanks to the cost of living--OUR MASS-BORN POLITICIANS WANT RICH MASS. FOLKS TO ROB BLIND!

And the generalization "you still pay less in state and local taxes in NH" may be true for SOME people with extremely tiny & run-down houses and no land, but astronomical incomes, who spend every penny they make buying "stuff", but that does NOT apply to most people I know. Same for "cost of living" -- I guess you could keep your house at 55 degrees all winter, and 95 all summer, and don't use your electric stove or dryer or...etc.

As for sunny days, you're a great example of using statistics to mislead. First of all, living in NH gives you about 1 hour less of sunlight every single day than if you lived in FL--and EVERYBODY in New England is deficient in Vitamin D (the one you need sunlight to make). What you quoted is technically true, but look at the list of states in order of amount of sunshine (https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...e-sunshine.php) and you'll see that only 5 states have less sunshine than NH. Statistics can make you think anything, depending on what you're looking at--a ranking based on the number of days when the sun appears for at least 1 second, versus percentage of time the sun cannot be seen during the day, would yield very different results.

You think winter is great outdoor fun here? If you can afford lift tickets to go skiing, the nearest place is about 3 hours north--and the roads will be icy, and the lines will be VERY, VERY LONG. As an adult I just can't find any fun in freezing my extremities off while scraping my car of snow/ice, & hoping someone doesn't slide into me or my loved ones as I go to/from work (let alone older loved ones breaking their hips and knees on ice, sometimes with fatal results). My college roommate lost BOTH her parents on her way back to UNH after winter break, and nearly died herself (her bright future definitely died) when a dump truck lost control and pulverized their smaller "fuel efficient" car.

As for length of endless winter, I can't START cleaning the guest apartment/garage (that I have to rent out to afford my property taxes) until mid-May, because you can't turn on the water in these older structures until the hard freezes end (around Memorial Day). And BTW, our summer "season" is only 8 WEEKS long--try and offset your property taxes with 8 weeks of rent, while being stuck cleaning the place every Saturday in the only possibly nice weather we have (since, to add to the joy, you can't hire ANYONE do to ANYTHING for ANY amount of money here).

Friendliest place? Really? My parents lived & went to Church here for 55 years, and the only people they knew were their direct neighbors. Sure, they'll wave. But you have to be family here, to be treated with respect and enthusiasm like I am whenever I leave here to vacation virtually anywhere else.

Restaurants all over the state? There's a Margarita's in Exeter, but not much else--not even fast food--the taxes ran them all out (legend says there used to be a Kentucky Friend Chicken, decades ago). Some restaurants open, but they close within a year (can't get help, and taxes & expenses wipe out any profit). Hampton has Lamie's (very expensive) & what used to be Widow Fletcher's Tavern (either a new place now, or closed). Hampton Beach has the Ashworth (again, expensive), with only valet parking; not sure if they close for the winter or just restrict their hours.

Some people can be happy anywhere. I'm too haunted by remembering what it was like living in other states.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:21 AM

4,887 posts, read 4,975,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNewEngland View Post

Do I like NH more than any other New England state? Of course but since it fell victim to a housing availability crisis like the rest of NE and has gotten more expensive, the draw is gone.
Zoning.

Planning Boards and Zoning Boards.

Viewed most of the small towns - in the 1980's or thereabouts - adopt zoning. And each year the do gooders place MORE zoning restrictions to make it harder for new comers to build a home. There are many that don't want "poor" people moving into town. With children. The school costs rise. Poor people in this context can be anyone with an average job. Not the welfare folks that most associate with poor. The welfare folks are used as scare tactics - so that more zoning rules can be passed.

The population of New Hampshire is aging. In my town the school enrollment keeps going down. Folks with families just can't afford to move into town. High housing prices and lack of new housing. Except, of course, retirees from other states who have the funds.

In my town the minimum land required is one acre. Then the folks decided the make this even more harsh and stated that the one acre has to be a buildable acre. So if a seasonal brook ran through the property - that area had to be subtracted from the one acre minimum - in effect making the one acre minimum larger then one acre. I have personally viewed a lot of land where there was a dip in the ground about half the size of a small car - that held water for a few weeks in the Spring. That dip was labeled wetlands - even though there was zero plant life in dip and dip disappeared in the Summer.

These zoning boards hate subdivisions. For two or more lots - they demand a holding tank and a hydrant. A large water holding tank. A costly holding tank. We had one family that purchased land on the side of a large hill -with a view - and he had to place a dry hydrant on the dirt road. Then had to obtain easement right from multiple property owners so that a water line can be placed underground to the lake below. And this dry hydrant can be used by the town for any purpose for any other homes in the area. This one new owner had to pay for all.

Then there are the towns that banned mobile (manufactured) home parks. So even folks that can afford a $100,000 single wide can't move into town. The working poor.

Oh . . . the people do state that they want and need "affordable housing" - yet these same folks demand stricter and stricter zoning rules.

Yes, there are some towns with no zoning. But few and far between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or