Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 06:16 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,255 times

Advertisements

Thank you nicole - We enjoy it - one thing about it - no "family issues/ pressures" to deal with on those days

On another note, talking about towns and Bethlehem in particular - we went to their Concert in the Park last night. The weather was cold and damp but there were quite a few people there, many with their kids. There was one little guy who was maybe 3 years old, who just kept dancing, running around in circles and giggling, another little one who was maybe 2 who kept trying to get into the gazebo where the band was - kids all over the place, dancing giggling and having a blast. It was nice to have the "small town" atmosphere where you didn't have to stay "vigilant" all the time, wondering who was there who might snatch the kids - don't get me wrong - the parents were right there, but it they were enjoying the music and the kids and not looking over their shoulders constantly. It was a nice evening in a small town

I see the same thing here in Littleton during their concerts in the park - people of all ages, a nice "family evening" that's free. One of our granddaughters will be spending this coming weekend with us. We're going to fix a picnic dinner and take her to the concert here in town Friday night, hopefully the weather will cooperate!

Another thing about the small towns up here, that we're discovering, is that the "music scene" is really quite active with quite a few really talented people. It's not something we expected to find. Last night, hubby was invited to go up and do a song with the band, which pleased him immensely

Now, he's in the process of putting together his own band again....thank goodness we have the finished basement for his music

Another thing about "small town living" - he was out on the front porch the other day, just playing around with his guitar and one of our neighbors who plays, came over and the two of them were on the porch, strumming and singing together - really nice.......

Okay I rambled....forgive me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 05:25 PM

141 posts, read 282,543 times
Default Littleton & Bethlehem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Thank you nicole - We enjoy it - one thing about it - no "family issues/ pressures" to deal with on those days

On another note, talking about towns and Bethlehem in particular - we went to their Concert in the Park last night. The weather was cold and damp but there were quite a few people there, many with their kids. There was one little guy who was maybe 3 years old, who just kept dancing, running around in circles and giggling, another little one who was maybe 2 who kept trying to get into the gazebo where the band was - kids all over the place, dancing giggling and having a blast. It was nice to have the "small town" atmosphere where you didn't have to stay "vigilant" all the time, wondering who was there who might snatch the kids - don't get me wrong - the parents were right there, but it they were enjoying the music and the kids and not looking over their shoulders constantly. It was a nice evening in a small town

I see the same thing here in Littleton during their concerts in the park - people of all ages, a nice "family evening" that's free. One of our granddaughters will be spending this coming weekend with us. We're going to fix a picnic dinner and take her to the concert here in town Friday night, hopefully the weather will cooperate!

Another thing about the small towns up here, that we're discovering, is that the "music scene" is really quite active with quite a few really talented people. It's not something we expected to find. Last night, hubby was invited to go up and do a song with the band, which pleased him immensely

Now, he's in the process of putting together his own band again....thank goodness we have the finished basement for his music

Another thing about "small town living" - he was out on the front porch the other day, just playing around with his guitar and one of our neighbors who plays, came over and the two of them were on the porch, strumming and singing together - really nice.......

Okay I rambled....forgive me
I loved your post Datetodream!!!!

So littleton and Bethlehem are like neighbor communities? Sorry for my ignorance and laziness to look at the map but I will.

your Christmas and other holiday celebrations sound very nice and warm!

Would you say that Bethlehem and Littleton are still old fashioined and safe?

Thanks!

Old 08-11-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbarcreek View Post
I loved your post Datetodream!!!!

So littleton and Bethlehem are like neighbor communities? Sorry for my ignorance and laziness to look at the map but I will.

your Christmas and other holiday celebrations sound very nice and warm!

Would you say that Bethlehem and Littleton are still old fashioined and safe?

Thanks!
Hi Sandbar - Yes, Littleton and Bethlehem are neighboring communities - I think it took us 10 minutes to get to the park last night.

I think Bethlehem and Littleton are both old fashioned as well as somewhat progressive - Both towns seem to retain "old fashioned values" but also realize that they have to be "open" to new businesses, new people, etc. in order to survive, at least IMO.

I feel very safe in both towns. Of course, every town has their problems and Littleton and Bethlehem do as well, but it's nothing major, at least to me - We moved from NYS, so the crime here is, at least by comparison, very minor. There are people here who still don't lock their doors at night....but we do

Old 08-13-2008, 06:47 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,636 times
Default % of Long Time Residents Bethlehem and Littleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Hi Sandbar - Yes, Littleton and Bethlehem are neighboring communities - I think it took us 10 minutes to get to the park last night.

I think Bethlehem and Littleton are both old fashioned as well as somewhat progressive - Both towns seem to retain "old fashioned values" but also realize that they have to be "open" to new businesses, new people, etc. in order to survive, at least IMO.

I feel very safe in both towns. Of course, every town has their problems and Littleton and Bethlehem do as well, but it's nothing major, at least to me - We moved from NYS, so the crime here is, at least by comparison, very minor. There are people here who still don't lock their doors at night....but we do
Hi Dare!

Great info! It truly appears that you have a pristine and close to angelic lifestyle up there! Was wondering about a few things; Are the two towns mostly consisted of long time residents? What percentage? How is the road plowing during the winter? Do kids get lots of snow days? And finally do you like the school systems?

Old 08-13-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Hi Dare!

Great info! It truly appears that you have a pristine and close to angelic lifestyle up there! Was wondering about a few things; Are the two towns mostly consisted of long time residents? What percentage? How is the road plowing during the winter? Do kids get lots of snow days? And finally do you like the school systems?

Hi Comet - For us, it is a pristine and close to angelic lifestyle compared to where we were I don't know for sure, but I would say probably 80% of at least Littleton consists of long-time residents. Since we moved here, I think the population increased by about 500 people, the last census I saw had Littleton with 6000 +/- residents. I don't know as much about Bethlehem, but from what other have told us, the majority is long-time residents. That will probably chance to at least more seasonal residents as Bethlehem has a condo complex going in. I *think* long-term plans also have either a residential development or condo complex going in somewhere here in Littleton, but I'm not sure - I think it's going to depend on how well the economy does.

Snow has not been a problem for us to get around either of the past 2 winters up here - heck, we moved into our house in the middle of a blizzard! We live at the top of a hill and my husband made it with no problem with a rental truck and my Tracer made it up fine, as well. His car does not have snow tires, but was able to get to the house with the car without problem as well (my car has snows). My husband works in Jefferson and never missed a day of work due to snow, nor was he late - if it snows, he takes my car with the snow tires on it.

Snow days and schools I really can't comment on, as we do not have children in the school system (ours are all grown). I want to say I heard school cancelled maybe 5 or 6 times last winter with all our snow, but I'm not positive - I think there were more delays than cancellations. I have watched various school-related programs on the local access station and I must say I have been impressed by how well-spoken the kids are and I do enjoy their music concerts that are broadcast as well. The graduation ceremony was on that station and it seemed to me that the kids had a good rapport with the teachers and the graduates who spoke were fantastic.

There is a poster who is on here occasionally, who lives in Littleton and I believe they have a child in the school system - "roerinaci" I think is the screen name. I think the last time they posted, they said they were pleased with the school system and I believe they relocated from Long Island.

Hope this helps a little

Old 08-13-2008, 11:49 AM

Default Stewartstown, Bethlehem and Littleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I love Stewartstown-we drive through whenever we go to Pittsburg. I love that sign you posted-that once you pass that sign you are closer to the North Pole than you are to the Equator. We have been by that sign many many times but always love reading it when we pass by. It is neat
I like the profiles of all three of these communities, Stewartstown, Bethlehem and Littleton. AAre there any similer small towns like this in Southern New Hampshire that gives a feeling of Small Town Old Fashioned America?

Thanks Guys! I really love this post!

Old 08-13-2008, 10:12 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,636 times
Default Littleton, Bethlehem, Wolfeboro and then there is Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbarcreek View Post
I like the profiles of all three of these communities, Stewartstown, Bethlehem and Littleton. AAre there any similer small towns like this in Southern New Hampshire that gives a feeling of Small Town Old Fashioned America?

Thanks Guys! I really love this post!
Well maybe Derry? It all depends on what you are looking for, as I know Littleton, Bethlehem, Wolfeboro and then there is Troy!!! The nice thing about the state is the fact there are so many small towns each having their own personality. Asta, DaretoDream, Valerie C, Nicolem, Boo and so many others on this board certainly have first hand accounts about all of these communities.

By the way Sandbarcreek, welcome to the NH Board! It is nice to see you here!

Comet

Old 08-14-2008, 06:34 AM

452 posts, read 1,733,962 times
Welcome Sandbarcreek,

There are many small towns in Southern NH that may fit your bill. You'll need to get off the beaten path some to find what you may be looking for though. That means away from the cities and highways. Then again, it depends on what you consider a "small town".

Val?????

Old 08-14-2008, 06:21 PM

Smile I appreciate everyones help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthibodeau View Post
Welcome Sandbarcreek,

There are many small towns in Southern NH that may fit your bill. You'll need to get off the beaten path some to find what you may be looking for though. That means away from the cities and highways. Then again, it depends on what you consider a "small town".

Val?????
You all so very nice and helpful with the information you have given me! Thank you all so much! We are actually moving from Sandpoint, Idaho and it is very nice here but my husband is from the east coast and was offered a jobin Boston but he said lets find a nice small town in New Hampshire and we could just rent an apartmentin Boston because we each understand the tax consequences of living in Mass.

But we hope to get a feel for small town USA in New Hampshire and this post is exactly what we needed so thank you all so much and especially Mr Cometfor begininning the post.

One more question though! We did travel a lot through Vermont and notices many or almost all of the small towns had a significant old time hippee presence. Is that the case for New Hampshire? We are not hippees and want to avoid a inference to the drug culture which I have found can be a subtle nod from the way a community is structured.

Live and let live but we really want to live away from the 60's hippee thing.

thanks again

Old 08-14-2008, 06:32 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
well, yes.. much of VT has become very liberal in a lot of attitudes. Northeast Kingdom is more of what I've always considered 'old VT' and it is much more conservative.

No, NH isn't that much like VT in those repsects. Now I'm not saying there is (or is not - I really don't know) any drug culture in VT, but NH is much more classic old fashioned. there are some towns that are a bit more 'hippie-ish' - we've referred to them as 'crunchy granola types' in friendly gest - you'll find 'crunchy' towns in the more artistic areas like Peterborough (still lovely, but I found a lot more bean sprouts on menus there than other towns ) and maybe Hanover, possibly Cornish? But don't worry, there are plenty of towns that are probably like what your looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire