Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2008, 09:04 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Yep - The Parker Hill Road Band was there from about 2 to 4 in the afternoon.
Hubby plays with 2 of the members at the bluegrass jams on Friday nights and last week, they were in Bethlehem for their "concert in the park" and invited hubby up to sing with them (he didn't have his guitar with him)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 12:31 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,538,069 times
What beautiful pictures comet and wannacomehome!!!! Thank you so much for sharing them with us!!!!
twiggy...I have no idea where I am going to end up yet, but once I know you all will know also.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:40 PM

120 posts, read 785,842 times
Cool Hey y'all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
LACarole - At one of the "Rock & Roll jams" up here, we met a gal with a distinct accent - come to find out she was from Louisiana! She's lived up here (Littleton/Grafton County) for 4 years and loves it - she especially loves the snow, which I found amazing - I would have thought it would have been hard for her to get used to the snow and the cold, but she said she was in 7th Heaven during the winter and loves the snow and cold
I'm sure that I will also be 'found out' by my accent, too, but being here amongst it, I forget that I have one! I think for me, the thing I will love the most is the snow! I was an oil company brat most of my life and we moved every 2 years, so I've been lucky enough to see lots of states in my life, and the thing I remember the most is how good the air smells when it's cold! Isn't it funny how as we get 'more mature' that we long for the seemingly simplest things in life - the smell of cold air, the beauty of an untouched forest or stream, the sound of a waterfall, etc. I am kind of a big girl and the humidity and heat combination in LA is hard for me, because as soon as I hit the outdoors, I'm soaked with sweat and can barely breathe, so I am really looking forward to spending some time in the great north woods just walking and looking and listening.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACarole View Post
I'm sure that I will also be 'found out' by my accent, too, but being here amongst it, I forget that I have one! I think for me, the thing I will love the most is the snow! I was an oil company brat most of my life and we moved every 2 years, so I've been lucky enough to see lots of states in my life, and the thing I remember the most is how good the air smells when it's cold! Isn't it funny how as we get 'more mature' that we long for the seemingly simplest things in life - the smell of cold air, the beauty of an untouched forest or stream, the sound of a waterfall, etc. I am kind of a big girl and the humidity and heat combination in LA is hard for me, because as soon as I hit the outdoors, I'm soaked with sweat and can barely breathe, so I am really looking forward to spending some time in the great north woods just walking and looking and listening.
We're originally from the Mid-Hudson region of NYS, aka "sinus problem valley" While I'm sure it didn't get as hot and humid as LA, from spring to late fall, I had sinus headaches and sinus infections every year - the mold spores were unreal - even now, when we visit, I can tell without even looking that we're getting close to our destination - I start to fill up and have a headache the whole time we're there! The a/c was usually running from May thru October.

Up here, we haven't even put our a/c in this year, the 2 past summers we used it 2 or 3 times and that was it.

Being able to sit and listen to nature and observe it is a wonderful experience...I'm sure you'll fit right in here in NH

Old 08-18-2008, 06:38 PM

Dare, I know what you mean about the sinuses - I actually take sinus / allergy meds every night as part of my routine. My ENT says I have the biggest sinuses she's ever seen and (lucky me) 2 of my back teeth on both sides actually have roots that extend into my sinuses, so when it gets really muggy, my teeth get loose as well! I know NH isn't perfect, no where is, but I do look forward to a lower level of humidity for sure! We actually have run our a/c since about the middle of March this year - summer started a wee bit early for us! What do you mean when you say you haven't put in your a/c? I hope I do fit in in NH - isn't that what everyone really wants? To be part of a community of people who you find something in common with, who like you just the way you are? I know I do. I'm definitely going to do lots of research, though, b/c I just read a thread from somebody who is very unhappy and I definitely don't want that to be us! I have made it perfectly clear to my hubby that this will be my last move - at least while I'm alive - I HATE the process of packing everything up! I've done it almost every 2 years for most of my life and I'd rather eat dirt!

Old 08-18-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACarole View Post
Dare, I know what you mean about the sinuses - I actually take sinus / allergy meds every night as part of my routine. My ENT says I have the biggest sinuses she's ever seen and (lucky me) 2 of my back teeth on both sides actually have roots that extend into my sinuses, so when it gets really muggy, my teeth get loose as well! I know NH isn't perfect, no where is, but I do look forward to a lower level of humidity for sure! We actually have run our a/c since about the middle of March this year - summer started a wee bit early for us! What do you mean when you say you haven't put in your a/c? I hope I do fit in in NH - isn't that what everyone really wants? To be part of a community of people who you find something in common with, who like you just the way you are? I know I do. I'm definitely going to do lots of research, though, b/c I just read a thread from somebody who is very unhappy and I definitely don't want that to be us! I have made it perfectly clear to my hubby that this will be my last move - at least while I'm alive - I HATE the process of packing everything up! I've done it almost every 2 years for most of my life and I'd rather eat dirt!

Hi Carole - We don't have central air up here - we have window units that we would put in if we needed them - that's what I meant about not putting in the a/c We have ceiling fans in the living room and bedrooms and a window fan in our bedroom, which have kept us quite comfortable when it did get hot.

I would strongly suggest that you rent when you first move to NH, even though it will mean packing/unpacking at least 1 more time. We rented when we first moved here to make sure we liked the area, then we bought our home when we were sure.

I believe that you "get back" what you "put out" - If you're friendly and a positive person, that's what you'll get back and you won't experience much, if any negativity from people. (If that sounds Pollyanna-ish, forgive me, the author of Pollyanna was born here in Littleton and it must have rubbed off).

The only thing I would advise when getting to know people is to be yourself, be friendly and let people get to know you and don't try to "force" friendships, etc. We found that by being ourselves, being friendly, etc., we were accepted and people would approach us after awhile - it took a little time, but that was fine. Once the "locals" saw we were consistent in our behavior and had no plan to change this area to the one we came from, we were accepted - it just took awhile

Old 08-18-2008, 07:09 PM

Good advice, Dare! We actually will probably rent for a year when we move, I just don't want to do another cross country move! I've moved from LA to CA to LA before and it's not a lot of fun! I am so excited not to have to have central a/c!!! How cool (pun intended) is that????

Old 08-18-2008, 07:48 PM

311 posts, read 995,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
the author of Pollyanna was born here in Littleton and it must have rubbed off).
I didn't know that! Gosh, I learn something every day.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:39 AM

Yep, she was born here - we have a Pollyanna statue with her arms flung wide in front of the library and a "Pollyanna Be Glad Day" in June During this rainy period, the local access channel had a shot of the statue with a caption that read something to the effect that Pollyanna says rain is just liquid sunshine or something

Old 08-21-2008, 12:25 AM

141 posts, read 282,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
\\Thank you seamusnh!! Yes Mont Vernon is a very attractive small town and IMHO does fit the quaint Norman Rockwell Small Town America!

I think this town is in the top 95 percentile of a best possible town for a retro Diner!

Here are some pics I found online below!
I was curious if Mont Vernon is a safe area, say safe enough to leave your doors unlocked?

Would like a place like that? Any suggestions if Mont Vernon fits that mold. Also are there any mini ranch set ups?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire