Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 09:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,380 times

Advertisements

I am a senior citizen that has lived in NH my entire life. I was raised in a rural town just outside of Nashua. In my 30s I decided the Nashua area was getting over crowded and I moved to the central part of the state northwest of Concord.

I have seen a lot of changes over the years and most I would say are not for the better and the reason for that is the influx of out of state people, mostly from Massachusetts. They started moving here in droves in the 70s onward because of the overall low taxes. Once they moved here however they found they wanted the same services and benefits they had left behind so the taxes had to be raised to provide them.

I can also remember when the state was a Republican state with likes of Styles Bridges and Norris Cotton for senators and James Cleveland as a representative. Now with the influx it is considered a Democratic state on the federal level because the rural areas do not have the population to compete with the added new population in the southern part of the state that is predominately from Democratic Mass.

We currently have no state income tax and no sales tax, but I am not sure how long that will last. The story will be that such taxes will reduce your property tax and all the new people are apt buy into it since it is what they are familiar with. And it just might work for a year or two, but after they honeymoon, the state government will have their collective hands in both pockets instead of one pocket and the overall tax burden will sky rocket to provide more and more services.

Eventually there is a chance that even our 2nd amendment rights will erode as they have to the south and if that happens as well, we might as well be called North Massachusetts.

The bottom line is that if you are thinking of moving to NH, I hope it is to enjoy all the state has to offer. And if you do move here, I hope that you not try to change our state so that it matches what you left behind. Perhaps it is just as well I am a senior citizen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 06:22 AM

2 posts, read 4,380 times
Sorry for the "Your" rather than "You're". A lesson learned about proofing the subject line as well as the body.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:33 AM

500 posts, read 631,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk232 View Post
The bottom line is that if you are thinking of moving to NH, I hope it is to enjoy all the state has to offer. And if you do move here, I hope that you not try to change our state so that it matches what you left behind.
Yes please.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:56 AM

376 posts, read 392,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk232 View Post
The bottom line is that if you are thinking of moving to NH, I hope it is to enjoy all the state has to offer. And if you do move here, I hope that you not try to change our state so that it matches what you left behind. Perhaps it is just as well I am a senior citizen.

Enjoying all the state has to offer with no intentions of changing anything about the area are the reasons we are moving to Sandwich. We have experienced first hand what you have described, implement a new tax base to lower another and ten years later all the various taxes are through the roof. I certainly hope people wake up and that doesn't happen in NH.

Thanks for your post.

Lou

Old 11-10-2018, 10:30 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,268,579 times
So, in other words, don't move to NH unless you are prepared to vote Republican? Got it.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:35 AM

15,843 posts, read 6,910,812 times
NH is not fully committed to be Republican, that is its appeal. That is one reason people move there from MA in spite of the lack of services that they are used to.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:58 AM

500 posts, read 631,894 times
I don't support either party, so I didn't take the spirit of the post as partisan politics.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:07 AM

4,564 posts, read 5,628,809 times
Exclamation “When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.” -- Ben Franklin

One of the factors people ignore is how moving from hyper-local taxation (through town-assessed property taxes) to a "broad-based" tax collected by the state would work to shift power from the towns to Concord, and thus also shift control over tax levels from your immediate neighbors to the residents of the largest and most political towns in the state.

What happens to the "New Hampshire advantage" the day after sales & income taxes go in, when Manchesterites realize they can vote themselves free money at the expense of the rest of the tax base?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
So, in other words, don't move to NH unless you are prepared to vote Republican? Got it.
Only because so few Democrats are willing to take the pledge.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:29 PM

104 posts, read 137,863 times
"So, in other words, don't move to NH unless you are prepared to vote Republican? Got it."

Correct. Give up your right to vote and conservatives will be happy with you. They do so bitterly hate democracy and voting. The 1% deserves all the money and power in the world because they're so great. Oligarchy forever! No?

Styles Bridges, geez, what a character he was. Just another McCarthyite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styles_Bridges

Old 11-10-2018, 12:34 PM

146 posts, read 113,283 times
The same thing is happening to Vermont. States like NY, MA, CT, NJ, etc are becoming so expensive and oppressive that people are packing up and moving to Vermont for a better quality of life. What do they do? Vote for candidates that support the same policies that made their former states so miserable to live in and then talk down to the locals that don't agree with them. Liberalism really is a mental disorder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire