U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 05:57 PM

4 posts, read 957 times

Advertisements

while I appreciate everyone's advice & input very much, I was just looking for a private place to camp out of everyones way whether it be state or federally owned, just somewhere I could be in solitude for a month or 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 06:10 PM
KCZ

1,596 posts, read 802,185 times
This map has Mass campgrounds. Maybe one of them would work for you?

https://www.campmass.com/directories.html

Old 11-11-2018, 08:17 PM

18,267 posts, read 17,416,409 times
There are a lot of other MA campgrounds but I don't know if anything's open in winter. There are campgrounds in Salisbury MA which I checked but they all close for the winter. Neighboring Amesbury MA has good women's services if you want to go that route.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:34 PM
miu

16,588 posts, read 33,625,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smn8224 View Post
while I appreciate everyone's advice & input very much, I was just looking for a private place to camp out of everyones way whether it be state or federally owned, just somewhere I could be in solitude for a month or 2
Sorry to hear about your situation. However...

What you are looking for just doesn't officially exist. And the authorities and even just regular people don't want to encourage/enable/support homeless people living in tents on public lands in any season. It's that we're not sympathetic, but look at all the problems that the cities in the warmer parts of the US have with having hundreds of homeless people living under bridges and even just along sidewalks.

And wintertime is definitely NOT a good time to camp out in a tent in NH. What are you going to do for warmth? Build a fire? And what if you start a wildfire? Or are you going to sleep inside your car with the engine running all night?

And this is a public message board. Others in your situation could read this thread and think that it's fine for anyone to find a secluded spot to pitch a tent to live in. So no, the people of NH don't want random homeless people living in tents and basically squatting in secret... no matter what the reason is that they are homeless.

I have read a couple of recent ads on craigslist of people looking for a place to park their car, have access to electricity for a heater, and live out of their car. They are reaching out to property owners in order have their permission to do so. And they are offering to pay for electricity and some compensation for having this parking space.

Anyway, the best advice in this thread is for you to contact those various help agencies and groups to see if they can find you a space in a women's shelter. Or reach out to a family member or friend to find a couch to crash on, even if you have to go out of state to do so.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:36 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,032,451 times
Quote:
What you should take from all of these responses is that people care and worry about your health and safety if you try to do this. Living rough is generally a very bad choice, often one with significant, long term repercussions.

With the temps we are dealing with right now, I'd urge you to reach out to all the care organizations and every friend or relative who could possibly put you up for a few weeks. Being purposely homeless should be the absolutely very last choice you make right now.

Good luck.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:00 AM
miu

16,588 posts, read 33,625,176 times
Quote:
Can anyone tell me where in Southern NH/MA border I could camp out for a month or 2? I recently fell on hard times, I'm not a drug user, alcoholic, nor do I have a mental illness, I just suddenly ran from an abusive relationship. I have a car, a tent & a job I just need somewhere secluded & private I can stay for a month or 2 so I can save up & get a new place. I won't stay in a shelter or anything like that I dont feel there safe & some of the people are well... Not like me. Every place I've tried I've been harassed by the police & I've not made any noise, no fires, no trash, no nothing, its been difficult as I need my car to be with me so I can get back&forth to work. Sadly the neighbors on Friars Dr felt they needed to go out of their way to report my car for being parked behind an abandoned building out of sight & proceeded to follow & stalk me into the public woods to report my tent which was completely hidden so if someone could please help me!!!
If you had to run away from an abusive relationship, rather than stay and turn around the situation, then perhaps you shouldn't be hiding in the woods, perhaps trying to avoid further contact with him. And even if you are able to avoid all human contact at night, if you have any food with you in your tent or car, you could attention the attention of a hungry bear.

I would also like to recommend that you look for a class to take on self-defense. It really sounds like you should be staying at a womens shelter.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:28 AM

5,292 posts, read 1,541,202 times
go to florida

Old Today, 05:40 AM

323 posts, read 1,513,698 times
I am in an RV currently down in Georgia but I have cruised through Craigslist and put in RV and sometimes people who own private land are willing to rent out a spot. Perhaps if you go on Craigslist and place an AD for someone with private land that can allow you to camp out for a month or two something will manifest itself for you.

Old Today, 07:55 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,804,580 times
Wink The landowner might be safer if they had plausible deniability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by energygrrl View Post
someone with private land that can allow you to camp out for a month or two something will manifest itself for you.
I wonder what the liability and zoning issues are with allowing somebody to camp out on your land for a month or two?

After 30 days do you become a landlord and have to go through eviction to kick them off your property?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or