U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 09:36 AM

46 posts, read 81,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by satori View Post

-rock climbing (a non-negotiable for my husband)
Rumney is world famous for sport climbing.

I would point you towards Plymouth or the Upper Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 02:37 PM

19 posts, read 28,274 times
Wow thanks all for so many suggestions! Iíll do some more research into these areas.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:30 PM

1,858 posts, read 1,108,048 times
Quote:
Less congestion: Not in Hanover with an Ivy League university in the center of town and a street full of boutiques. But definitely less congestion in the surrounding towns. Although convenient, I wouldn't recommend Lebanon, it's a giant box store. Lyme is a very nice town and the Dartmouth Ski Bowl is in the town. Orford is very quaint and rural.
House under $400K: Hard to do in Hanover (closer to $1M), but you can find it especially if you're willing to do some work DIY. Lyme and Orford, definitely.
Good Schools: Hanover has the top rated school district in the state (they switch places with Bedford and Hollis interminably) and their high school is one of the top three public high schools. https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes...new-hampshire/. Lyme and Orford have good primary school systems and for secondary schools, if you live in Lyme the town sends your kid to Hanover High school (SAU 70) which has arrangements with Dartmouth and your kid can lave high school with multiple college credits.
Job opportunities: The Hanover-Lebanon area has the largest employer in the state, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, internationally renowned. Larger employers also feature Dartmouth University and Hypertherm, a global leader in precision metallurgy.
Liberal Leanings: You can't go wrong in the Hanover/Upper Valley area. On the private industry side, for example, both Hypertherm and nearby King Arthur Flour in Norwich VT, across the river from Dartmouth, are 100% employee owned. Both companies have committed policies on corporate social responsibility. Voting wise, the Upper Valley is one of the reasons why New Hampshire is a purple state.
I have to disagree with Louiggi on a few things.

Hanover does not have a street full boutiques -- at least not in the way the rest of the country defines boutiques. It does have a street full of locally owned stores and restaurants, along with J Crew and Talbots. Dartmouth has an art museum and a very busy theater (shows and concerts of all kinds). The traffic people complain about in Hanover is a joke to anyone from any metro area in the US. Oh, I might have to wait at one of the 3 traffic lights for 2 cycles IF I am out between 4 and 4:30 pm on a weekday. A bigger annoyance (to me) is the college kids crossing the street anywhere without looking for cars.

Lebanon is not a giant box store. The box stores are in West Lebanon, and all are clustered along a one mile stretch of Rt 12A. There are lots of nice neighborhoods in Lebanon and West Leb. And you will need the stores. There are several grocery stores plus PetSmart, Home Goods, Kohls, TJ Maxx, Staples, Pier One, Best Buy and Home Depot. Walmart if you are so inclined.

Also, this cluster of towns known as the Upper Valley has activities for kids. How many elementary schools do you know that get off early once a week so the kids can go skiing in the afternoon? There is an aquatic center across the river in VT, and another indoor pool and exercise complex in Lebanon.

If you choose a smaller town, you might have a post office, general store, gas station and small library. Some towns don't even have that.

I have been living here in the Upper Valley for 4 years. Came from the Washington DC suburbs in MD. It is very pleasant living here, although I do miss Macys.

You really need to come visit... in the winter. It is very different here than in the rest of the country.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:45 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,175,270 times
Many good suggestions but the Dartmouth region,like Maine is a little far north.I would suggest NH's lakes region.
Good schools,shopping and health care.You are less than 1 hour from everything that you desire from the center of the state.Beautiful clean lakes and rivers.It is at the foothills of the White Mountains and less than 30 minutes from great rock climbing yet only an hour from the sea coast.We have skied nearly every mountain in NH over the years and love it.
Our friends that have skied western powder tell us that NH skiing is a little more technical but still great fun.
Look into Meredith,Moultonborough and Center Harbor.All good schools,moderate taxes,little crime and houses available in your price range.
We are republicans (horrors) but with many liberal friends.....we rib each other gently but all get along..Politics is really a non issue in central NH when it comes to personal relationships.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:07 AM

493 posts, read 321,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
We are republicans (horrors) but with many liberal friends.....we rib each other gently but all get along..Politics is really a non issue in central NH when it comes to personal relationships.
I agree and have stated this on these forums. National media paints the U.S. as 50% of people at the throats of the other 50% of people. If that is happening in NH, I'm not seeing it.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:35 AM

Location: Currently in CT but have recently started construction for our retirement home in NH
269 posts, read 208,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
I agree and have stated this on these forums. National media paints the U.S. as 50% of people at the throats of the other 50% of people. If that is happening in NH, I'm not seeing it.

Thankfully I don't see in in our daily lives, but the news networks and social media can't seem to get by without it.

Last edited by sailor_lou; 11-28-2018 at 10:47 AM..

Old 11-28-2018, 06:24 PM

4 posts, read 966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Many good suggestions but the Dartmouth region,like Maine is a little far north.I would suggest NH's lakes region.
You might want to check your map on that one. The Upper Valley, the Lakes Region, and Portland are all at a very similar latitude. York is certainly not north of Center Harbor.

Having lived in Leb for a few years, I find Ansible's assessment to be much more accurate than Louiggi's.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:40 PM

6 posts, read 5,734 times
I just came across this post and we also have been thinking of moving to New England from the Front Range of Colorado to be closer to family, smaller town living, more affordable, driving distance to the ocean, etc. Also, no 1-70 ski traffic and trailheads that aren't packed full by 8am. I was born in Colorado but all my extended family is in New England and it is a hard choice to make. But with the cost of living in Colorado as it is now and traffic getting worse by the month (literally), I am tempted to make the move. I have 2 small kids so its a big choice to make, especially knowing where we are now is a great neighborhood and has great schools. One thing I love about New England, that we don't have here in Colorado, are the many small towns everywhere. Any small town in Colorado is trendy and very unaffordable (essentially upper class now), especially walking distance to anything. That is part of what makes it hard to choose a place to move to, there are so many options in NH, VT and ME. I hope more people respond comparing some of the other locations you mentioned. I personally love the Portsmouth/York ME area, but it isn't very affordable or close to skiing (2 must haves for us as well). Good luck to you.

Old Today, 09:38 PM

3 posts
I would definitely look into Plymouth and surrounding towns. Rumney Rocks is world-famous and you'd be close to skiing. Plymouth is a quaint little college town and there may be more job opportunities in commutable distance there than further north. You could, however, also look into the Bethlehem/Littleton area. A lot of people are moving into that area looking for exactly what you've described. It's beautiful but far then quite far from your family. I think the suggestion of Lake Sunapee is also good though the prices will likely be a bit higher. Given your list I think you'll be very happy in NH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire