U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 08:21 AM

1,326 posts, read 856,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
You're probably better off looking in Londonderry, Derry, Danville, Brentwood or Epping, south and east of Manchester. Verizon FiOS is available in those communities. Going west and/or north will greatly limit your connectivity choices.
Bedford too. I have plenty of colleagues who live in Bedford and remote in from home on a regular basis with no problem. I never had a problem with internet service in Merrimack, nor have I had any from Nashua.

As someone else mentioned, many people have generators for the occasional electrical outage. NH has also made a concentrated effort in recent years to do a lot of tree trimming in this area. We have not had any multi-day outages that I can remember in the last few years. At least is this immediate area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 10:06 AM
KCZ

1,596 posts, read 803,776 times
There are still scattered outages north of Concord from the last storm Tues-Wed, probably because tree-trimming in a lot of places up here only occurs if/when there's an outage. If the outage occurs because of a tree down on your individual property, you'll be the last one to get your power restored, because trunk lines and multi-property lines are repaired first. Ditto for restoration of aerial cable and internet/fiber-optic lines. So don't buy a wooded property if you're concerned about outages. You can track outages here. https://www.wmur.com/article/latest-...utages/5197561

Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM

1,326 posts, read 856,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
There are still scattered outages north of Concord from the last storm Tues-Wed, probably because tree-trimming in a lot of places up here only occurs if/when there's an outage. If the outage occurs because of a tree down on your individual property, you'll be the last one to get your power restored, because trunk lines and multi-property lines are repaired first. Ditto for restoration of aerial cable and internet/fiber-optic lines. So don't buy a wooded property if you're concerned about outages. You can track outages here. https://www.wmur.com/article/latest-...utages/5197561
Well, I can only speak to my area. But there has been a lot of proactive tree trimming around here over the past several years. They also regularly announce that there will be helicopters in the area viewing the tree coverage from the air, so they know where they need to target. This all happens during the good weather with the result that there hasn't been multi-day outages that I can remember in a good while.

I think the last that I can remember was that one Thanksgiving where we had a sudden snow/ice storm (4-5 years ago). I think I was out for about 12 hours or so. Some around here were out about 24 hours. But not much longer. I don't know how it was or has been for other areas of the state, but that is how it has been for the Nashua/Hollis/Amherst/Merrimack/Bedford area, as I remember. I don't live north of Concord, so I can't speak to that. But the OP is looking at areas west of Manchester, so I am hoping that my info can be helpful to him.

Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM

778 posts, read 388,292 times
Id be more concerned about power outages. Living there, you are going to see frequent losses.

Old Today, 07:22 AM

4,857 posts, read 4,952,719 times
If you move into an apartment complex or condo - things are probably fine.

It's out in the boonies that things get variable.

In my area Verizon is the choice for cell service but in other parts of the state it is AT&T. Not sure about T-Mobile or Sprint.

Cable service varies depending on where one ends up. In my town -

When cable came to my town. It was a company called Pegasus. The town fathers made a 15 year deal. In that deal - not every home or residence was covered or connected. Even today there are homes with no cable TV.

The contract has been renewed - and yet - the current selectmen did not mandate that all residents be covered for the new contract with a different cable provider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or