U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2018, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 413 times

Advertisements

I知 an African American single gay professional moving to Manchester, New Hampshire for a work opportunity. I知 looking for areas in NH or MA that are ideal for a professional in his mid 30s. Not really into the bar scene, but would like a cool place to go to every now and again to maybe have a good meal and a drink. I致e lived in a lot of places and have a very diverse circle of friends and I知 acutely aware of the lack of diversity in New Hampshire, however I would like an element of diversity in some respect. I壇 prefer my commute to be no more than an hour even during the winter. I知 less concerned about the snow as I致e lived in the north before but over time, I would tire from a long commute. I知 looking to pay no more than $2500.00 a month for a rental as I plan to keep my current home. I appreciate all ideas and perspectives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 06:15 AM

168 posts, read 244,737 times
It does not make sense to live in ma if you are working in nh. NH has no income tax, ma steals 6%.

You do not tell us whether you prefer an urban or rural environment but manchester and nashua are the closest things to a city in nh. They will have the largest volume of rental housing, the most diversity and some of the better restaurants.

For your requirements, manchester is likely the best option unless you are bringing a dog or greatly prefer a rural atmosphere. Concord and Nashua deserve mention. Fly into mht for a long weekend and check the place out, you will get a much better idea of what works for you than an anonymous internet forum.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:21 AM

100 posts, read 54,830 times
If I were you, I would look at these properties in downtown Manchester:
875 Elm Street
Wall Street Tower
Manchester Place

Old 12-14-2018, 09:46 AM

3,227 posts, read 2,723,863 times
See link.

Being black in NH?

Also, for $2500/ month you can rent a luxurious house in Bedford.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:32 AM

770 posts, read 331,498 times
Diversity isn't the first thing I'd associate with NH, but Manchester itself is probably your best bet. I think you can get a nice place for a good deal less than $2500/mo. You may want to consult this crime map because some neighborhoods in Manchester are dodgy. I suggest changing the settings so that you're visualizing only violent crimes, and over a period of a few months to get a good idea of where to avoid.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:38 PM

2 posts, read 413 times
Thank you very much. FYI - I prefer a urban setting.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:18 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,921,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relocating2019 View Post
Thank you very much. FYI - I prefer a urban setting.
If you don't mind paying the MA taxes, consider Lowell or Haverhill MA. More urban and hipster in comparison to Manchester itself.

Old Today, 03:27 PM

1,891 posts, read 716,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig0 View Post
It does not make sense to live in ma if you are working in nh. NH has no income tax, ma steals 6%.
I agree with this. If you're working in NH, might as well live there to take advantage of the taxes.

Nashua, although not exactly urban, would allow easy drive into Boston on weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or