U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 10:30 AM

4 posts

Advertisements

My family and I are planning a move in the next 6 to 12 months and this forum has been a wealth of information. We will be moving from San Diego, CA so it will be a huge change for us regarding weather. So... With that being said, I can't seem to find any information on "Snow days". I understand that on occasion school is either delayed, or cancelled entirely due to stormy weather. What does that mean for the parents? If school is cancelled for the day, and both parents work outside the house, does one of you just take the day off? Looking forward to hearing from you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:24 AM

812 posts, read 1,291,633 times
Right, if school is cancelled, the kids stay home and the parents have to scramble to find childcare. Either one parent stays home, they have a babysitter on call, a neighbor watch the kids.

Old Today, 11:44 AM

4 posts
Thanks so much, that is exactly what I figured. All these little things I keep thinking of that to most are hardly a thought. But none of these things we have had to think about here.

Old Today, 11:52 AM

9,030 posts, read 16,338,796 times
There are also early closing, The kids go to school, and are release around lunch time.

But yes, you need to make a plan for your younger children for where they will go on/do on snow day, delayed opening (Normally 2hrs) , or early release.

Old Today, 12:10 PM

4 posts
Early release, had no idea that was a thing. But very good to know, thank you.

Old Today, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKORF88 View Post
Early release, had no idea that was a thing. But very good to know, thank you.
They also do early release for "other things" also, like Teacher training, Parent-Teacher Meetings. If they are in school for X? (??4 hours??) it counts as a school day.

If there is a weather event that will start later in the day (lunch time) they will do the school day, and get the kids out before the roads start to get bad. But it counts as a "Day".

Also sometimes a "Delayed Opening" will change to "Closed" if weather is "worse then expected" or does not "end" in time for them to safely get to school.

Old Today, 12:37 PM

4 posts
Now, if the weather is too bad for school, does it ever get to a point where a business will close down for the day for the same reason? Or is it just business as usual during a bad weather event?

Old Today, 12:45 PM

Some will close, or close early,

But business have a "higher" standard for what is close-able event. Your smaller Mom&Pop will close faster then a super market. Retail business that generally would get no/slow traffic, or have employees who need to go to handle there child care needs, will often close (ie: A hair salon)

https://www.wmur.com/weather/closings

is one of the main sources of announcements on a good "event" there will be 600-1000 in there list.

Old Today, 12:49 PM

3,697 posts, read 1,909,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKORF88 View Post
Now, if the weather is too bad for school, does it ever get to a point where a business will close down for the day for the same reason? Or is it just business as usual during a bad weather event?
It depends on your employer. I worked for one that expected everyone in no matter the weather.

Mainly, it's comes down to common sense. If the forecast calls for heavy snow accumulation all day, most will close. If it snowed 6" overnight, you better get your sorry butt out of bed early, clear your driveway, and drive into work.

Oh, if you're the boss who expects all hands on deck no matter what - you best be there before me.

Old Today, 02:57 PM

488 posts, read 318,132 times
Hi,

I lived in SD as well, and will be there later this month.

Regarding businesses, most of them stay open all the time. If there is a major ice storm, a blizzard, or a hurricane, then a significant amount of business will close. However, events like these that cause a lot of businesses to close, happen rarely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or