U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM

3,227 posts, read 2,723,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Depends on your zip code. I don't think there's any particular difference in cachet of Burlington vs Portsmouth. I've lived in both places. Stowe vs Wolfeboro. Woodstock VT vs Hanover. I'd put Rutland VT head-to-head against the most struggling place in New Hampshire.
It's the Vermont at the end of the address not a particular town. Older folks think of the song "Moonlight in Vermont," which, true or not, gives the state a romantic cache.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgzaZaPf9Hc

As opposed to the song "Granite State of Mind," which coveys a feeling of unease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX7nQrCgALM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:15 AM

11,955 posts, read 6,178,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
It's the Vermont at the end of the address not a particular town. Older folks think of the song "Moonlight in Vermont," which, true or not, gives the state a romantic cache.

So the Mike Barnicle Boston Globe "New Hampshire looks like Arkansas with snow" thing?

Vermont vs. New Hampshire

I worked in southern New Hampshire for 18 years and lived in Portsmouth for 10 of those. I went to college in Burlington and have owned a vacation home at a Vermont ski resort for 25+ years. My ex-wife for a big chunk of that time was Lakes region. The states are different because the bottom edge of New Hampshire where most of the people live is Boston metro. Outside of Chittenden County and a bit of the upper river valley commutable to Dartmouth, Vermont is either low wage tourist industry catering to wealthy flatlanders or people struggling to get by just like any other rural place. Vermont is very good at marketing their tourist industry. The image doesn't align very well with reality. Once you get outside the tourist areas or little college towns, Vermont is nothing like The Bob Newhart Show. If you're not Chittenden County, near Dartmouth College, or in a place an affluent out-of-stater would want to buy a vacation home, housing is generally inexpensive and has the same rural poverty problems as anywhere else. It's less expensive than comparable New Hampshire real estate because most of the buyers are means tested away from the Act 68 state school property tax. If you're in the Vermont boonies in the Northeast Kingdom far from tourism, pretty much nobody pays the school tax.

Old Today, 02:02 PM

650 posts, read 976,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post

I suppose the "Vermont" at the end of the address does give a certain cachet, regardless of the town, at least to outsiders. But if we're talking home prices, and responding to a claim that prices in VT are much higher than in NH, then we have to talk about the particular town.

Old Today, 02:47 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON!"*"CHRISTE, ELEISON" KYRIE, ELEISON!"0)
2,645 posts, read 4,988,312 times
Lightbulb It depends....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorlan View Post
I did post a similar thread in the VT forum, as I don't understand why when I look on Zillow, the houses in NH are much cheaper than in VT. I've found a couple of nice older houses in NH around 250K that would cost easily 500K in VT. Does anybody could tell me what justifies such a difference in price?
Thanks
Phil

Location, location, property taxes & zip code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or