U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 10:46 AM
miu

16,719 posts, read 33,804,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Central NH.....north of Concord. Basically the greater Lakes Region.
So Concord is considered southern NH? I always thought that southern NH only extended to Manchester and along Rt. 101, which is about an hours drive from Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 10:51 AM

4,175 posts, read 4,462,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
So Concord is considered southern NH? I always thought that southern NH only extended to Manchester and along Rt. 101, which is about an hours drive from Boston.
Well, you know, I'm not the final authority on these things But roughly central NH would seem to be around the Lakes Region, Squam Lake, Sunapee & Newfound Lake until you hit the Whites up north & the Upper Valley to the west.

I always looked at Concord as just being the state capital on the edge of central NH. I guess you could lump it in as being in central NH.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:22 AM

12,087 posts, read 6,287,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Central NH.....north of Concord. Basically the greater Lakes Region.

I guess I have to disagree. Someone moving to Alton or Moultonborough or Laconia would say Lakes Region, not Central NH. My ex-wife was from Moultonborough. I heard Lakes, not Central.

The Central New Hampshire Planning Commission link is here: Central New Hampshire

It's basically Concord area and includes Bow.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:18 PM

4,175 posts, read 4,462,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I guess I have to disagree. Someone moving to Alton or Moultonborough or Laconia would say Lakes Region, not Central NH. My ex-wife was from Moultonborough. I heard Lakes, not Central.

The Central New Hampshire Planning Commission link is here: Central New Hampshire

It's basically Concord area and includes Bow.
Geographically the Lakes Region is about as central as central gets, but it's more a Chamber of Commerce, tourism designation. So whatever people want to call it they call it.

Old 12-18-2018, 01:32 PM

652 posts, read 984,256 times
Quote:
Not really. South Shore is more Boston Irish white flight. Murphy, O'Connor, Sullivan. Not Sousa, Costa, Medeiros. That's South Coast, aka "West Portugal", my birthplace and where linguica is the most common pizza topping. Other than right on the coast where it's very affluent, the South Shore is Trump country. West, East, and Bridgewater, Whitman, Hanson, Hanover, Pembroke, Kingston, Plympton, Carver, Middleborough. As opposed to Hingham, Scituate, Duxbury on the coast.

So I agree that it depends on where on the South Shore. The coastal part is mostly affluent professional bedroom towns with a lot of Boston commuters. There are big chunks of the South Shore where you have the same house issues with well, septic, oil delivery. Radon issues are similar.

Okay, you guys are correct. (And I almost said in my previous post, "you're not going to find linguica on pizza in most places, and many grocery stores don't carry it!" Ha ha.)

I grew up in Northern New England with parents from Mass. and all my extended family in Mass. - Irish from the North Shore, Portuguese from New Bedford area. Despite in my adult years spending a lot of time in what is apparently "officially" the South Shore (due to location of friends/family of significant others) I realize now that I have incorrectly considered pretty much the whole southern coastal area to be the "South Shore." I am familiar with the term "Irish Riviera" and it's true all the people I know in what I now understand to be truly South Shore are of Irish descent. I was adding in Fall River, New Bedford, etc..

In any case, I will amend my comment to say there will be cultural differences, whether it's lack of Irish prevalence or Portuguese. This was one of the biggest things I noticed when I first moved to NH over 11 years ago, although I'm used to it now. Yes, no linguica at my local Shaw's, and only one form of it at Hannaford. Market Basket still has it in many forms. And you just don't hear the Irish and Portuguese last names anywhere near as much as you do in various areas of Mass. and people seem less connected to their heritage, maybe because there are so many people of English descent. You don't see people walking around all over the place on Ash Wednesday with ash on their foreheads.

I guess that's really just a big difference between many regions of Mass. and most of NH.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:36 PM

12,087 posts, read 6,287,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
Okay, you guys are correct. (And I almost said in my previous post, "you're not going to find linguica on pizza in most places, and many grocery stores don't carry it!" Ha ha.)

I grew up in Northern New England with parents from Mass. and all my extended family in Mass. - Irish from the North Shore, Portuguese from New Bedford area. Despite in my adult years spending a lot of time in what is apparently "officially" the South Shore (due to location of friends/family of significant others) I realize now that I have incorrectly considered pretty much the whole southern coastal area to be the "South Shore." I am familiar with the term "Irish Riviera" and it's true all the people I know in what I now understand to be truly South Shore are of Irish descent. I was adding in Fall River, New Bedford, etc..

In any case, I will amend my comment to say there will be cultural differences, whether it's lack of Irish prevalence or Portuguese. This was one of the biggest things I noticed when I first moved to NH over 11 years ago, although I'm used to it now. Yes, no linguica at my local Shaw's, and only one form of it at Hannaford. Market Basket still has it in many forms. And you just don't hear the Irish and Portuguese last names anywhere near as much as you do in various areas of Mass. and people seem less connected to their heritage, maybe because there are so many people of English descent. You don't see people walking around all over the place on Ash Wednesday with ash on their foreheads.

I guess that's really just a big difference between many regions of Mass. and most of NH.

Your geography lesson for the day:

Old 12-18-2018, 03:06 PM

564 posts, read 271,974 times
Wouldn't lower overall taxes be a big change. People on here complain about NH's high property tax, but in light of ZERO income and sales tax, the net tax has to be much lower.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:25 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"🙏 ❄⭐🎄⛄
2,699 posts, read 5,014,947 times
Thumbs up Thank you!

Quote:

Thanks for the map!LOL! I love it! Where did you get it? Reputation points for ya, as soon as the "system" allows it....

Old 12-18-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:

I've seen that before! Pretty accurate.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
Wouldn't lower overall taxes be a big change. People on here complain about NH's high property tax, but in light of ZERO income and sales tax, the net tax has to be much lower.

This has been discussed a lot. It's really dependent on the town one selects, and one's personal financial situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or