Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 04:05 PM

19 posts, read 54,092 times

Advertisements

I am in the very beginning stages of starting the process to relocate to southern or central NH within the next few Years from the South Shore in Massachusetts and was hoping for some insight on what will I notice right away once I purchase a house and begin living in New Hampshire (What will be better and what will be worse in your opinion).

Thank you all in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 05:14 PM

6,524 posts, read 6,672,315 times
If you find yourself on well & septic that could be an issue if you are not familiar with it. I find it to be a PITA & have avoided dealing with it even though my place is in central NH. I made sure that I was on city water & sewer.

One thing I like about central NH is how light the off-season traffic is. It's still actually a pleasure to drive up here most of the year. I'm in Boston a lot these days because of work & the driving is brutal

Old 12-14-2018, 05:21 PM

830 posts, read 1,528,037 times
I guess it depends on exactly where on the South Shore you are, but I'd say you'll notice cultural differences. There is a lot of Portuguese (Azorean) influence on the South Shore. You don't get that in most of NH. And then of course you won't be as close to the ocean.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:08 AM
miu

17,763 posts, read 40,031,713 times
The non-interstate roads are extremely quiet and dark at night. You need to be on the constant watch for deer and other wildlife that might be crossing in front of you.

And because of our lengthier and colder winter season, it's better to have a house that is closer to the road so that there is less snow to remove in order to get out and about after a storm.

Be ready for much higher property taxes.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:07 AM

500 posts, read 630,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Be ready for much higher property taxes.
Maybe, but good chance they will be paying less!!!!

Old 12-16-2018, 08:44 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,529,045 times
the sex is much better here.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:26 AM
miu

17,763 posts, read 40,031,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
Maybe, but good chance they will be paying less!!!!
Not if they buy in southern and central NH... yes, my property costs less than a comparable in MA, but my property taxes are double compared to MA. My taxes are twice than what my much smaller house in Newton that was valued twice as much.

Also, according to my NH neighbors who bought their homes over 20 years ago, NH property taxes have gone up at a much faster rate than MA and with no end in sight. It's very scary what is going on with our property taxes.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:10 PM

9,787 posts, read 7,057,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
I guess it depends on exactly where on the South Shore you are, but I'd say you'll notice cultural differences. There is a lot of Portuguese (Azorean) influence on the South Shore. You don't get that in most of NH. And then of course you won't be as close to the ocean.
South Coast for Portuguese influence yes. South Shore not so much AFAIK.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:32 AM

24,510 posts, read 18,006,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post

Not really. South Shore is more Boston Irish white flight. Murphy, O'Connor, Sullivan. Not Sousa, Costa, Medeiros. That's South Coast, aka "West Portugal", my birthplace and where linguica is the most common pizza topping. Other than right on the coast where it's very affluent, the South Shore is Trump country. West, East, and Bridgewater, Whitman, Hanson, Hanover, Pembroke, Kingston, Plympton, Carver, Middleborough. As opposed to Hingham, Scituate, Duxbury on the coast.

So I agree that it depends on where on the South Shore. The coastal part is mostly affluent professional bedroom towns with a lot of Boston commuters. There are big chunks of the South Shore where you have the same house issues with well, septic, oil delivery. Radon issues are similar.

I lived in Portsmouth for a decade and worked a big chunk of my career in the NH border towns. I'm a bit fuzzy about what "Central New Hampshire" means. Concord and towns bordering or two towns away from Concord?

Old 12-18-2018, 10:40 AM

6,524 posts, read 6,672,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Not really. South Shore is more Boston Irish white flight. Murphy, O'Connor, Sullivan. Not Sousa, Costa, Medeiros. That's South Coast, aka "West Portugal", my birthplace and where linguica is the most common pizza topping. Other than right on the coast where it's very affluent, the South Shore is Trump country. West, East, and Bridgewater, Whitman, Hanson, Hanover, Pembroke, Kingston, Plympton, Carver, Middleborough. As opposed to Hingham, Scituate, Duxbury on the coast.

So I agree that it depends on where on the South Shore. The coastal part is mostly affluent professional bedroom towns with a lot of Boston commuters. There are big chunks of the South Shore where you have the same house issues with well, septic, oil delivery. Radon issues are similar.

I lived in Portsmouth for a decade and worked a big chunk of my career in the NH border towns. I'm a bit fuzzy about what "Central New Hampshire" means. Concord and towns bordering or two towns away from Concord?
Central NH.....north of Concord. Basically the greater Lakes Region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire