U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 06:47 PM

90 posts, read 353,902 times

Advertisements

Hello all.
Within the next 5 years, my husband and I are planning to move to NH, both to be near aging parents in Dover and Salem, and to hike the Whites again, which we loved to do before we moved to our current location, San Diego. Right now we live in a city neighborhood with its downsides (erratic and destructive behavior from transients, non-stop sirens) as well as its advantages (being able to walk to stores, library, etc.). Can you recommend cities or larger towns in NH where there are plenty of sidewalks for daily walks? I imagine most of the former mill towns would fill the bill - I've certainly put in some miles in Dover while visiting - but perhaps there are non-mill-towns that I haven't considered? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 07:13 PM

3,209 posts, read 2,909,028 times
Lightbulb Personally, I moved out a a more rural area and bought a good pair of snowshoes.

Good time to ask this question -- even where there are "downtown" sidewalks, some towns don't keep up with the snowfall and let them become impassible during peak snow+ice season.

How many miles of sidewalk do you need? For example, Milford only has many a mile or so of sidewalk, just enough to make it to the library, tavern,etc, but fades out quickly once you exit the town center.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:46 PM

500 posts, read 340,767 times
Hello,

I just got back from spending two weeks in San Diego. I used to love living there when I was younger, but being in paradise NH for almost a decade, SoCal is way too busy and crazy for me now.

Nonesuch asks a good question in bold. If you answer him, we can help you out!

Old 01-07-2019, 12:29 AM
KCZ

1,609 posts, read 853,415 times
Concord, which also has good access to Dover, Salem, and points north for hiking.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:12 AM

20,447 posts, read 35,095,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boose View Post
Hello all.
Within the next 5 years, my husband and I are planning to move to NH, both to be near aging parents in Dover and Salem, and to hike the Whites again, which we loved to do before we moved to our current location, San Diego. Right now we live in a city neighborhood with its downsides (erratic and destructive behavior from transients, non-stop sirens) as well as its advantages (being able to walk to stores, library, etc.). Can you recommend cities or larger towns in NH where there are plenty of sidewalks for daily walks? I imagine most of the former mill towns would fill the bill - I've certainly put in some miles in Dover while visiting - but perhaps there are non-mill-towns that I haven't considered? Thanks in advance!
Concord and Dover are walkable. Meredith has some nice portions near the Downtown that are walkable near the Town Docks. You don't particularly mention if you desire to be in more of a sizable town or smaller village, however. Obviously, the very small towns in NH will not have much in the way of sidewalk infrastructure.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:01 AM

457 posts, read 276,518 times
Another vote for Concord especially since the remodel of main street.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:58 PM

90 posts, read 353,902 times
Gee, Nonesuch, I think I'd need at least 2 miles of sidewalks (for a 4 mi. r/t). And the passability in winter is a good point. When I lived in Mass., I used to totter along wearing Stabilicers.

I am definitely thinking of larger towns and cities rather than rural areas, though. Thanks for the replies!

Old 01-07-2019, 01:17 PM

1,109 posts, read 909,863 times
Concord property taxes are quite high, though.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:13 PM

500 posts, read 340,767 times
Not sure what your budget will be, but if you want larger towns and cities, then I suggest in or near Portsmouth. After that, Concord.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:23 PM

71 posts, read 68,897 times
There are at least a good handful of towns and cities in New Hampshire that could meet your criteria, the key might just be where in those towns/cities you are located. I used to live in DC without a car and really missed being able to walk out the door and walk to everything I needed, so walkability became a big criterion when we were exploring towns.

It sounds like you have already experienced the walkability of Dover. Dover was one of my favorite towns for walkability. Some other towns that have good walkability in their downtown areas are Concord, Portsmouth, Durham, Exeter, Manchester and Nashua. Those towns/cities don't necessarily have great walkability from anywhere in town, but they are very walkable in the downtown neighborhood.

A good point was raised above about the variability in terms of how towns handle winter clearing. I don't know much about most of the towns on the list and someone who actually lived in them could probably help more. When I have been in Portsmouth and Dover during winter their sidewalks have seemed well-cleared to me, but that is only from the perspective of a visitor. I have not always heard or seen great things about Concord's sidewalk clearing abilities. I remember a few years ago, a homeless man in a wheelchair was struck and killed in Concord. He was traveling in the shoulder because the sidewalk was covered in ice and snow and impassable with his wheelchair. I have seen plenty of sidewalks piled high with snow around Concord (but I have spent a lot more time there than Dover or Portsmouth), but the neighborhood directly around downtown might have better managed sidewalks in poor weather. I also have a friend who lives in Manchester without a car and he is constantly complaining about the sidewalks not being cleared or poorly cleared.

I hate driving and am very happy up in Littleton, although it sounds like you are probably looking for a larger/more centrally located town. Littleton is a small little mountain town (population just under 6,000), but it is a regional hub, so there is a lot more right in town than a typical town of its size. I honestly do not have to leave town to get anything I need, and I can walk to everything. We typically drive to Walmart/Shaws/TJMaxx etc just for convenience, but there are sidewalks connecting even those places and it is very reasonable to walk there. I have actually met a few people who get by without a car at all here (we also have a bus system connecting nearby towns and hubs within towns, as well as a bus that goes to Plymouth/Concord/Manchester/Boston). I also know a lot of families that only have one car, not out of financial necessity, but just because they don't need the second car. We actually just sold our second car, because we haven't needed to use it at all since moving up here. I can also say that I walk pretty much everywhere in all weather (nothing stops or slows down for snow up here) and the sidewalks have been exceptionally well cleared. The town is even quick in clearing non-paved walking paths after the sidewalks.

Last edited by 247crw; 01-07-2019 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: more information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or