U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 07:01 PM

4 posts, read 1,555 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to drive up to NH from Long Island NY and spend up to a week there to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary towards the end of July. We have no idea where to start and would love some suggestions. We don’t do much travel and we’re kind of low key...some sight seeing and fine dining is right up our alley. We’re considering NH as a possible retirement destination in a few years and figured it would be nice to go and see what it is like. Are there local consultants who could help with planning out an agenda? Maybe suggestions for a few bed & breakfasts and restaurants to try? What about day trips to special places? Are there personal local guides available for exploring different parts of the state? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 07:11 PM

500 posts, read 338,411 times
Hi there! I drive over 30k miles a year in NH. I'm all over the state, all the time, exploring and having fun (see my Instagram). If you are considering retiring here, and staying for an entire week, then I suggest splitting your time in the following three areas: White Mountains, Lakes Region, Seacoast. If you spend two or three days in each area, and do some exploring, you will get a taste of what NH has to offer.

Since you are into fine dining, I suggest staying near Portsmouth for your Seacoast leg of the trip. There are many good restaurants there, and Portsmouth is a fun, walkable little city. (I've been all over the U.S. many times, and find Portsmouth to be one of the nicest little cities there is.) Also out on the Seacoast is Odiorne State Park.

Are you guys into hiking or anything outdoorsy?

Old 01-07-2019, 07:26 PM

We used to go camping when we were younger, but not so much now. We do love nature and my wife enjoys gardening. I like to ski, so winters there might be fun. Neither of us likes crowds or your typical tourist traps. If we move to NH, we'd probably be looking for land and space with some peace and quiet.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:57 AM
KCZ

1,608 posts, read 848,239 times
If you're not into crowds or tourist traps, I'd avoid the Lakes Region in July. In a week, you could split your time between the Seacoast and the White Mtns. You'll still have to deal with some tourists but not like the LR.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:01 PM

6 posts, read 1,602 times
You might also like to check out the Monadnock and Lake Sunapee regions. A lot of folks retire there and there's lots to do and lots of open space and peace and quiet to enjoy!

Old 01-09-2019, 09:00 AM

Thanks for all the great tips! How is the traffic in NH during the summer? If we want to drive around and see the various regions to scope out a possible retirement spot, are there any areas to avoid? I think if we were to buy a house in NH, it would have to have municipal water and natural gas available. We'd also be looking for at least 2 acres of land.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:47 AM

500 posts, read 338,411 times
You will need to be in one of the urban areas for municipal water and natural gas. If you want to live on land in the country in a private setting, this is likely not going to happen.

Regarding summer "traffic" in NH, the general pattern is that Friday afternoons heading into NH and north on the highways, and Sunday afternoon heading out of NH and south on the highways, there is some traffic. So figure a 45-minute drive might turn into a 55-minute drive. This "traffic" is from people coming to enjoy NH on the weekends. (I always put traffic in quotes, because NH traffic is laughable.) There is also a slight congestion along the southern border when people are heading into Boston in the AM and out of Boston in the PM. In the summer I also run into some traffic on the highways and main arteries when on the Seacoast. Other than this, I find NH traffic-free unless there is something significant going on--leaf peeping on weekends during peak colors, NASCAR race in Loudon, bike week in Laconia, etc.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:47 AM

5,065 posts, read 5,136,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_lab View Post
Thanks for all the great tips! How is the traffic in NH during the summer? If we want to drive around and see the various regions to scope out a possible retirement spot, are there any areas to avoid? I think if we were to buy a house in NH, it would have to have municipal water and natural gas available. We'd also be looking for at least 2 acres of land.
As stated above by LeviDunn - ain't gonna happen. Mutually exclusive with very rare exceptions.

My neighbors retired here from Long Island, NY. Bought a nice home on rural paved street with 2 acres. Some of it was wetlands though. The realtor called it water front home but is used to be called a swamp in the old days. Mosquitos can be problematic in this type of environment. But on the plus side - lots of wildlife.

You can either get a home with sidewalks in/near city center OR land/home in rural areas with septic and well. And no sidewalks or street lights.

Read up on types of wells and types of septic systems. Some have pumps and some are gravity.

If you wish for city amenities then seek out a college town. Or community near the ocean. Might be better chance for land/house and city water and gas nearer to the ocean.

Take a drive through the town of Newton, NH. Very beautiful. Near to most everything. But no (or little) city water or gas.

In NH they use a lot of salt on roads. So read up on oil undercoating for vehicles. There is another thread on this so no need to get into that discussion on this thread.

Best of Luck.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:49 AM

18,654 posts, read 17,809,933 times
I second Portsmouth in the seacoast area. It's a bit on the expensive side, but it's a gorgeous and lively town. In summer there are outdoor theater productions in Prescott park and nearby (since you are interested in gardening) is Fuller Gardens. https://www.fullergardens.org/ This is a magnificent rose garden situated next to the sea. That entire area is a scenic drive alongside the ocean, some of it high up, looking out over the ocean. Mansions on one side, ocean on the other.

Just a little bit inland, you get towns like Exeter that are upscale and have interesting galleries and shops. Traffic isn't bad there either, maybe a little bit on summer Saturdays with people going to the beaches, but it's not much.

You are close to countryside with farms and old fashioned New England villages yet you aren't out in the middle of nowhere either. That area would be expensive to move to but ideal for a special vacation.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:02 PM

93 posts, read 74,914 times
Just one week? I suggest two or three to get a real taste of New Hampshire. July and August are the best months, in my opinion. Everything is open and there is plenty to do. Of course this means there will be some traffic too but even that is relatively moderate in most places.

If you like the theater I suggest the New London Barn Playhouse. A summer stock theater over 80 years old. Looks like they will be performing Grease in late July.
https://nlbarn.org/2018/11/01/2019-summer-season/
New London itself is a beautiful town and shouldn't be missed.

If you like nature walks I suggest the Flume Gorge and Lost River Gorge. I'd say the Flume is a little bit better but they are about equal really.
https://www.visitwhitemountains.com/...ns/flume-gorge
If you like walking on wooden paths over rocks there are the Polar Caves.
https://www.visitwhitemountains.com/...lar-caves-park

If exploring big mansions is your thing then try Castle in the Clouds.
https://www.castleintheclouds.org/

By all means do the Kancamagus highway, one of the most beautiful drives in America. You can include a trip up the Mt. Washington road in the same day. Drive or take the Cog Railway, it's all good.

Kancamagus Highway in NH: Welcome to the Kancamagus Scenic Byway!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...Hampshire.html

Scattered across New Hampshire are many old covered bridges. There are free maps (with yellow trim, available everywhere) which will help you locate them. I've walked up and down many of them but still just a fraction of the total. The Ashuelot and Cornish-Windsor (2nd longest covered bridge in America) bridges are among my favorites.

As for fine dining... well, I'm no gourmand. I do like the Hungry Buffalo in Loudon which serves a wide variety of meats. Also the Brickhouse in Hillsborough is a favorite. For breakfast I've enjoyed the Intervale house in Henniker.
Hungry Buffalo | American Restaurant, Pub, Entertainment, Live Music | Loudon, NH
https://www.brickhousefamilyrestaurant.com/
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...Hampshire.html

New Hampshire has a number of large, family-run used book stores. Particular favorites are Books By the Lake in Bradford, Old Number Six in Henniker.

Just a brief list, hope it helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or