U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 01:25 PM

9 posts, read 2,327 times

Advertisements

Good morning!
Because of a job, we are relocating from Missoula, MT to southern NH or VT this spring and Id love to hear thoughts on a few towns. We are late 30s with small children, politically left leaning and into outdoor stuff, good food, sarcasm and music. We are looking for a dynamic and safe community that is family friendly and has easy access to all sorts of outdoor activities. Good schools are also important. We would like a community with a small town center but rural living outside of that.

At first we thought Brattleboro would be a good fit but then I heard that it is seedy and drug infested. Is this true? What about Keene? What is that town like? Walpole, Harrisville and Putney are also on our list.
Any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 01:40 PM

1,097 posts, read 903,096 times
If the job is in Vermont, I would suggest moving to Vermont, else you'll get to pay Vermont income tax and new Hampshire property tax.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:55 PM

He has work in both states actually! The town vibe is more important to us

Old 01-13-2019, 12:06 PM

3,492 posts, read 5,920,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerienellk View Post
He has work in both states actually! The town vibe is more important to us

The town vibe is they're currently outraged that a restaurant named PHO Keene is coming in. So outraged it made my news here in Charlotte, NC this morning. My husband and I cracked up watching the broadcaster have to keep saying that knowing it sounds like something else.

I HIGHLY suggest you visit that place before you move there.... you're in the middle of nowhereville with nothing much to do.. Snow amounts are... tough... some years and its one of the more expensive areas depending. There was another poster that was going to move out there due to a job and smartly went to go visit first... They turned it down after they found the town didn't meet their needs. You're an hour (without snow and IF you can get out of the town.. during ice storms it may be difficult or impossible to get in or out) from any mall and will need to drive to one if you can't find what you need in Keene.. which can be several times.

Brattleboro is only about 15 mins ish from Keene so if you think its in Brattleboro its certainly in Keene.. Heroine/opiate is running rampid in these small towns... and Keene is small..

I haven't been back in 10 years but my husband was a police officer in Keene in 07-08 if that means something. I just now turned to him and asked "would you say Keene had a drug problem when we lived there?"... "yes.. huge, massive.... nearly nightly I was getting someone for pills or heroine. I wouldn't consider the college kids smoking pot an issue. That's really all they did beside drink" ... so take that was you will.

Long story short (as someone who previously lived there and is your age with a child) you're going to be bored to absolute tears just my opinion. Some may have different thought on it. If you were moving to the sea coast I'd say go for it... but.. yah... just go visit first.. PLEASE...

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 01-13-2019 at 12:15 PM..

Old 01-13-2019, 01:40 PM

Well, we certainly plan to visit first but we need to make a short list of towns first. I don’t think we will be bored though. We live in Missoula, Montana now so we are used to open spaces and minimal urban areas. In fact, my concern is the opposite: too little open space. Thank you, though. Yeah, I hear a lot about the drug issue. It’s definitely scary but I hope that my parenting and involvement will help to avoid that for my sons. I do think that issue is everywhere though.

Mostly, I’d love to compile a short list of towns to visit. We will definitely be relocating to the area though. Montana just won’t work for my husband’s career (jazz music) so we need to be east.

Would love to hear descriptions of: Keene, Walpole, Harrisville, putney, Jamaica, and anything else that might fit us in souther NH abd VT.
THANK YOU!

Old 01-15-2019, 04:36 AM

232 posts, read 166,344 times
Harrisville and Walpole are both good towns they within a short drive of Keene with all the shopping. Harrisville is lovely town, I like getting a sandwich at the little store and enjoy the view of the valley below plus the mills across the road. Walpole has a pretty Main St, we have friends there who really like it. Also consider Hancock another pretty little town northeast of Harrisville. You might rent first then buy to get a better feel for the area. I lived in that are for 30 years there's much to like about it.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:10 PM

654 posts, read 991,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
The town vibe is they're currently outraged that a restaurant named PHO Keene is coming in. So outraged it made my news here in Charlotte, NC this morning. My husband and I cracked up watching the broadcaster have to keep saying that knowing it sounds like something else.

The name is actually "Pho Keene Great!" Haha. [Pho is not pronounced with a long 'o'.]

I watched the story on NBC Boston and they wouldn't say the actual name. They would insert "name of city" instead of saying Keene.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:43 PM
KCZ

1,607 posts, read 846,564 times
I would look at the school systems before anything else. Walpole, Harrisville, Putney, and Jamaica are very small towns with grade schools. They send their JrHigh and HS students to Fall Mtn, Keene, Brattleboro, and Leland-Gray (I think) respectively.

Have you visited the area, especially in the winter? The last 3 families I knew who moved to northern New England from MT were appalled by the winters here.

As for the other things you asked about...
Generally, VT is more left leaning than NH, but Keene is a college town and probably more left-leaning than other parts of NH.
There are outdoor activities everywhere, but if you want downhill skiing, you'll be closer to the mtns in southern VT than southern NH, especially from Jamaica.

Regarding good food, you have to hunt it out. Putney, Harrisville, and Walpole are all pretty small and don't support a huge variety of restaurants. You'll need to head into Keene or Brattleboro.
Regarding "open space," there's a lot of undeveloped space in the small towns, but a lot of it is forested. Northern New England is one of the mostly heavily forested areas in the country.

I second the suggestion to rent before buying. It's hard to get a feel for the area from 2000 miles away and expect to make the best choice of residence. Also ask questions in the Vermont forum if you haven't already.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:22 PM

Thank you. Yes, we will certainly rent. We both grew up in NY so we understand how the winters can get. I like snow! It’s the freezing and cloudy days that can be tough. Oh, and I meant open space as in trails, not unforested. Just want to be able to get out and explore! The disease def scares me though.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:24 AM

97 posts, read 35,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post

I HIGHLY suggest you visit that place before you move there.... you're in the middle of nowhereville with nothing much to do.. Snow amounts are... tough... some years and its one of the more expensive areas depending. There was another poster that was going to move out there due to a job and smartly went to go visit first... They turned it down after they found the town didn't meet their needs. You're an hour (without snow and IF you can get out of the town.. during ice storms it may be difficult or impossible to get in or out) from any mall and will need to drive to one if you can't find what you need in Keene.. which can be several times.

Brattleboro is only about 15 mins ish from Keene so if you think its in Brattleboro its certainly in Keene.. Heroine/opiate is running rampid in these small towns... and Keene is small..

I haven't been back in 10 years but my husband was a police officer in Keene in 07-08 if that means something. I just now turned to him and asked "would you say Keene had a drug problem when we lived there?"... "yes.. huge, massive.... nearly nightly I was getting someone for pills or heroine. I wouldn't consider the college kids smoking pot an issue. That's really all they did beside drink" ... so take that was you will.

Long story short (as someone who previously lived there and is your age with a child) you're going to be bored to absolute tears just my opinion. Some may have different thought on it. If you were moving to the sea coast I'd say go for it... but.. yah... just go visit first.. PLEASE...

Keene is literally what I'd call ultra liberal.. people get offended there easily it seems like .. either that or they brute types that don't get rattled at all who might be too tough. So it seems they got both extremes going and where you seem to see it even more.. is Brattleboro from my experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire