Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 06:06 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times

Advertisements

CONCORD, N.H. —
A Democratic plan to establish paid family and medical leave in New Hampshire passed the state Senate on Thursday on a party-line vote.

Senate Bill 1 advanced on a 13-10 vote. It would require businesses to provide family and medical leave insurance or send 0.5 percent of employees' weekly wages to the state, generating more than $150 million per year.

https://www.wmur.com/article/democra...enate/26346687

That's the camel getting his nose in the tent and will just lead to more and more income deductions in the future. NH democrats are going to keep bringing this up until it gets passed and this is how we will end up with an income tax in this state. Governor Sununu may veto it but eventually the dems will be in charge of both the state legislature and the governorship, and that will be that.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:53 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Thumbs down An income tax by any other name is still an income tax, even if it starts out as a tiny tax.

I'd prefer New Hampshire join with Vermont in the optional insurance program Sununu is pushing.

Last year's bills were either better, or worse, depending on your point of view, than SB1; the 2018 edition allowed employees to "opt out" of payroll deduction, but only if you made the election before your first day on the job. Fail to submit a notarized form before you start, and you're opted in for the duration of your career at that company -- the only way to ever "opt out" after Day 1 would've been to quit your job and move to a different employee.

This time around, employees aren't given a choice, and employers face an insurance mandate.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:48 AM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,665,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
CONCORD, N.H. —
A Democratic plan to establish paid family and medical leave in New Hampshire passed the state Senate on Thursday on a party-line vote.

Senate Bill 1 advanced on a 13-10 vote. It would require businesses to provide family and medical leave insurance or send 0.5 percent of employees' weekly wages to the state, generating more than $150 million per year.

https://www.wmur.com/article/democra...enate/26346687

That's the camel getting his nose in the tent and will just lead to more and more income deductions in the future. NH democrats are going to keep bringing this up until it gets passed and this is how we will end up with an income tax in this state. Governor Sununu may veto it but eventually the dems will be in charge of both the state legislature and the governorship, and that will be that.

I would think this is a big disincentive for businesses to provide this type of coverage, when they can send an amount that most people won't miss from their paychecks to the state and let the state deal with this. People who pay for their own short term disability insurance are going to get hosed by paying for this in addition. I also predict that the state can't fund this plan with the 0.5% of payrolls that it's planning to collect. Not only will that percentage creep up, but the additional expense will be passed on to retirees and other non-working citizens.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:31 PM

146 posts, read 114,412 times
0.5% will turn into 1%, which will turn into 2%, then 4%... once they do that they'll feel more comfortable raising other taxes and tacking on new "fees", then eventually they'll begin eroding some of the freedoms you enjoy.

Lefties have this bad habit of voting for politicians that make their lives miserable, then escape to a freer state only to vote for the same types of politicians they ran from.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:23 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
I'd support that income tax if it could be channeled purely to fund our public grade schools. But not for this paid family and medical leave act.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:15 PM
miu

And the reason being is that NH HAS to find additional ways to fund our public schools. It can't be mainly from property taxes. It's killing us older folks and preventing us from saving for retirement. This family and medical leave stuff is not as important as finding additional revenue streams for our school systems.

Families get enough government perks. Free grade school education, now they want paid family leave... a system which is going to be scammed and abused by parents. And certainly don't want to work in an environment with mostly parents who have to take off to deal with a sick child and leave the rest of us with extra work because our boss doesn't want to staff extra workers just in case there are absentee workers.

If someone needs time off for personal reasons, fine. But don't expect be paid for not working.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:18 PM

56 posts, read 43,084 times
Taxes are a way for the human race to re-distribute money so that the commonwealth does not suffer unduly. Government and taxes were created for positive reasons.

When the wealthy control government, and the government becomes non-representative, the affluent do whatever they can to avoid the taxes because they do not see any need to help the have-nots. If taxation was reasonably fairer, like it generally was up until the Carter-Reagan years, there would be less civil and political unrest.

The oligarchs in our era no longer think in terms of giving to the masses via taxation because of globalism and technology. They can move anywhere and still be rich. Most of the rest of humanity cannot move anywhere. They must depend upon the charity of whatever employers choose to pay taxes and stay in a less-affluent economic environment in order to help their communities. In our era, too many people have fallen victim to the idea that we all owe each other nothing except "opportunity."

There is for practical reasons little opportunity because of our birth and polico-economic system, but they are in denial about that and continue to think there is. They also believe in free will, which most intellectuals and scientists no longer do, and that helps them rationalize the misery of the have-nots. They think they worked for everything they have, and disregard any notion that it was Chance that gave them affluence.

New Hampshire is losing population because jobs are so dreadfully concentrated in major financial centers like Boston, New York, San Fransisco, etc..., and because manufacturing is defunct due to off-shore investment in super-cheap labor like China, so tell me, who will pay for government services if not the affluent?

Old 02-17-2019, 04:04 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslresident444 View Post
New Hampshire is losing population because jobs are so dreadfully concentrated in major financial centers like Boston, New York, San Fransisco, etc..., and because manufacturing is defunct due to off-shore investment in super-cheap labor like China, so tell me, who will pay for government services if not the affluent?
Please define "affluent"... because I know that I am not affluent, and yet my town expects my husband and I to cough up $11K a year in property taxes like it's not big deal. In fact, my town budget committee is hoping to tack on another $500 a year to my bill to fund a new safety fire and police complex. And all the older homeowners are struggling to pay their taxes, bills that have quadrupled since they bought their homes over 20 years ago.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:10 AM

21 posts, read 25,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Please define "affluent"... because I know that I am not affluent, and yet my town expects my husband and I to cough up $11K a year in property taxes like it's not big deal. In fact, my town budget committee is hoping to tack on another $500 a year to my bill to fund a new safety fire and police complex. And all the older homeowners are struggling to pay their taxes, bills that have quadrupled since they bought their homes over 20 years ago.

My wife and I are in the same boat and it is the the biggest question we have about chosing to retire in NH or Maine.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:11 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslresident444 View Post
Taxes are a way for the human race to re-distribute money so that the commonwealth does not suffer unduly. Government and taxes were created for positive reasons.

When the wealthy control government, and the government becomes non-representative, the affluent do whatever they can to avoid the taxes because they do not see any need to help the have-nots. If taxation was reasonably fairer, like it generally was up until the Carter-Reagan years, there would be less civil and political unrest.

The oligarchs in our era no longer think in terms of giving to the masses via taxation because of globalism and technology. They can move anywhere and still be rich. Most of the rest of humanity cannot move anywhere. They must depend upon the charity of whatever employers choose to pay taxes and stay in a less-affluent economic environment in order to help their communities. In our era, too many people have fallen victim to the idea that we all owe each other nothing except "opportunity."

There is for practical reasons little opportunity because of our birth and polico-economic system, but they are in denial about that and continue to think there is. They also believe in free will, which most intellectuals and scientists no longer do, and that helps them rationalize the misery of the have-nots. They think they worked for everything they have, and disregard any notion that it was Chance that gave them affluence.

Are you a democrat member of our state house or senate by any chance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire