U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 12:51 PM

6,495 posts, read 2,760,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbw1011 View Post
Not only does NH have the highest in-state tuition in the country, but we are also lucky enough to have pretty expensive rentals that young people have to deal with upon graduation. That's not even mentioning the fact that the job market isn't the greatest unless you are skilled in very specific areas. The fact of the matter is that NH doesn't deserve to keep the young if the legislature is going to stick to the same ol' b.s. What will happen is the rural areas will empty out more and more and immigrants will have to replace the native millennials who have moved away.
This. I don’t know anyone on my demographic 20-30 who would eve consider moving to New Hampshire. And the ones from New Hampshire moved our ASAP. They didn’t care where,they just wanted to move.

I say this with all seriousness and sincerity....As someone born in 1994 it seems weird that any young people ever wanted to live in NH. The state seems to be anti gun unless it’s the wilderness. It seems anti young ripple. Anti development and anti diversity. Unless you’re seriously into snow and or pine trees or can’t afford MA I honestly don’t know what you’d see in NH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoSomething View Post
There has been an increase in younger people moving to/staying in the state. Not as much as many years ago, but definitely a trend upward from recent counts. I did a quick search and found a few articles about it. Here's one by NHPR. And here's one by Concord Monitor.
I’ll give these a read. I’m intrigued

Old 06-25-2019, 01:12 PM

This same article had a link to this

https://www.concordmonitor.com/Stay-...dings-17659984

“A joint survey of 420 residents from Stay Work Play and Eversource earlier this year found that young people tend to shy away from New Hampshire due to a sense of aloneness, unfriendly public policy on issues important to young professionals and a perceived lack of opportunity.

One-fifth of those surveyed said they didn’t have a friend who lives close by and 1 in 4 have no family members that are easily accessible.” not exactly. Shining endorsement

Old 06-25-2019, 03:56 PM

5,414 posts, read 4,631,051 times
Places like Exeter may want to think about LOWERING THEIR OBSCENE PROPERTY TAXES. Even if someone GAVE YOU A HOUSE IN EXETER FOR FREE, they'll tax you out of it -- even if you make $100,000 per year. They must burn $1,000 bills, since it seems impossible for the town to impose such astronomical taxes while providing the childless residents with NOTHING in return.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:08 PM

21,474 posts, read 37,761,723 times
^
Yeah, Exeter property taxes are way too steep. You have to choose your towns wisely it seems, and carefully study the equalized tax rates over a long period of time. If I were to purchase property to retire in NH down the road it would have to only be in the Lakes Region, preferably Moultonborough. The tax rate there is $7.75/$1,000 assessed value. I know the town like the back of my hand, and there are plenty of reasonably priced properties that are away from the big lake as the town boundary is massive in size.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:21 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,436,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
^
Yeah, Exeter property taxes are way too steep. You have to choose your towns wisely it seems, and carefully study the equalized tax rates over a long period of time. If I were to purchase property to retire in NH down the road it would have to only be in the Lakes Region, preferably Moultonborough. The tax rate there is $7.75/$1,000 assessed value. I know the town like the back of my hand, and there are plenty of reasonably priced properties that are away from the big lake as the town boundary is massive in size.
Also one of the best school systems in New Hampshire

Old 06-26-2019, 05:30 AM

1,752 posts, read 1,327,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
I don't think higher taxes / more spending lead to better schools. More likely, people who value education are more willing to pay higher taxes for schools. Having seen public schools in action, I don't think the school makes much difference in how well kids do, it's the parents.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:33 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,028,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippany5 View Post
I've got a few questions on here for people, totally open ended and I want to hear your opinion.

New Hampshire experiences a "brain drain" where all the young people move out, and never come back which causes some economic problems. What can NH do to entice them back?

New Hampshire is just too far from Boston to to commute, Salem to Boston is more than an hour in traffic. Do you support the commuter rail option?

New Hampshire is also experiencing skyrocketing home prices due to towns forbidding new construction and rental units. Why are many so opposed to any form of development?

Stay in Mass, that should solve the problem

Old 07-02-2019, 08:28 PM

21,474 posts, read 37,761,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
I don't think higher taxes / more spending lead to better schools. More likely, people who value education are more willing to pay higher taxes for schools. Having seen public schools in action, I don't think the school makes much difference in how well kids do, it's the parents.
Actually, Moultonboro has excellent schools, and has about the lowest tax rate of any town in the state. This is due to the very high valuation lakefront properties, many of which are only occupied a few months a year by out of state residents. High tax towns with a low tax base, (research Claremont, NH court case), generally have more issues with schools that are not performing well.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:53 AM

5,414 posts, read 4,631,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
I went to Winnacunnet High School (Hampton; property taxes about 60% of Exeter's) and the education was superb; Exeter wasn't better. I went to UNH & graduated summa *** laude, & then graduate school in another state with a 3.94 GPA (4.0 being the maximum possible).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire